JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW installation in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:55 AM
mr_rhino
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW installation in NJ?

Wanted to know if anyone has had good or bad experiences with any of the three MINI dealerships in NJ (Princeton, Morristown or Mahwah) installing the JCW package. Have heard good things about other dealers outside of NJ, but don't want to be traveling all over the USA.

Also, are there any additional pieces that don't come with the JCW '05 MCS Tuning Kit? I recall reading elsewhere in NAM of folks not getting all of the pieces to their JCW package that they were led to believe. My understanding is that for the '05 MCS, the kit includes:
- New Stainless central exhaust
- Replacement cylinder head
- Replacement supercharger
- New Spark Plugs
- New Fuel Injectors
- New Air Filter
- Updated ECU download
For those of you that have this package installed on their (post Jan1,2005) '05 MCS, can you confirm, elaborate, or correct me?

Thanks in advance,
Rhino

Old 03-05-2005, 10:19 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't comment about JCW kit installation but I can comment about the dealers. Never been to Princeton though. I used to get serviced at Morristown - now I won't let them touch my MINI even though they're only 20min away from me. I drive 1+ hrs to Prestige in Mahwah. Generally good service and VERY GOOD customer service. I like them a lot although they did break my oil filter cap and some other peices b/c they opened it wrong and it snapped my aftermarket oil pressure gauge tubing. That sucked. But other than that, they've been very good. I'd probably trust them to do it.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:46 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Hi Rhino, I bought my baby at prestige in Mahwah. They have been awesome. After i had the car for awhile i heard about the WORKS and put my name on the waiting list. It took about 3 months and i had it. Prestige installed my WORKS and its been awesome. The engine compartment was covered in white spots. It was from antifreeze. That sprayed all over. I was a little annoyed. They offered to clean it up. But i wanted to do it myself. They also mounted the John Cooper Works grill badge cockeyed. You would only notice it if i pointed it out. Oh yea! Almost forgot. After the install i was driving around and i kept on hearing this tapping when ever i made a turn. Long story short. It was a little blue mag-lite flash light that some one left in the cowl behind the fire wall. I had to remove the cowl vents to get it out. No big deal. At least the mag-lite matches my car. Other than those small things that really don't matter. Prestige has been awesome with my baby.After all nothing and know one is perfect. But Prestige comes close with service. I would recommend them.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:57 PM
mr_rhino
Neutral
Thanks for the replies. Would appreciate hearing more from others too.

Like greatgro, Morristown is closest to me, but something in the back of my head has been telling me no. Maybe it's the feeling that the sales folks are not as knowledgable as they should be, or their acknowledged fact that most are new to selling MINIs. Well, I realize that you've gotta' start somewhere, but not on my dime. Especially if I'm looking to purchase a loaded MCS. I'd really like to deal with people that own MINIs themselves. A good warranty and excellent customer service to back that warranty up is important to me.

Back 6-12 months ago, Princeton's Service dept. had a significant number of bad comments on NAM and MINI2, but I don't recall what for specifically. Their sales staff seemed competent though. Maybe things have changed...

cycleguru- Any issues with getting the entire Works Tuning package (injectors, air box/filter, ECU update, etc.) from Prestige? How long ago did you have the JCW package installed? Have you had a chance to explore the true performance capabilities (and quirks if any) of your new "pocket rocket"? Would you do it again?

Thanks-
Rhino

Old 03-07-2005, 04:06 AM
cycleguru
4th Gear
Yes i would do it again, I got my baby in aug of 2003. Had the car for 1400 miles then got the WORKS.About september of 2003. So i got to feel it both ways with and without.All i can say is you will feel like you have power when ever you need it. I have the k&n typhoon intake on my car now.The whine of the supercharger is very pleasing to the ear when you punch it.I like the look and sound of my K&N . So i will not be getting the new cold box intake from John Cooper.I would go back to Prestige again. But i would tell them to be nice to my engine compartment and just give me a flash light in person. Good luck Rhino and see you soon at a rally or run in jersey .
Manny