Mid-Ohio Motoring Club The Mid-Ohio Motoring Clubs forum. Visit our club site at www.midohiomotoring.com

A note on the club's "organization" and future...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 AM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A note on the club's "organization" and future...

Hello all...

Over the past few weeks, several people have approached me, either in-person or via PM with comments (positive and not-so-positive) as well as questions about the club's "organization". Given the cross-talk that I've seen in some of our threads and the PM's that Kara and I have received, I thought I'd make this thread to explain MY position on the club. This is not meant to be a huge discussion - in fact, I'm planning to not even bother looking in here after I post this. I simply want to make my intentions and goals clear for anyone that might be wondering.

First let me state right here: I am not looking for another job. Between working full time, traveling, writing another book manuscript, fixing up my classic and dealing with some family issues, I feel like I have basically 3 (maybe 4) full-time jobs already. Ask Kara how much sleep I get in a night as it is - here's a hint: it ain't much.

My MINI activities are my RECREATION. hence, my only agenda is "try and set up more opportunities to drive my MINI with my friends." That's all. All the other things: the new web site, the thread asking for activity ideas, etc. are a means to that end and that end alone.

There's an old quip that says "Academic politics are so vicious because so little is at stake". Well, I'd say that a non-paying, informal CAR CLUB has far less than even academia at stake. Maybe that's why some people seem up-in-arms. I honestly have no idea. All I know is that I'm not going to participate in politics. I am not "El Presidente" as someone jokingly said... I'm just a guy with a MINI that wants to do more stuff. Period.

On that vein, I also wanted to address the idea that some people seem to think I'm "taking advantage of Aaron's moving Outmotoring" to change the structure of the club. If you mean that I saw a potential break-down of the already-informal process we use to get together, then I suppose this is true. The old system was not working - people couldn't find us (ask Terry or anyone that found us via a Spotter Card left in their car). If you mean that this is some power play or that I'm pouncing on Aaron moving, however, then you simply could not be more wrong. I'm bummed that Aaron's moving just like everyone else - please don't suggest that I have some sort of ulterior motive for doing anything I've done, OK? Thanks...

So... to sum up:

- If you like the way things have always been done, and want to do simply a single meeting once a month (Mini Mornin') - that's fine. Nobody will look at you with the stink eye because you chose to not do an Autocross or a BBQ or a Spring Cleaning. Do what you want and leave the rest. Awesome.

-If you want to do MORE, however, or enjoy a more active level of participation - that's fine too. I've had several people come up to me and tell me that they're happy that someone's actually organizing activities, and have suggested more of them. Super! Glad to help. But I'll need everyone's help (that wants to give it), because, hey, like I said... already have 3 jobs. Don't want or need a fourth.

Nobody's being shut out. Nobody should feel disenfranchised. Do what you want - leave the rest. Want to do more?... Then do more. Or not. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't slam or snipe at people that want to do something you don't OK?

That's it. Anyone else want this soap box? I'm done with it...

Old 03-07-2008, 08:22 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
I was done with it two weeks ago. I appreciate those that want to organize events and organize the information needed for them. If I can join in on the fun and enjoy the friendships I've built with this group, that's great.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 AM
rigidjunkie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

First off thanks Matt for letting all of us know your intentions and reasoning in a new thread, I was/am tired of reading bickering intermixed with actual Mini talk.

Second I would like to say that I like and consider all of you my friends and would like for that arrangement to keep going.

Third I hope that all of you can take a moment and a deep breath before each and every post you type. I think everyone has very good intentions, but in the heat of reading other people's posts we react negativly to some and then type while angry. Try to give eachother the benefit of the doubt and read each message as a person trying to be helpful, because this is waht we are each doing.

Last, lets not aruge about insurance, parades, track days, club organization or anything other than which color is best (Pepper White no debate needed), S owners compensating for something, new vs. old Mini, and why Minis are better than all other cars ever made.

Be careful out in the snow and hope to see some of you at the parade and others at breakfast next month.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 AM
B.A.D.
5th Gear
Allen,

I resent the fact that you are now telling me what I need to do before responding to comments and threads made by others

Wait now that I took my deep breath I've changed my mind and think that it was good advice

Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
IMGRFX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rigidjunkie
All,

Third I hope that all of you can take a moment and a deep breath before each and every post you type.
Well said, Allen. Everyone keeps kicking a hornet's nest. I think everything that needs to be said has and no one is changing their minds.

Originally Posted by rigidjunkie
which color is best (Pepper White no debate needed)
OK.... NO.... Primer White is NOT the best color.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:18 PM
kimoz
5th Gear
CHILI RED iz THE FASTEST !!!

Allen, let's change your mirror covers to CHILI RED and see what happenz next time at Nelson's

Exhale

Last edited by kimoz; 03-07-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:52 PM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kimoz
CHILI RED iz THE FASTEST !!!

Allen, let's change your mirror covers to CHILI RED and see what happenz next time at Nelson's

Exhale
Good Evening Kim. How are you today? The snow is very pretty covering the trees. (I didn't want to post anything that might upset anyone or show that I'm just a grumpy old man)

Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
kimoz
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
Good Evening Kim. How are you today? The snow is very pretty covering the trees. (I didn't want to post anything that might upset anyone or show that I'm just a grumpy old man)
I am fine, thank you for asking. I made it home safely from work. SUVs are very slow in the snow and angry at the speedy chili red mini w/snow tires. Our plow guy has not done the driveway yet but that will not stop me from my "beer run". BTW - son got accepted to BGSU, NDSU, ASU, FIT, UC, and Embry Riddle in DAYTONA BEACH or AZ ...what should he choose???? Good thing mini will be paid off in time for college financing oops, OT as usual.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
bad venge
4th Gear
What there was snow today !!!! I was home sick with a 102 temp

Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your secret is safe with us Mark.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
BTW - son got accepted to BGSU, NDSU, ASU, FIT, UC, and Embry Riddle in DAYTONA BEACH or AZ ...what should he choose???? Good thing mini will be paid off in time for college financing oops, OT as usual.
Congrats Kim!!! You should be proud of Marty he's a good guy & a chimp off the old block. I think you should send him to all of those schools. Only school I was accepted to was the sunny valley reform school/karaoke bar.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:17 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bad venge
What there was snow today !!!! I was home sick with a 102 temp
Check your coolant level & if it's OK install a new thermostat.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
I am fine, thank you for asking. I made it home safely from work. SUVs are very slow in the snow and angry at the speedy chili red mini w/snow tires. Our plow guy has not done the driveway yet but that will not stop me from my "beer run". BTW - son got accepted to BGSU, NDSU, ASU, FIT, UC, and Embry Riddle in DAYTONA BEACH or AZ ...what should he choose???? Good thing mini will be paid off in time for college financing oops, OT as usual.
My daughter goes to BG. Good school! Close enough to visit but far enough you have to call first

Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Your secret is safe with us Mark.

That's not me I don't own a pink shirt

Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
That's the red buckeye shirt you have after if went through the laundry with the whites.

That kind of stuff happens to me a lot. That is why Babs won't let me touch the laundry anymore.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:14 AM
IMGRFX
4th Gear
I am a BG grad!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Oh British Green. That explains the car color.

Be careful not to lose the Corgies in the snow. I'd recommend anntena ***** on their tails.

Last edited by Crashton; 03-08-2008 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:05 AM
IMGRFX
4th Gear
Yeah. Bowling Racing Green University. That is it!
The corgis are doing bunny hops over the snow -- and they don't have tails, so I'm at a loss. I just have to look for the ears. I made a little path for them.. and I will have to do that again.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:34 AM
kimoz
5th Gear
My daughter goes to BG. Good school! Close enough to visit but far enough you have to call first
I think BG is out for him. He wants to move south or west. I think he is sick of the snow. My Jack Russell is hopping through the snow no bobble on her tail but she does have to wear a sweater. Later today she will not be able to hop out there.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Those little ones have the same ground clearance as my MINI... Not Much!

George the cat won't go outside today. I open the door & he just looks at me like I'm nuts. Yes he's right, I am.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
BG is west. Trouble is the roads stink over there. Straight as an arrow & as flat as last nights beer.

Isn't there a college down in Nelsonville? Easy access to some sweet roads.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:19 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
BG is west. Trouble is the roads stink over there. Straight as an arrow & as flat as last nights beer.

At BG they drink beer...in Nelsonville its home brew and moonshine

Old 03-08-2008, 07:25 AM
kimoz
5th Gear

oops - should have typed -- "desert west". Junior has until 3/17 to decide on a college or I'm signing him up for the air force

Old 03-08-2008, 07:38 AM
bad venge
4th Gear
We've got four mini dachshounds that are having clearance issues with all the snow ... I was thinking of renaming them Zig,Zag,and Zug to match the antenna *****

Old 03-08-2008, 07:48 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
oops - should have typed -- "desert west". Junior has until 3/17 to decide on a college or I'm signing him up for the air force
Kim he's gonna love the Air Force.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A note on the club's "organization" and future...