JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

2006 jcw

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 PM
CV1148
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 jcw

This is my 2006 Mini Cooper JCW. I purchased it for 8k. The price was high but the pickings were few in San Diego. I only wanted a 2005 or 2006. It came with 74,000 miles.

In 2004, I was looking for a Mini Cooper and instead bought a 350Z track edition because I kept hearing about the issues that the early Mini’s were plagued with. Loved the 350z at the time but always regretted not buying a Cooper. After my son was born, I had to get rid of the 350z (no back seat). Now, happily divorced, I finally have the car I always really wanted. I am beyond happy. This car is my back up car, I have a 2001 Xterra that I have since it was new. I don’t plan on putting many miles on the Mini because I either bike or run to work everyday. I currently only put 200 miles a month on the Xterra and will probably put less then 100 on the Mini since I’ll still use the Xterra.

The Mini included the optional JCW suspension, brakes, wheels, aero kit, and CF dash.

I spent $100 to change all the light bulbs inside, as well as the license plate, and taillights to Philips LEDs. The price included the resistors for the LP lights and taillights. I have yet to install the tail and LP lights. To be honest, the interior lights look nice but it’s perhaps a bit to bright for my liking. I’m a Police Officer and we have LEDs inside our patrol cars for ease of typing/writing reports at night and they remind too much of work. Don’t regret buying the bulbs but could have easily done without.

I bought the Philips LED fog lights for $120 on Amazon. It matches the color of the HID lights and the driving light ? that was previously changed to LED bulbs by the previous owner. Happy with this purchase.

In the interior I added the CF JCW shift **** purchased from ECS for $65. This is by far the best money spent. The big ugly bulky stock shift **** was terrible. The JCW shift **** is super comfortable and matches perfectly with the JCW CF dash. Super happy with the shift ****!! I also bought the non-logo JCW e-brake handle that is just ok, expensive but it completes the look, $112.

I bought a Bluetooth adapter for the HK sound system from Amazon for $65. It adds Bluetooth and a microphone to make calls. It works very well and installation was super easy. The steering wheels controls work and the sound is clear

I changed the front and rear stock JCW/Mini rotors and brake pads to drilled Brembo rotors and Brembo brake pads and added ECS SS brake lines. $400 for all the parts from a few different retailers and with a few hook-ups from the mechanics that maintain the patrol vehicles. I initially was just going to change the Mini factory brake pads because of the dust they made and decided to add the SS brakes lines since I’m used to braking hard at work all the time. When I realized I was going to disconnect the calipers, I just decided to change out the rotors as well. I also painted the rear calipers to match the front. The braking is much better now, probably due to the brakes lines only (or perhaps the newly painted rear calipers LOL), but the brakes pads produce much less dust, so happy with the overall purchase.

In the engine compartment I am adding strut reinforcement plates from ECS. No problems yet but might as well be safe. I was planning on changing the JCW paper air intake filter, but the previous owner had already changed it with the Madness filter. I’m happy with the engine and plan to keep it stock.

When I was changing the brakes my buddy noticed a slight leak from the CV boot so we are changing the axle next week. That seems to be the only problem the vehicle had. The axle was $115 on ECS. Any future purchases and upgrades are going to be for maintenance/replacement, and only when needed.

Thank you to everyone here that asks questions and those that answer them. I bought the car in late December and have learned soo much about my Mini and have been able to trouble shoot with your help.

Jose

Attached Thumbnails 2006 jcw-img_0201.jpg   2006 jcw-img_0200.jpg   2006 jcw-img_0202.jpg   2006 jcw-img_0191.jpg  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:17 PM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Super nice JCW. Thanks for sharing. Does it have a sunroof?

I bought a 05 JCW 1.5 years ago after 13 years with a 03. I love it. I wish it was a different color. But it is the same color as my 03 but no sunroof and 210 HP.

I had to do all same mantinace items.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:39 AM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts
Nice find, congratulations.

The following users liked this post:
CV1148 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 AM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Clean looking car

CV1148 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
that's not a high price for a jcw!

Old 01-23-2018, 05:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Congrats and super clean, nice to see it has the super rare CF dash and the aero kit. Thanks for the orders, that thing is a gem!

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
CV1148 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:22 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Welcome to NAM. You have the best of the Gen1s. Properly maintained the Tritec engine has many miles remaining on it.

At those miles and as the years do impact rubber;

1.) Crank sensor o-ring. They last perhaps 30,000 miles. Located about 3" above the oil pain about dead center of the radiator.
2.) The factory passenger side motor mount and the lower dogbone engine mount should be checked.
3.) The two power steering hoses that attach to the fill reservoir might be leaking
4.) Have you changed all the fluids; coolant, brake, transmission and of course motor?
5.) The water pump if not replaced in nearing the end of the life cycle.
6.) The belt tensioner has a shock on it and the bushings do degrade.
7.) The crank pulley is also a life cycle item where the rubber that connects the outer to inner pieces rots. Way Motors has a 2% overdrive unit that will get you some more boost.
8.) A stiffer rear swaybar is a good inexpensive suspension upgrade.
9.) Detroit Tuned has a Bypass Valve with a stiffer spring. The boost comes on sooner but as most cannot resist, the gas mileage goes down.

CV1148 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 06:02 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by mega72
that's not a high price for a jcw!
I was thinking it was a good deal.

Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Welcome to NAM. You have the best of the Gen1s. Properly maintained the Tritec engine has many miles remaining on it.

1.) Crank sensor o-ring. They last perhaps 30,000 miles. Located about 3" above the oil pain about dead center of the radiator.
2.) The factory passenger side motor mount and the lower dogbone engine mount should be checked.
3.) The two power steering hoses that attach to the fill reservoir might be leaking
4.) Have you changed all the fluids; coolant, brake, transmission and of course motor?
7.) The crank pulley is also a life cycle item where the rubber that connects the outer to inner pieces rots. Way Motors has a 2% overdrive unit that will get you some more boost.
9.) Detroit Tuned has a Bypass Valve with a stiffer spring. The boost comes on sooner but as most cannot resist, the gas mileage goes down.

Good list, I'm working on a lot of these things now.

CV1148 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
She's a beauty! Congrats.

CV1148 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:03 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by CV1148
This is my 2006 Mini Cooper JCW. I purchased it for 8k. The price was high but the pickings were few in San Diego. I only wanted a 2005 or 2006. It came with 74,000 miles.

In 2004, I was looking for a Mini Cooper and instead bought a 350Z track edition because I kept hearing about the issues that the early Mini’s were plagued with. Loved the 350z at the time but always regretted not buying a Cooper. After my son was born, I had to get rid of the 350z (no back seat). Now, happily divorced, I finally have the car I always really wanted. I am beyond happy. This car is my back up car, I have a 2001 Xterra that I have since it was new. I don’t plan on putting many miles on the Mini because I either bike or run to work everyday. I currently only put 200 miles a month on the Xterra and will probably put less then 100 on the Mini since I’ll still use the Xterra.

The Mini included the optional JCW suspension, brakes, wheels, aero kit, and CF dash.

I spent $100 to change all the light bulbs inside, as well as the license plate, and taillights to Philips LEDs. The price included the resistors for the LP lights and taillights. I have yet to install the tail and LP lights. To be honest, the interior lights look nice but it’s perhaps a bit to bright for my liking. I’m a Police Officer and we have LEDs inside our patrol cars for ease of typing/writing reports at night and they remind too much of work. Don’t regret buying the bulbs but could have easily done without.

I bought the Philips LED fog lights for $120 on Amazon. It matches the color of the HID lights and the driving light ? that was previously changed to LED bulbs by the previous owner. Happy with this purchase.

In the interior I added the CF JCW shift **** purchased from ECS for $65. This is by far the best money spent. The big ugly bulky stock shift **** was terrible. The JCW shift **** is super comfortable and matches perfectly with the JCW CF dash. Super happy with the shift ****!! I also bought the non-logo JCW e-brake handle that is just ok, expensive but it completes the look, $112.

I bought a Bluetooth adapter for the HK sound system from Amazon for $65. It adds Bluetooth and a microphone to make calls. It works very well and installation was super easy. The steering wheels controls work and the sound is clear

I changed the front and rear stock JCW/Mini rotors and brake pads to drilled Brembo rotors and Brembo brake pads and added ECS SS brake lines. $400 for all the parts from a few different retailers and with a few hook-ups from the mechanics that maintain the patrol vehicles. I initially was just going to change the Mini factory brake pads because of the dust they made and decided to add the SS brakes lines since I’m used to braking hard at work all the time. When I realized I was going to disconnect the calipers, I just decided to change out the rotors as well. I also painted the rear calipers to match the front. The braking is much better now, probably due to the brakes lines only (or perhaps the newly painted rear calipers LOL), but the brakes pads produce much less dust, so happy with the overall purchase.

In the engine compartment I am adding strut reinforcement plates from ECS. No problems yet but might as well be safe. I was planning on changing the JCW paper air intake filter, but the previous owner had already changed it with the Madness filter. I’m happy with the engine and plan to keep it stock.

When I was changing the brakes my buddy noticed a slight leak from the CV boot so we are changing the axle next week. That seems to be the only problem the vehicle had. The axle was $115 on ECS. Any future purchases and upgrades are going to be for maintenance/replacement, and only when needed.

Thank you to everyone here that asks questions and those that answer them. I bought the car in late December and have learned soo much about my Mini and have been able to trouble shoot with your help.

Jose
Very Nice ride,welcome to NAM..

Which BT unit did you buy, when you say it works with the steering wheel control, is it just the volume that works, or does the phone button and music advance work?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 AM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

I too too would like to know more about the Bluetooth kit you got. Does it allow for music streaming or is it voice only?

Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 AM
CV1148
Neutral
Originally Posted by gpwpat
Super nice JCW. Thanks for sharing. Does it have a sunroof?

I bought a 05 JCW 1.5 years ago after 13 years with a 03. I love it. I wish it was a different color. But it is the same color as my 03 but no sunroof and 210 HP.

I had to do all same mantinace items.

Yes it has a sunroof. In California this is a plus, even with the extra weight. Right now it's a bone chilling 75 degrees and sunny. These cold winters are tough!!!

Old 01-24-2018, 09:35 AM
CV1148
Neutral
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts

Thanks for the list!!!

I'll look into to it all.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:49 AM
CV1148
Neutral
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
Very Nice ride,welcome to NAM..

Which BT unit did you buy, when you say it works with the steering wheel control, is it just the volume that works, or does the phone button and music advance work?
Originally Posted by AeroJammin
Congrats and welcome!

I too too would like to know more about the Bluetooth kit you got. Does it allow for music streaming or is it voice only?

Amazon Amazon

i bought this one from Amazon. The phone and RT button don't work BUT you can answer and reject calls from the skip song buttons. Also the skip song feature and volume works as well.

Its a tiny box that some have mounted under the toggle switches. I just hid it behind the stock receiver. I have no access to it, but on my other vehicle's stereo I have never used a SD card for music, or used a aux input for music because it had BT. It also has a usb input, but like most usb on stereos, the charge is not enough to keep up if you are using GPS Maps, so I have no need for that either.

It sounds super clear and the BT connection is great and i never have to reconnect. The instal is super easy, basically pug and play. will have to remove stereo, but should take a total of less than 10 minutes for install. The one exception is if you have a factory iPod connection. You will need to cut a few wires and remove iPod connection or the BT will not work. It is super easy as you can see by the color of the wires which need to be cut and attached to the new harness provided. Just unplug battery if removing IPod connection.

gumbedamit (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:33 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Congrats, great looking with some rare accessories.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 01-29-2018, 09:25 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi and welcome to the NAM family!
The 06 JCW is the epitomy of the Cooper name. You have chosen the best year and model possible! Congrats!
It looks great!