JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Further mods to a JCW-S?

Old 03-15-2003, 11:59 AM
crashgearbox
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After looking over the JCW website and info on the soon to be available "upgades" for the MCS I have a few questions...and was wondering if anyone else had pondered this as well.

1. It appears in the info that no modification is made to the air intake...does this mean there is room for say a Madness system?

2. It also appears no change to the throttle body... again does this mean that a modified throttle body might be in order?

3. It would seem to me that an additional modification that might be prudent would be stainless brake lines and a higher boiling point fluid.

I'm curious to hear what others might be thinking.

Also a rumour I heard from someone in BMW's east coast offices indicated that the actual horsepower from a JCW modded MCS is actually around 208hp.

Any thoughts?

-crashgearbox

Old 03-15-2003, 12:01 PM
EliteCooperS
5th Gear
wat is the site?

Old 03-15-2003, 12:03 PM
crashgearbox
2nd Gear
>>wat is the site?

http://www.johncooper.co.uk

Old 03-15-2003, 07:55 PM
paulmon
4th Gear
>>After looking over the JCW website and info on the soon to be available "upgades" for the MCS I have a few questions...and was wondering if anyone else had pondered this as well.
>>
>>1. It appears in the info that no modification is made to the air intake...does this mean there is room for say a Madness system?
>>

They put in a "filter element" is my understanding, so yes a Rogue intake would help as the supercharger can now push more air.

>>2. It also appears no change to the throttle body... again does this mean that a modified throttle body might be in order?
>>

The throttle body would help too as it's not changed so it has the same restriction as the stock unit. Again, more air=better, especially since they've made the supercharger, head and exhaust flow better.

>>3. It would seem to me that an additional modification that might be prudent would be stainless brake lines and a higher boiling point fluid.
>>

The brake lines won't help with much, maybe stiffen the pedal feal a little, a high boiling point fluid can never hurt.

I'd add a better exhaust manafold to the JCW kit. Larger intercooler would be cool (no pun intended) too, if Randy ever lets us in on the details of such a mod.

However at around $6000us I still say the JCW kit is WAAAY over priced. Add the header for around $1000us and the intake for $240 you're talking over $7000us! A little nuts of you ask me.

I can't wait until some magazine gets ahold of the "Works S" to see how it dynos and tests out.

Paul

Old 03-16-2003, 06:27 AM
Daytona955i
4th Gear
>>>>3. It would seem to me that an additional modification that might be prudent would be stainless brake lines and a higher boiling point fluid.
>>>>
>>
>>The brake lines won't help with much, maybe stiffen the pedal feal a little, a high boiling point fluid can never hurt.
>>

Actually brake lines do help. Normally when you step on the pedal, the pressure causes your brakes to activate. When you step on the pedal without steel braided brake lines, the normal brake lines will expand and absorb some of the pressure you are applying to the brakes. (I believe this increases as the line warms up) The steel braided brake lines do not allow the hoses to expand. Of course what something with a lot of horsepower needs is something like the Brembo big brake kit, new rotors, new calipers, brake fluid and steel braided brake lines. I think you'll probably want more than just the lines and the fluid, specifically bigger rotors that are designed to disapate heat and bigger, better pads.
-Chris