JCW Need pad help for NEW Stoptech rotors, F56 JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:40 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Need pad help for NEW Stoptech rotors, F56 JCW

Yes you read that correctly. I have been the "beta" guy for a brake company that has been working on a set of newly developed F56 JCW Stoptech rotors. This process started last September, and I finally received them last week. I'm not even sure if they're advertised anywhere yet. So the issue (as usual) was the fact that buying any mod (or a lot of mods) for a gen 3 F56 JCW is difficult. So I placed an order for a complete set of slotted and dimpled rotors from a company that carries Stoptechs, being VERY adamant that I have a '16 F56 JCW. So the set they sent me weren't even close. So they vowed to make them from scratch.

So my question is about brake pads. Mini sells their fronts (for the Brembos obviously) for almost $400, but I found a place that sells the actual Brembo pads for $297. My question is since all the stopping power comes from the fronts, can I get away with just standard oem Mini's for the rears? Or does anyone have another suggestion? I'll post pics soon, but since I'm changing to slotted and dimpled rotors I HAVE to get new pads. I know you're supposed to do that anytime you switch rotors.

BTW I am well aware that the oem rotors have perfectly fine stopping power, I got the Stoptechs for the "cool looking factor" only. They will look amazing behind my Rse12's fro NM.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
just for peace of mind, i'd put better compound pads in the rears. with stopping hard, all the force is going to the front, which could wiggle the car around a bit...you want *some* bite in the rear to not let it ALL go to the front...keep it somewhat balanced.

that being said, G-Loc R8's are a level 1 track pad for the rear. biting temps are 74degrees - 1000 degrees...

fwiw i'm on R8's in the rear with R10 up front.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 AM
BadakVT
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Endless MX72 is another good option for street/light track duty. Available from Nengun.com (made in japan).
Front: EIP249 (JCW 4pot Brembo)
Rear: EIP245

Stoptech is owned by Centric and they have the 330mm front JCW rotor already listed as part#34186 (probably thanks to your beta testing).

Rotors are also available from Tarox and DBA if you fancy two piece units.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:41 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BadakVT
Endless MX72 is another good option for street/light track duty. Available from Nengun.com (made in japan).
Front: EIP249 (JCW 4pot Brembo)
Rear: EIP245

Stoptech is owned by Centric and they have the 330mm front JCW rotor already listed as part#34186 (probably thanks to your beta testing).

Rotors are also available from Tarox and DBA if you fancy two piece units.
Yep! Those are mine! Can't wait to get them mounted. No more rusty rotors! Thanks for the update!

Old 06-25-2017, 02:13 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo
just for peace of mind, i'd put better compound pads in the rears. with stopping hard, all the force is going to the front, which could wiggle the car around a bit...you want *some* bite in the rear to not let it ALL go to the front...keep it somewhat balanced.

that being said, G-Loc R8's are a level 1 track pad for the rear. biting temps are 74degrees - 1000 degrees...

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by normtrum; 06-25-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:15 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear

Marco do you have a f56 JCW? If so how do you like the R10's on the Brembos?

Old 07-01-2017, 02:32 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by normtrum
Marco do you have a f56 JCW? If so how do you like the R10's on the Brembos?
i have an S but i have the JCW BBK upgrade, so for your purpose the answer is yes.

i am liking the R10's a lot. they handle the heat well and when i need them to stop, they stop. i was just at the track the last 2 days. here's a link to my best lap yesterday. feel free to check out how quickly i drop from 120+ down to 65.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:23 PM
nismo
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is another 100$ option for the brake pads - Ferodo FCP 4872
Or any bmw pads for f30 with M performance brakes, but in that case you have to grind out 3mm of extra thickness to make them fit

Attached Thumbnails Need pad help for NEW Stoptech rotors, F56 JCW-img_0217.jpg   Need pad help for NEW Stoptech rotors, F56 JCW-img_0213.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
normtrum (08-06-2017)
Old 05-02-2018, 05:49 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Marco I haven’t been on this site in several months....so this is the first time I’ve seen your video. Freaking awesome! By the sound of your engine you must have some 3” downpipes....amongst a few other things. Correct?

Ok after I hit submit I was able to see your specs. That thing is a beast! So I have the Mini Pro exhaust, NM power mod, Forge FMIC, and I run on 100 octane. Next on the list is the downpipes, and hopefully that 50mm turbo I read somewhere about. The downpipes alone, whether their catted or un-catted, it will most likely make me non-street legal. Even before the turbo upgrade. After I get everything done, I’ll replace the NM power mod and get it re-flashed.

Last edited by normtrum; 05-02-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by nismo
There is another 100$ option for the brake pads - Ferodo FCP 4872
Or any bmw pads for f30 with M performance brakes, but in that case you have to grind out 3mm of extra thickness to make them fit
FCP4611 fit too, with the same trimming requirement. No need to break tabs off either. They're really killer pads on this car. I had a little bit of squeak below 5mph while coming to a stop under certain pedal pressures, but they've been quiet since. Nice grabby pad, and takes heat like a champ.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 05-05-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Marco I haven’t been on this site in several months....so this is the first time I’ve seen your video. Freaking awesome! By the sound of your engine you must have some 3” downpipes....amongst a few other things. Correct?

Ok after I hit submit I was able to see your specs. That thing is a beast! So I have the Mini Pro exhaust, NM power mod, Forge FMIC, and I run on 100 octane. Next on the list is the downpipes, and hopefully that 50mm turbo I read somewhere about. The downpipes alone, whether their catted or un-catted, it will most likely make me non-street legal. Even before the turbo upgrade. After I get everything done, I’ll replace the NM power mod and get it re-flashed.
thank you. nothing too custom TBH...all bolt-ons with a tune. currently the car's at the shop though...i'm having a fuel pressure issue and i'm beyond stumped what it could be. good luck with your modding.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:21 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mattkosem
FCP4611 fit too, with the same trimming requirement. No need to break tabs off either. They're really killer pads on this car. I had a little bit of squeak below 5mph while coming to a stop under certain pedal pressures, but they've been quiet since. Nice grabby pad, and takes heat like a champ.

--Matt
not to deter from ferodo, but i'm running the G-Loc GS9's and they bite pretty well. fluid-wise i'm on SRF so it supports me for both the track and the street. i went with the GS9's so that the pad compound is compatible between street and track (R10/R8).

any idea of a good ferodo track pad?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
not to deter from ferodo, but i'm running the G-Loc GS9's and they bite pretty well. fluid-wise i'm on SRF so it supports me for both the track and the street. i went with the GS9's so that the pad compound is compatible between street and track (R10/R8).

Never heard of G-Loc before I saw them listed on ECSTuning.

I believe the DS3000 and DS1.11 are the more potent track pads.

--Matt

Last edited by mattkosem; 05-06-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:52 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear

So Marco, just to make 100% sure, your on G-Loc pads, R10’s fronts (Brembo’s), and R8’s back, with Castrol SRF Racing Fluid, which comes in 1 liter bottles for around $65?

Correct? The reason for the confirmation is because you mentioned in another post that your on R9’s.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:02 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
So Marco, just to make 100% sure, your on G-Loc pads, R10’s fronts (Brembo’s), and R8’s back, with Castrol SRF Racing Fluid, which comes in 1 liter bottles for around $65?

Correct? The reason for the confirmation is because you mentioned in another post that your on R9’s.
Yes. Originally on motul 600 but I was boiling it and finding a bunch of air. Gloc/carbotech do no come in r9...may have been a typo. I had started on r8 fronts but after 2 events between the cracks and the temp readings in the rotor, it was decided to jump to the r10.

The following users liked this post:
normtrum (05-15-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Ok....so I'm finally done with massive traveling for work, and I would like to purchase the G-Loc pads for my ‘16 f56 JCW, So I can finally install my sloted and dimpled Stoptech rotors....which ive been sitting on for months. Problem is I’m having trouble finding where to buy them. I’m working through Google searches and i cant find anything but the actual “G-Loc” site, which is a weird site to navigate. So....any suggestions on where to buy G-Loc 10’s (front) and 8’s (rear) for my JCW?

Mike

Last edited by normtrum; 05-19-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:43 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
what's wrong with going straight through the G-loc site. just call up and order them.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:17 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
what's wrong with going straight through the G-loc site. just call up and order them.
I dont know their site wasnt working. I couldn’t pull anything up. Just that black page. I can call them though, but their closed on weekends. I was just trying to see if anyone else sold them.

Mike

Old 05-21-2018, 01:32 AM
MiniF55
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone change the Sensors with their pad? If so, how frequent? Which kind? Please and thank you.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
I dont know their site wasnt working. I couldn’t pull anything up. Just that black page. I can call them though, but their closed on weekends. I was just trying to see if anyone else sold them.

Mike
while other sites do sell G-Loc, they don't exactly have them in stock...at least i don't think. everytime i call G-Loc they're made to order. as for the site not working, maybe it was down but i just went to the site and it seemed fine:
http://www.g-locbrakes.com/products/brake-pads/search/

usually a pad order is about 1.5 weeks from placing call to getting them in your hands, unless you place a rush order.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by MiniF55
Anyone change the Sensors with their pad? If so, how frequent? Which kind? Please and thank you.
sensors don't really have a lifespan, they just last as long as the pads last. OEM pads should last about 20-25k miles assuming normal driving, but if you happen to swap the pads before the sensors wear down, you dont' need to replace the sensors. they're just a rubber that wears down as the pad wears and when the wires inside the rubber get cut, you get the brake pad warning.

fyi, our cars have 2 pad sensors. 1 on the front (left or right i forget) and 1 in the rear (i believe passenger side).

Old 11-22-2018, 05:27 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Ok gang I still have not gotten my brake pads for my f56 2016 JCW. I had shoulder replacement surgery in June, so it hasn’t been a top priority. Mine is a manual.

So I want the G-loc r8’s for the rear, and r10’s for the fronts (Bermbos). Here’s the problem: I can’t find anyplace to buy them. For some reason none of my ipads (3) or my desktop will not let me pull anything up from the G-loc site. I just keep getting that black home page. I can’t even pull up their contact information! What is the deal? Can anyone help me out? I thought that tomorrow being Black Friday, they might even be on sale. I have know idea why G-loc won’t let me pull ANYTHING up! Help!

Happy Thanksgiving to all BTW!

Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Site works for me at the moment.
G-LOC Brakes
503 Performance Rd.
Mooresville, NC 28115

Toll Free: 844-9-BRAKES
Local: 704-765-0213
Fax: 704-765-0329

Old 11-23-2018, 08:43 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks

Hi - I’m terribly sorry but I don’t know your name. My name is actually Mike, not “Norm” like everyone thinks due to my screen name.

So so I just pulled up your link, and thank you so much.......that is exactly what I’m looking for. Now I have not placed my order yet, but I did call. I have had such bad luck ordering “mods” for my car, a lot of times it’s due to the fact that I have a f56 JCW. So I just want to make 100% sure I’m ordering the correct pads. If you are in “sales” you are more than welcome to call me, or leave me a number to call you. Just send me a PM if you’d like to go that route. I have to be honest, I was actually expecting these pads to be on some sort of “Black Friday” sale.....but it looks like there not. Still....I do want them. So R10’s on the front (Brembo of course), and R8’s for the rear. Plus a bottle of Castro SRF Racing Fluid. Is 1 pint all I need? Or do I need to buy 2 bottles?

Thank you!

Old 11-23-2018, 11:48 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Whoops check that last post. I see you don’t carry Castrol SRF racing fluid, so I just ordered 1 bottle from Amazon. Less than $60! Pretty good price!