Help me identify Dynamic Damper Control >

JCW Help me identify Dynamic Damper Control

JCW Help me identify Dynamic Damper Control

Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Warren2185
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Help me identify Dynamic Damper Control

EDIT: I don't need this answer anymore. It was answered below.

I picked up my 2019 John Cooper Works 2dr hardtop. It has the Signature trim. I ordered it and test drove the dealer model 8 weeks ago. I can't tell if I have the Dynamic Damper Control. I thought during the test drive you could see a separate display toggle type thing that addressed the suspension settings separate from the general settings of "Green, Mid, and Sport". On mine, In all the display (and lower physical toggle) settings, all I'm finding is the general driving modes Green, Mid , Sport" and nothing about suspension separately at all. Maybe the Dynamic Damper Control isn't separate from the general driving, but does change with those settings?

Just thought I'd ask here before calling the dealer back. Thanks.

Last edited by Warren2185; 04-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:56 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Congrats on your new JCW! I hope you have many miles of smiles with the new MINI

I have DDC on my '19 JCW & can confirm that there are no separate settings or controls to tweak the suspension. In mode setup for Sport, you can choose to have the Sport settings applied to the drivetrain and/or suspension, but it doesn't get more detailed or granular than that.

If you're wondering if you got the DDC or not just check the window sticker or list of options.

HTH

Old 04-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Warren2185
2nd Gear
Fridayxxi,

"In mode setup for Sport, you can choose to have the Sport settings applied to the drivetrain and/or suspension, but it doesn't get more detailed or granular than that."

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks for responding.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:54 PM
sleepingpanda
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I know you said its answered already. But easy way to tell is pop the hood. There should be a harness coming out of the top of the struts. If not it's just a flat cap.

The following 2 users liked this post by sleepingpanda:
fridayxiii (04-16-2019), Warren2185 (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Warren2185
2nd Gear
Thanks sleepingpanda. and thanks for posting the picture for others to see also.
Here is what happened as I posted on another thread. So it was the reason I was asking last week. Here's what I wrote:
Not that this is helpful to anyone, but I special ordered my 2019 JCW 3 dr hardtop with the DDC. The paperwork I signed was clear as a bell that mine would have the Dynamic Damper Control as part of the signature package. I took delivery last week and it was built without the DDC. Just the sport suspension.

I brought it to the attention of the salesman (a nice guy) but he said: "It wasn't built at the factory with it, we cannot add it afterwords"

I said: "But I'm showing you my signed order sheet that has Dynamic Damper Control one inch above my signature."

Salesman: "But that's not the way the factory built it...,you cannot add it"

I said (not this kindly)..."I think you're missing my point...WHY wasn't it built as I ordered it? Can I talk to the manager?"

They tracked it down to an error by the dealership in the order process, and whole-heartedly admitted it. They offered either to take my car back and have one built correctly with another eight week wait. Or write me a check for $1,000 as a settlement. That morning I did the paperwork selling my other car to a different dealer. I had no vehicle at that point and they said they wouldn't provide one for me, which I totally understood. I took the check.

One of the bad things the manager talked about was there is no charge for it as part of the signature package. If you do the "Online Build" the box is pre-checked with it.

There's my saga...no Dynamic Damper Control either.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:11 PM
dube53
5th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Warren2185 View Post
Thanks sleepingpanda. and thanks for posting the picture for others to see also.
Here is what happened as I posted on another thread. So it was the reason I was asking last week. Here's what I wrote:
Not that this is helpful to anyone, but I special ordered my 2019 JCW 3 dr hardtop with the DDC. The paperwork I signed was clear as a bell that mine would have the Dynamic Damper Control as part of the signature package. I took delivery last week and it was built without the DDC. Just the sport suspension.

I brought it to the attention of the salesman (a nice guy) but he said: "It wasn't built at the factory with it, we cannot add it afterwords"

I said: "But I'm showing you my signed order sheet that has Dynamic Damper Control one inch above my signature."

Salesman: "But that's not the way the factory built it...,you cannot add it"

I said (not this kindly)..."I think you're missing my point...WHY wasn't it built as I ordered it? Can I talk to the manager?"

They tracked it down to an error by the dealership in the order process, and whole-heartedly admitted it. They offered either to take my car back and have one built correctly with another eight week wait. Or write me a check for $1,000 as a settlement. That morning I did the paperwork selling my other car to a different dealer. I had no vehicle at that point and they said they wouldn't provide one for me, which I totally understood. I took the check.

One of the bad things the manager talked about was there is no charge for it as part of the signature package. If you do the "Online Build" the box is pre-checked with it.

There's my saga...no Dynamic Damper Control either.
Was it really a deal breaker?

Furthermore, they offered an incentive to cover their mistake and you could eventually have gone through a better deal.

I would have ask for a loaner in the meantime they could find something already at another dealership and stay committed to the sale.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 AM
Warren2185
2nd Gear
Hi dube53,

Right, it wasn't a deal breaker. That's what I meant by "I took the check". I accepted their offer to cover the mistake. He even mentioned finding a different JCW at another dealer, but my special order was without a sunroof, but still including the signature package. So nearly all the other ones had sunroofs. Besides. after two days with a JCW, it was like Christams. No way I'm giving it back for eight weeks. LOL
You're Blue coupe looks great.
Warren

Old 04-15-2019, 05:14 AM
02fanatic
5th Gear
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts
My 2015 JCW doesn’t have a sunroof nor DDC “by design”! You got a better car trust me! I’m not a fan of DDC...the stock sport suspension is superb! Plus, if you ever decide to install coilovers it will be cleaner than dealing with the DDC.

Enjoy it just the way it is!

The following 2 users liked this post by 02fanatic:
dpcompt (04-18-2019), Warren2185 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 PM
dpcompt
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Sports Suspension

Originally Posted by 02fanatic View Post
My 2015 JCW doesn’t have a sunroof nor DDC “by design”! You got a better car trust me! I’m not a fan of DDC...the stock sport suspension is superb! Plus, if you ever decide to install coilovers it will be cleaner than dealing with the DDC.

Enjoy it just the way it is!
I have owned 2 R56Ss and a '15F56S and now a '19F56 JCW. The MINI suspensions have evolved dramatically over the years. My '08S had the sports suspension and was just unbearable with runflats. I bought a '12S with 16" wheels and the stock suspension and still changed to some Michelin A/S3s. The car felt great, but without the handling of the sports suspension. When I test drove a '19 JCW with it's standard (sports suspension), I was shocked how compliant the car's suspension was, and still had the sports suspension feel with minimal lean. My new '19 JCW came with 18" wheels and I need to have an all season tire ( daily driver). While the car had an acceptable ride and handling, the Michelins ( though not totally necessary) improve the overall ride and handling. Just an observation from a longterm MINI owner.

Old 04-19-2019, 05:20 AM
Warren2185
2nd Gear
dpcompt, I appreciated that input. I upgraded from a 2008 r56 Mini Cooper S. I drive a particular road everyday that had bumps on just the left side tire area of the road that would pitch my 2008 sideways every time (pretty severely actually). And my new 2019 JCW hits those exact same bumps and tracks straight. It's a stark difference so I'd definitely agree with you the suspension has evolved beautifully.

I was initially concerned that the 2019 Sport Suspension ride would be too harsh and that's why I wanted the DDC so I could soften it up as needed. As it turns out, for my use, the Sport Suspension is not too stiff at all, and I'm betting if I had the DCC, I wouldn't switch it to soft anyway, ever. If anything, I'd consider even a larger rear sway bar to flatten the handling even further. No desire to lower it at all. But I really love it. No wonder you've owned a few.

Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM
N0B0DY
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
The DCC in sport mode is still softer than the sports suspension. On rougher roads, being able to set it in the softer setting is a big plus.

The following users liked this post:
Warren2185 (04-19-2019)