JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2009 JCW Turbo Wastegate issues...options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 04:09 PM
uber.bucket
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 JCW Turbo Wastegate issues...options?

Hey all..

I have about 87k and some codes have popped up related to boost pressure. The local shop superficially diagnosed that it *most* likely is a wastegate failure, and sadly they do not do turbo rebuilds, mainly since Mini doesn't offer any parts either.

What have you high mileage JCW owners been doing to fix your aging turbos?

Not in a position to buy a brand new one right now since retail is over $1800 :(

Thanks for your opinions!

Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
We've seen many of these fail and as low as 60k miles. The waste gate is the most common part to fail.
We also offer the JCW turbos at a cost effective price.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/jcw-tu...8-r59-r60.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-25-2017, 07:41 AM
uber.bucket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We've seen many of these fail and as low as 60k miles. The waste gate is the most common part to fail.
We also offer the JCW turbos at a cost effective price.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/jcw-tu...8-r59-r60.html
thanks, can't afford a brand new one at the moment so I guess i'll just be limping along for a while longer

I was hoping there was *someone* out there that rebuilt/swapped when a turbo goes bad...I knew a guy who did this with Audi/VW turbos 15 years ago, but he's not around anymore. Dang!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:48 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
http://gpopshop.com/services/turbo-upgrades/
I got this link from this forum, forget which thread. They were saying good things about them. No personal experience.

The following users liked this post:
uber.bucket (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 02:43 PM
uber.bucket
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LostbutFound
http://gpopshop.com/services/turbo-upgrades/
I got this link from this forum, forget which thread. They were saying good things about them. No personal experience.
thanks for the recommendation!

Just got in touch with them and they are able to rebuild if it's a faulty flapper with a more robust part...if it's the electric solenoid part then they said they couldn't do much about that.

Very nice and informed guy on the other end, so if I end up going rebuild route, i'll definitely be doing business with these guys. I called a couple others and they never bothered to call back.

thanks again! Definitely cheaper and i'll end up with a more durable turbo than just direct oem swapping that would die in another 60-80k miles.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:03 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by uber.bucket
thanks for the recommendation!

Just got in touch with them and they are able to rebuild if it's a faulty flapper with a more robust part...if it's the electric solenoid part then they said they couldn't do much about that.

Very nice and informed guy on the other end, so if I end up going rebuild route, i'll definitely be doing business with these guys. I called a couple others and they never bothered to call back.

thanks again! Definitely cheaper and i'll end up with a more durable turbo than just direct oem swapping that would die in another 60-80k miles.
Are they going to do a full turbo rebuild, or just a wastegate actuator rebuild?

Old 10-25-2017, 05:23 PM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Turbo Rebuild Service - JMTC

We have a NAM vendor who specializes in rebuilding MINI turbochargers. Check them out at-

http://jmtcperformance.com/jm40-jcw-...s-n14-and-n18/

No slight intended on other vendors who rebuild turbos, but JM Turbo Coopers sponsors this site, has a good reputation, and if you call, Arric will give you sound advice.

Your other option is to watch the classifieds for a used turbo....although, with the labor involved and with all of the collateral parts that need to be replaced it usually makes more sense to go with a new or rebuilt turbo. Whatever you do, do not buy a brand x turbo from ebay....

Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by bugeye1031
We have a NAM vendor who specializes in rebuilding MINI turbochargers. Check them out at-

http://jmtcperformance.com/jm40-jcw-...s-n14-and-n18/

No slight intended on other vendors who rebuild turbos, but JM Turbo Coopers sponsors this site, has a good reputation, and if you call, Arric will give you sound advice.

Your other option is to watch the classifieds for a used turbo....although, with the labor involved and with all of the collateral parts that need to be replaced it usually makes more sense to go with a new or rebuilt turbo. Whatever you do, do not buy a brand x turbo from eba y....
You might be able to check your wastegate with a boroscope - remove the top O2 sensor and go in from there. If the wastegate is broken/loose as I've seen in the past (P2885), you will be able to see it pretty easily.

I dropped an email to Arric and he reminded me that his wastegates are designed more robustly and will hold higher boost levels than stock wastegates. Seems like a no-brainer when my turbo reaches the end of its service life.