JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW for a MC

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:34 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW for a MC

I jsut got done looking at the JCW UK site. I see that there is a Works package available for us with the regular Coopers. The web site says to contact your authorized dealer for further info.

Since my dealer is closed by now, I was wondering if any one had any info on this? I know the package includes a JCW air intake, exhaust and and ECU upgrade. Does any one know what kind of performance boost this gives and what would the associated cost be?

Any info is appreciated.

TIA

Old 02-26-2005, 12:07 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Expensive option for MC but only 3 HP?

Originally Posted by goaljnky
I jsut got done looking at the JCW UK site. I see that there is a Works package available for us with the regular Coopers. The web site says to contact your authorized dealer for further info.

Since my dealer is closed by now, I was wondering if any one had any info on this? I know the package includes a JCW air intake, exhaust and and ECU upgrade. Does any one know what kind of performance boost this gives and what would the associated cost be?

Any info is appreciated.

TIA
You might do a search on motoringfile.com for all the articles on the JCW kit upgrade for the MC which has been out for several months at least. It's expensive and doesn't offer much HP gain but JCW offers a warranty as usual. This older JCW kit for the MC is not for the new 2005 MC- see below

From
http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/01/...oper_sound_kit
Estimated cost is about approx £750 to 1,000.00 or 1'500 €

Quote:
The John Cooper Works Sound Kit also has an additional offer on the drive wheels: Together with modified engine management software and the stainless sports exhaust complete with the John Cooper Works logo, the sound kit increases engine output by 2kW/3 bhp, giving the MINI Cooper maximum output of 87kW/118 bhp. A certificate signed by Mike Cooper himself, finally, confirms that this is really genuine equipment from John Cooper Works. The John Cooper Works Sound Kit is scheduled to enter the world market in late February 2005.

Info on the old JCW kit for MC before 2005
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/05/...kit_components
Quote:
Kit includes-
Cylinder Head, Air Filter, Cover Injection Tube, side & rear Emblem, and the Sport Exhaust. All the other components listed are just standard stock items that replace what comes off the car.

The quoted time for installation is 5 hours. Add that to the $2650 sticker price and you have around $3100 depending on your dealers hourly rate. As stated earlier the Cooper's horsepower jumps from 115hp to 126hp while peak power comes on earlier and is more readily available. The torque goes up 4lbft to 114 and it's peak is actually 4750rpm rather than the standard cars 4500rpm level.

Also from 4/29/04:
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/04/...ming_to_the_us

---------------
For $3000 you can just buy a Cooper S.
Warranty included at no extra cost.

Last edited by minihune; 02-26-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:55 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Yeah,

While I thought having a JCW kit would be cool and add some uniqueness to the car and maybe some value in the long run (not that I plan on ever selling it, I would rather just buy another one and have a stable), this upgrade just doesn't sound like a good deal. Only 3 hp? I know they can do better than that.

Thanks for the links and the input.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:43 PM
lotsie
Banned
3 Hp is not worth any mod,IMO,and at $1000.00 a horse,I'll just use what I got.Besides,I like running at 4500 RPM+,6000 RPM is even more fun
Ya don't have to speed to run the car where it likes to rev