JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

to JCW or not to JCW???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to JCW or not to JCW???

I am not sure if this is the place to do it... but I know there are people out there with the JCW packages on their MINIs...

What do you think?

Worth the almost $5k to it?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:04 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
I am not sure if this is the place to do it... but I know there are people out there with the JCW packages on their MINIs...

What do you think?

if the warranty is worth that much to you and the name as well, then i'd do the jcw too... i just think its a bit too much... they aren't doing anything that can't be accomplished with 3 grand...

but if the warranty is worth it for that.. then go for it.. jcw is proven reliable... and in case it doesn't.. the warranty is there.. .if you go aftermarket you always run the risk of something damaging something else...

Old 02-24-2005, 08:04 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, queenie.....I think that price is only for the parts, and doesn't include the install! So, you have to decide if you want to have the JCW warranty or go after-market for about 1/4 the cost with the pulleys/chips etc. I'm sure plenty of folks will weigh in....

Clover

Old 02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Nick_T.
4th Gear
My JCW cost $5,995 installed at Crevier BMW/MINI in SoCal. If I could turn back the calendar a year I'd wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

BTW - - How do you expect to become the Queen of Nebraska while living in Roseville?

Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Queen/Nebraska: I see in your Sig that you have an MCSa en route. I thought that JCW's weren't available for the automatic tranny, due to lack of power handling? If so, obviously not only will aftermarket save you dollars, but gives you the chance to tailor the modifications to your performance and aesthetic happiness (i.e. not just engine work, but suspension and brakes too).

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 02-25-2005, 03:18 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear

What do you think?

Hi and welcome,

Try the search on the "performance" forum. This subject has been beaten and beaten over and over. You'll find some pretty strong opinions. The warranty seems to be the big issue. I think other big advantages are that you can add it into your financing if you take it at delivery. 210 crank HP is pretty stout and if you don't think you will want more the JCW makes a lot sense considering.

It think it depends on how unique you want your car. I have had a lot of fun picking and choosing my mods. Reading and posting to get the opinions of people with a lot more knowledge than I has been ....fun. If you want to set and forget your car I would lean toward JCW. If your the type that likes to "play" with your toys you may want to consider aftermarket. I will tell you that aftermarket has proven to be very addictive to me.....and others. (drug of choice) I am way over the $6K mark. I mean way over.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:23 AM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
GO FOR IT......ITS WORTH IT....AND ABOVE ALL... PIECE OF MIND!

Old 02-25-2005, 05:38 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The upside of the JCW is that it is plug and play, and the warranty. The downside is that you can achieve the same level of performance with much lower $$ outlay via the aftermarket.

It comes down to your priorities. If you enjoy installing parts, picking and choosing amongst performance options to get the best value and performance, all with no warranty, whilst saving money, go aftermarket.

If you prefer 'one stop shopping', with a warranty, and knowing that any issues that crop up will be handled no questions asked by the dealer, go JCW.

Both approaches have their merits, what's important to you?

Old 02-25-2005, 05:41 AM
BrewSwapGuy
Formerly PassatDoTd
Ryephile - I believe the JCW kit for the auto trans will be released this summer.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 AM
WindMeUp
4th Gear
I went JCW because of the warranty, the warranty and the name are the only reasons to do it, it's a lot cheaper to go with aftermarket mods.

Old 02-25-2005, 09:22 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I struggle with this! But in the end I say aftermarket! The JCW does not justify the price. The aftermarketr has proven reliability. And as pointed out the JCW as well as the LSD are not available for the SA

Old 02-25-2005, 09:41 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by PassatDoTd
Ryephile - I believe the JCW kit for the auto trans will be released this summer.
My dealership says that JCW for the auto MCS models is not confirmed so I think you are taking a chance if you get an MCS with auto transmission now thinking that you'll add JCW later. Might not happen.

JCW kit is an easy and expensive upgrade for power/performance but it does not address improvements in handling which require other suspension and wheel upgrades.

With as little as $1000 you can do quite a bit of power upgrades using aftermarket parts but you don't get the JCW warranty.

Consider that-
A stock MINI has the highest resale value for it's purchase price
A JCW MINI if not further upgraded and with warranty intact also has a high resale value relative to it's price.
A modified MINI may have trouble selling once upgraded- buyer's are not interested in MINIs that have been "tracked" or driven hard.

Old 02-25-2005, 10:13 AM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Old 02-25-2005, 06:33 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
I can search!??! Didnt know that. Thanks for the links!

Oh and thanks to everyone else for the advice...

Decided to go with the JCW... because I am not that into working on it... I might be later, and I can go from there.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I am a certified gearhead. I'm an engineer, and I've done all of my own automotive work for over 20 years. Even with that background, I'm going to have the JCW package installed upon delivery of my new MCS. (Well, 97% sure)

I agree with the crowd that says that the JCW is hideously overpriced. It is. So are lots of other things. I read in a forum that a water pump for a MCS is around $1000. To replace this water pump requires the removal of the front bumper (and cover), the radiator, and the A/C condensor (which requires discharging the freon, etc). See where this is going? During several dealer visits and test drives, I have spent some time peeking under the bonnet of these beasts. I figured out really quick that I don't really want to work on it, and I don't want to pay over $100/hr for someone else to. Warranties are good.

My MINI is going to be my daily driver (75 mile round trip commute) and the nearest dealer is over 100 miles away, so I want to keep my warranty in effect. Considering the length of my commute, I'm even considering getting the extended warranty.
As a tinkerer, part of me would like to get an MCS, modify it to my own specs, and be proud of my accomplishments. If I weren't planning to use my MINI for my primary car, that's what I'd do. Since the circumstances are as they are, this time I'm taking the easy way and getting the JCW kit.

There's no absolute right or wrong answer to this...just consider your circumstances and factor in the amount of risk you're comfortable with.

Rawhyde

Old 02-26-2005, 11:42 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Oh No!

ACK!!!

I think I might have a problem...

I heard a rumor... That the JCW kits are for manuals only...

Well my MA talked me into it, knowing I have an automatic...

Can I still get it?!?!?

(hopefully my hopes and dreams wont be shattered here...)

Any other recommendations (for aftermarket) ???

Old 02-27-2005, 12:02 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
ACK!!!

I think I might have a problem...

I heard a rumor... That the JCW kits are for manuals only...

Well my MA talked me into it, knowing I have an automatic...

Can I still get it?!?!?

(hopefully my hopes and dreams wont be shattered here...)

Any other recommendations (for aftermarket) ???
Queenie,

Yeah...several posts above did state that the MCSa doesn't necessarily have the JCW option available....yet. So, you don't want to get the 6-speed tranny? It sure is FUN!!! And you definitely have the JCW option with it!

Clover

Old 02-27-2005, 12:24 AM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Rawhyde
I am a certified gearhead. I'm an engineer, and I've done all of my own automotive work for over 20 years. Even with that background, I'm going to have the JCW package installed upon delivery of my new MCS. (Well, 97% sure)

I agree with the crowd that says that the JCW is hideously overpriced. It is. So are lots of other things. I read in a forum that a water pump for a MCS is around $1000. To replace this water pump requires the removal of the front bumper (and cover), the radiator, and the A/C condensor (which requires discharging the freon, etc). See where this is going? During several dealer visits and test drives, I have spent some time peeking under the bonnet of these beasts. I figured out really quick that I don't really want to work on it, and I don't want to pay over $100/hr for someone else to. Warranties are good.

My MINI is going to be my daily driver (75 mile round trip commute) and the nearest dealer is over 100 miles away, so I want to keep my warranty in effect. Considering the length of my commute, I'm even considering getting the extended warranty.
As a tinkerer, part of me would like to get an MCS, modify it to my own specs, and be proud of my accomplishments. If I weren't planning to use my MINI for my primary car, that's what I'd do. Since the circumstances are as they are, this time I'm taking the easy way and getting the JCW kit.

There's no absolute right or wrong answer to this...just consider your circumstances and factor in the amount of risk you're comfortable with.

Rawhyde
I'm pretty handy,can a least understand what is happening with my car.I do 100+ miles a day commute,work all the time right now,and so I got an extended warrenty,100K miles or 5 years,at the rate I'm going now I will hit the miles with about 6 months before the time is up.Then the 07 turbos come out and I'm going for the fun again

Old 02-27-2005, 07:09 AM
Craig_N
2nd Gear
IRT the warrenty question, my dealer, Towson Mini, will install Mini Mania parts while maintaining the factory warrenty. Only catch is the installed parts are not covered by the warrenty, of course - have to go through Mini Mania for that. However, I can pick anything out of their catalog, have the dealer install it (expensive, but worth it), plus keep my factory warrenty. Very nice.. :-)

Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
One other thing..Every Mini dealership can/will work on JCW. I don't know of any aftermarket that can claim that.

SO unless you live to a great garage or super mod friendly dealer your SOL.

Most HP for $..aftermarket.

Peace of mind..JCW.

Paul