JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW need new engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 AM
nels415
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
need new engine

Hi all,

Disappointingly, my 09 JCW overheated and I've lost all compression from cylinder 1. My mechanic says I need a new engine. Trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to go ahead and pursue a rebuild. I haven't been able to verify whether there is a difference in the JCW engine vs. the S engine. I believe I read something about the JCW having forged pistons.

I'm at 88k and the car ran fine until I got around to changing out the thermostat housing, but at that point it was too late my mechanic said, he told me I probably waited too long. I was refilling the coolant as it leaked out, but it did it rather slowly, so I thought I had more time. Anyhow, if anyone has any leads on getting a rebuilt JCW N14 engine, let me know.

My mechanic said a rebuilt engine with core should run about $3,500. That seems to be in line with ones I'm seeing on ebay. Would you just cut your losses and get rid of the car now or put in like $5500 to get it running again. That seems like the cheapest option now for me.

If anyone would like to share their thoughts, would appreciate thanks.

-nels

Old 12-07-2018, 12:06 PM
grunte
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you love the car you should keep it and get it fixed - especially if you don't owe money on it.

Unless paying cash for a new car you will payments. Those payments will $400.00/mo for a 20k car with no money down. $600.00/mo for a 30k car with no money down.

$5,500.00 equals approximately 11 car payments of $500.00/mo.

Cheaper to keep it if the rest of it is in good shape! Of course...just my opinion.
Mike

Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
A new engine is about $6k so if they can rebuild it for 3500 that would a be a good deal. But the engines for a JCW are different with different pistons and such so don't just put a regular N14 in it.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-10-2018, 06:05 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
How did you determine your engine overheated?

When the compression test was performed, where was the air escaping to?

did you consider other issues like a burned exhaust valve (known issue with JCW motors) that could've coincidentally happened with loss of coolant?

did you get a second opinion? did you take the valve cover off to see the condition of the timing chain, it could've failed coincidentally too?

If the car was mine and the damage was indeed a warped head, I'll just replace the head.

Summery is, don't settle for one diagnosis!

Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by nels415
Hi all,

Disappointingly, my 09 JCW overheated and I've lost all compression from cylinder 1. My mechanic says I need a new engine. Trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to go ahead and pursue a rebuild. I haven't been able to verify whether there is a difference in the JCW engine vs. the S engine. I believe I read something about the JCW having forged pistons.

I'm at 88k and the car ran fine until I got around to changing out the thermostat housing, but at that point it was too late my mechanic said, he told me I probably waited too long. I was refilling the coolant as it leaked out, but it did it rather slowly, so I thought I had more time. Anyhow, if anyone has any leads on getting a rebuilt JCW N14 engine, let me know.

My mechanic said a rebuilt engine with core should run about $3,500. That seems to be in line with ones I'm seeing on ebay. Would you just cut your losses and get rid of the car now or put in like $5500 to get it running again. That seems like the cheapest option now for me.

If anyone would like to share their thoughts, would appreciate thanks.

-nels
My auto mechanic buddies impressed upon me one doesn't rebuild an engine that suffered from overheated or loss of oil and oil pressure.

If your car's engine overheated to the point it lost compression in any cylinder that is not the engine to rebuild.

If you want to rebuild an engine for your car buy a similar MY car with an engine that is in ok shape, maybe with "high miles", but maybe the rest of the car ain't so hot, yank the engine and rebuild that engine and sell the donor car as a roller. You can put your engine in the roller car first but of course you have to disclose the engine's condition when you sell the car.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:41 PM
Sokol
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i have a complete n18 jcw swap 50k miles tranny engine all for 6k will come with ecu not sure if you can put an n18 update into n14, what you think guys?