JCW Getting the most from an F54 engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Pseudarius
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting the most from an F54 engine

I have been driving an '08 Mellow Yellow Cooper hardtop for the past 8 years. Overall, I loved this car and although it was less than optimal getting an infant carrier in an out, it predated my daughter by 6 years so I made it work despite snarky comments from friends and family (I was opening the hatch and maneuvering her through to the passenger side with the driver-side back seat flat).

With the second one on the way (arrived last week), two carseats are just not going to be an option. I toiled for months over the 4-door vs the new Clubman, but in either case, I wanted an S because after eight years, I want the extra power and speed! Luckily the stalling paid off as the Clubman JCW has come to fruition. I finally made the order a couple of weeks ago, and just got notification that it went into production last week; delivery is still a month away.

Being that I am going from 118hp to 228, I have been trying to research how to push my car further to 240 or 250. The Clubman JCW is only about 6 months old now, and most of the posts I've seen are several years old and reference the earlier generation JCW hardtop. I will likely not mess with anything that will void my warranty - at least for the first few years - but I'm looking for advice as to long-term projects.

As a geologist, I'm not well-versed in the mechanics of the engine or the acronyms associated with all the modifications, so talking simply would be appreciated!

I have heard things referencing "Stage " and "Stage 2" (not sure if this is related to the JCW tune) as well as IC (which I assume is intercooler), and finally, exhaust. Are these modifications already available for an F54?

Thank you in advance! Pix when it finally arrives!

Old 07-08-2017, 05:40 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
I'd recommend driving the car for a while to see if you feel the need for more power. I originally planned to add several power-adding mods, but after having the car for a few months, my impression is that it really doesn't need more power. Considering that I've always modified my cars, this is unusual for me, but it really is very quick out of box.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 PM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The quick fix is a Dinan or NM ECU piggyback that add roughly 30hp/45ftlbs of torque. This engine already exists in higher states of tune in other BMW models so that is not stressing it.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:42 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 07-09-2017, 06:03 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
There are a lot of good options and I may still go that route; however, don't go nuts with mods before you learn the car. I found the acceleration to be much better than expected, so I focused my initial mods on handling. NM 25 mm bar and CravenSpeed Big Pair transformed the car ... turn-in and cornering are awesome.

Even without mods it's a very well-balanced car. Drive it for a while and you'll know how you want to make it yours. I certainly know that my pre-delivery perceptions were not the same as my post-delivery experience.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:16 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
I'd recommend driving the car for a while to see if you feel the need for more power. I originally planned to add several power-adding mods, but after having the car for a few months, my impression is that it really doesn't need more power. Considering that I've always modified my cars, this is unusual for me, but it really is very quick out of box.
I'll second that. Going from a Gen2 Justa to a Gen3 JCW will keep you pretty busy right off the bat. I just did a Stage 1 ECU tune on my R58 JCW after having it for 3 years and it's a lot faster off the line, but I don't use the extra power all that much as the car is my DD. I sorta feel like I have to use it pulling away from stoplights because I have it. My wife thinks it's kind of obnoxious lol.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 07-11-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Pseudarius
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I'll second that. Going from a Gen2 Justa to a Gen3 JCW will keep you pretty busy right off the bat. I just did a Stage 1 ECU tune on my R58 JCW after having it for 3 years and it's a lot faster off the line, but I don't use the extra power all that much as the car is my DD. I sorta feel like I have to use it pulling away from stoplights because I have it. My wife thinks it's kind of obnoxious lol.

"Need" is definitely a loaded term. I have had the car for 7 days (and 700 miles) and I have to say, I am ecstatic with the car overall, but still feel that the power is lacking off the line - considering I have nearly double the HP I had before (but probably double the weight), I expected it to be quicker. Nonetheless, it rockets from 60-100 as effortlessly as my '08 would propel fro 20-60. Additionally, it is unfathomably solid at highway speeds.

In any case, my dealership now offers Dinan tuning, so I won have to debate the possibility of messing with the warranty. I was told an additional 51hp/70ftlbs(?) but he needs to check if the 2018 will accept it. I agree that I would feel the need to use it if I had it, but at the same time, I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it but want it!

Old 08-31-2017, 05:22 PM
2017All4
Super Moderator
Received 507 Likes on 383 Posts
Congratulations Pseudrius. Welcome to the Clubman Club to you and your growing family!!

Get your hands on that car, and then spend a couple hundred on a plug-in tune box... because you can, and you need to. I mean, car seats add extra weight that can really slow things down. And drive safely, with your family and all.