Lowcountry MINIS Club (Charleston, SC) The Lowcountry MINIS Club forum (Charleston, SC). Visit our club site at www.wecantdrive.com/forum/portal.php

meet mini chucktown

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
littlehandegan
Coordinator :: Low Country MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
meet mini chucktown

Just thought we should maybe have another get together! Maybe you guys can give some ideas! Chris , christy, dave? Lets get some ideas on dates places etc!

liljack and matchbox

Old 04-01-2005, 05:46 PM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
With the Autocross in Florence coming up, I am placing my vote on late April or May?

Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
We could meet May 10th

Mini of Charleston is doing that autocross thing on Daniel Island with Kuhmo tires.We could meet their watch some autocrossing and have lunch. May 21 Ill be autocrossing number 71 in Summerville in H-stock.I hope to plan to put something together as a meet in Myrtle beach possibly in July. Derek Blanton

Old 04-30-2005, 10:24 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lawbench191
Mini of Charleston is doing that autocross thing on Daniel Island with Kuhmo tires.We could meet their watch some autocrossing and have lunch. May 21 Ill be autocrossing number 71 in Summerville in H-stock.I hope to plan to put something together as a meet in Myrtle beach possibly in July. Derek Blanton
I have to work that day...but I will probably be over there during my lunch since I work on Daniel Island. It was tons of fun last year.

Old 05-04-2005, 01:25 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
Charleston thing

D'ont know why I was thinking that was going to be on a weekend. Cant go May tenth or the Eleventh.

Old 05-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lawbench191
D'ont know why I was thinking that was going to be on a weekend. Cant go May tenth or the Eleventh.
Don't feel bad, Derek. I thought it was a weekend, too. I was thinking of coming down for this since I hadn't been in Charleston in a while, but I can't do it on a Tuesday.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
I'm thinking May 21st after the Solo @ Summerville High School.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
>>>I'm thinking May 21st after the Solo @ Summerville High School.<<<

I can deal with the 21st. What's the plan? :smile:

Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 PM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
May 21st Summerville High School.After the SCCA Solo event

David that would be cool to do a Mini Meet after the SCCA Solo event in Summerville SC on May 21st. May be more Minis might like to come out and run that day also. If your interested you can go to www.scr-scca.com to see what it is all about and how to register if you want to run your car. I just joined the SCCA and really enjoying the sport after doing it twice at Myrtle Beach Speedway and at Florence Civic center. Derek Blanton

Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Originally Posted by Moorlockx
>>>I'm thinking May 21st after the Solo @ Summerville High School.<<<

I can deal with the 21st. What's the plan? :smile:

Autocross all day long, then hit a bar or whatever. I know I'll be ready for a few drinks after running Timing & Scoring all day long while shooting pictures when I have the chance.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:40 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
This sounds good to me...I'm off work the 21st and will be attending the autocross.

Dinner and drinks. :smile:

Old 05-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
Sounds like a plan to me. I'll meet up with you guys at the autocross some time in the early afternoon and join you for dinner.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:23 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
I'll be there but I know Christy will come up with another excuse as to why she can't show up for an auto-x. At this point I am not sure if she even knows how to auto-x

by the way... david is buying the drinks right?

Old 05-08-2005, 08:16 PM
VmpyrDavid
Minty Fresh
Originally Posted by CustomAV
I'll be there but I know Christy will come up with another excuse as to why she can't show up for an auto-x. At this point I am not sure if she even knows how to auto-x
Teh Truth.

His own drinks, yes.

Old 05-09-2005, 04:56 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CustomAV

I will be there with bells on lol, however....I'm not promising I actually know how to autocross...

Have we decided where we will be going for drinks....?

Old 05-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Autocross for dummies:

1) Walk the course at least once, so you know which way you're supposed to go around & through the cones
2) Get in your car
3) Drive the course as fast as you can, without knocking over any cones
4) Realize how much fun you're having, smile
5) Rinse, repeat

Don't try to compete with others at first, just try to improve on your own times.

Oh yeah, I recommend pumping your tires with extra air before the event, and letting them back down to "normal" pressure afterwards. If your tires are rated to go up to 50psi or higher, I recommend at least 40psi for the event (but still allow some room for heat expansion). The reason for the higher pressure? Stiffer sidewalls = better handling. Makes for a rougher ride and faster tire wear though.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:18 PM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
This is how I autocross:

Look around for someone that looks like they know what they're doing. Following them through the course to make sure I'm going the right direction.
Get in car.
Breathe In.
Drive first round slow to make sure I actually know where I'm suppose to be going (as to not look like I'm in search of a parking space)
Breathe Out.

Old 05-10-2005, 05:21 AM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
May 21st SCCA autocross with Minis

Guys autocross is safe.If you dont want to run come and watch the other Minis running.If any of you are apprehensive I can tell you it is a lot of fun. I will be at Summerville early that day to answer any questions about the procedure.Im still a novice but I have had the most fun and everyone in the SCCA goes out of their way to help you get started. It is safe and you really get to see what your Mini can do in a safe enviroment. In most autocross events the fastest speed is usually not over thirty miles per hour and you usually dont get out of second gear.At Summerville look for Number 71, 2003 MC Blue / White. I will be running in H-stock. Also the SCCA will provide you a Helmut if you need one. If you are bringing your own Helmut make sure it meets a Snell 95 rating. I hope I can have a cocktail afterward with some of you guys but I may have a function I must go to back with the wife at Myrtle beach. If you are interested in joining the SCCA, or getting more information about autocross, or would like to pre enter the event go to www.scr-scca.com Hope to see a lot of Minis their that day. Derek Blanton

Old 05-12-2005, 02:56 PM
elguapodh
1st Gear
Any idea how long you will be there? I have to work that day but would like to stop by after work if you are all still around.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
First car's out at 11am so I guess it'd just depend on how many people enter as to how long the day will last. As there's people that are going to be involved in running the autocross we'll be there as long as it's going on. Maybe someone else with past experience will be able to answer a bit more directly.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 PM
CustomAV
5th Gear
Considering that the summercille lot is small and that they run a 2 lap course on it to compensate.... and I have done it once before a few weeks ago. I would say it will be done around 3 or 4 if ther are about 80 cars registered. If there a more then of course it will take longer.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:32 AM
elguapodh
1st Gear
Thank you for the info. I'm supposed to get off between 4-5, but I may try to leave work a little earlier and stop by on my way home.

Old 05-14-2005, 04:40 AM
myminicoopah
3rd Gear
I look forward to seeing everyone!

Old 05-17-2005, 08:10 AM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
Autocross Summerville May 21st 2005

I was wondering about the course at Summerville if it was going to be a two lapper. The Myrtle Beach Speedway course was like that also.Nothing wrong with the small track especially when the MINIs are running.We do good on those. I should be arriving around nine or nine thirty in the morning along with my friend who runs his Mini in G-stock. Anyone that is interested in running as a novice can meet us in the pit area.Its important to attend the driver meeting which starts around 10:30am Come on out and watch anyway if you do not want to drive.Hope to see a lot of Minis their. Derek Blanton 71 HS.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:12 AM
lawbench191
2nd Gear
autocross May 21st.

We should be their in the afternoon also to do fun runs on the course after the main runs. Some Mini owners might like a ride through the course with a SCCA driver

Last edited by lawbench191; 05-17-2005 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spacing

Quick Reply: meet mini chucktown