JCW Replacing my R59 with an F56 JCW -

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 02:26 AM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing my R59 with an F56 JCW -

after 11 warranty claims....

Dealer was awesome, but not the overall experience.
I shopped other cars but my wife and I still love the Mini brand...

So expecting delivery Mid May.

happy and sad at the same time...

+400cc weeeee

is it true the cars take 2000 KMs before they give you full power?

Old 02-25-2016, 02:29 AM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
already shopping mods:
NM 22mm with Links, springs and power module...

Thoughts on NM intake and Tie?

Thinking the factory exhaust might be enough... though i got to enjoy a week with an F56s JCW Pro exhaust volume.. might be too much for our law enforcement to warrant the overpriced $ tag though...

Last edited by dbdecker; 04-04-2016 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-25-2016, 08:31 AM
RottVet
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool, sorry you had so much trouble with the R59. I recently got a JCW, a great car, but my R59 out handles it big time ,IMHO. Maybe it is partly the tires, have all seasons on the new one. The JCW has way more power of course The sway bar should help, and I should have got the standard sports suspension instead of the DD system. Have fun with you new JCW!!!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:13 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbdecker
already shopping mods:
NM 22mm with inks, springs and power module...

Thinking the factory exhaust might be enough... though i got to enjoy a week with an F56s JCW Pro exhaust volume.. might be too much for our law enforcement to warrant the overpriced $ tag though...
Can't comment on the JCW pro exhaust, but it is switchable for quiet to loud, but if noise is a problem, don't get the exhaust I have, the AWE tuning Track exhaust. Quite loud when you really give it the gas. The NM power module on the other hand I definitely endorse. Nice bang for the buck at just under $400 with a simple install that can be switched from low to high depending petrol rating and how aggressive you are driving. Makes the car feel like it should have been from the factory. Great passing power and enhanced fun. Again, don't know about NM's intake, but AWE tuning is coming out with a carbon fibre cold air box next month with supposedly very good results so you might wait and see what they come up with.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:24 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Too bad about the R59 JCW. I have a similar car and love it. I'm sure you'll love the F56 JCW though. I drove my friend's F56 (not JCW) and it needs at least a rear sway bar which you already got. But there's something about the R59/58 look and handling. I didn't want to wait for the F56 JCW to come out with I was shopping for mine in 2014.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:15 PM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
thanks for the replies.
Basically i've lost the trust on this particular car.
My R59 has Stage 3 hardware and tune along with the GP underbelly pans (3) and diffuser. The Akra/JCW exhaust combo on a convertible was a beautiful mix!
I will miss it! but the memories are there...
I guess I've also stopped throwing cars around as much as I used to...

I might stick with the stock exhaust for 6 months and see how it warms up.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:56 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I just had the PRO exhaust done and it is marvelous sounding and there is no drone when it is off to mention. It is pricey, but what is a motorized symphony worth! Congratulations on your new acquisition and hopefully it will serve you faithfully and well.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 AM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KYDan
I just had the PRO exhaust done and it is marvelous sounding and there is no drone when it is off to mention. It is pricey, but what is a motorized symphony worth! Congratulations on your new acquisition and hopefully it will serve you faithfully and well.
I may just end up biting the bullet on it too..

Did you add it to a JCW? and also is yours manual or auto?

Old 02-27-2016, 04:01 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, MITEY 2 is a Rebel Green, Chili Red Checkerboard Top, JCW with an automatic transmission. 1st mini with an auto for us and it has taken some adjustment to get used to it, but it is a marvelous transmission. The manual shifts with the paddles are smooth and seamless and much faster once you master them than the manual. I still miss the stick and clutch sometimes, but the automatic is a better mouse trap. We traded our 2012 R56 JCW when we bought this one. It was a standard. The F56 is a superior machine in most areas.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:27 AM
02fanatic
6th Gear
Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts
already shopping mods:
NM 22mm with inks, springs and power module...

I didn't see anybody answer your question about break-in miles. There's been alot of discussion on this topic, but bottom line I believe the majority of owners at least take it easy for awhile. I wouldn't autocross it or rev to the max until totally broken in though....that would be dumb. Some say the engine is broke in at the factory....if you believe that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you! LOL!

Seriously, my first day with my new JCW saw about 40 easy miles on the way home in mid mode....then I started to get the feel of the car....I don't know if I kept it under 4000 rpm or not, but I do know that I didn't thrash it....not my style. You really need to get the feel of the car IMO during break in including the rev matching feature...that felt weird to me....I'm old school manual only type of guy! I loved that once I figured it out! So, I'm at less than 600 miles still and the car drives better all the time. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.....one thing for sure the stock JCW is smoken fast & will make you smile!!!

As to your question about the Pro exhaust...I didn't even know about any of the JCW Pro add ons when I ordered my JCW....thats OK but I really think the front splitters should at least be standard on the JCW. I haven't really experienced the full sound of the stock exhaust yet because I havent driven that hard and backed off that much....its quieter than I expected though. I do think it will be fine. Im not sold on the Pro-Exhaust.....I know it is louder but having all the exhaust required to exit through only one side when the flap is closed concerns me....I think it may rob power, at least it will rely on only one of the two tailpipes most of the time right?....so one exhaust tip will be blacker than the other one over time. Not knocking the Pro, but I think it's a gimmick not like a true race exhaust....if I ever swap I'd consider the AWE track exhaust since it's all meat! But I will likely stick with stock as it's perfectly fine & over time the muffler may loosen up a bit....or maybe some company will come up with a low restriction muffler replacement to reduce back pressure for both tailpipes!!....if that happens the Pro Exhaust will go by the wayside IMO.....too cutsie for me I think, but it definitely has its place for now & sounds great when the flap is open...but what's the efficiency compared to stock when the flap closed? I'd need to know more before going with that system.

My advice?....enjoy the car in stock form for awhile. I'm loving mine!

Oh yeah, I am absolutely convinced I did the right thing "for me" going with the sport suspension & no DDC!

To each their own.....but one thing we all have in common...we have a great MINI in the F56 JCW....I don't think most people realize just how good this car really is! ☺

Cheers,

John

Last edited by 02fanatic; 02-27-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:02 PM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
Thanks all for the comments.

I drove my R59 a 1000 before any spirited driving. My moneys worth to much to me to thrash a new car too.

Id forgotten the pro locks a pipe. I did think about that a while ago...

I expext it will take a few months for me to drive everything in. Including delivery delay thats 6 months at least before ill be ready to mod. That will give a good half year of 'is it worth it?' reflection. I also like to make sure there are no immediate warranty issues.

My dealer told me the r59 had been "driven?" in... then proceeded to tell me the first service details at 1000 kms (Aussie) and to take it easy.

We get the DD suspension stock here, and it was my "happy wife" preference.

I will still be NMing it up though. Just likely later in the year.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:03 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,767 Posts
NM Eng has some great stuff for the F56. Just came out with JCW fitment wheels.

Sorry to hear the R59 is gone, I love my R58 JCW.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 PM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Sorry to hear the R59 is gone, I love my R58 JCW.
don't get me wrong, I love the R59... Seems I just got the lemon copy.

On a Plus though, the Engine has been fine (timing 'tensioner' aside). Just lost the trust on this particular copy.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:46 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, might just be one of the few.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-09-2016, 06:25 AM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
Had to get the R59 fixed again... this time, fuel pump. I get the car back Monday next week.

Car was wanting to stalle when cold, apparently a known issue with the 2012 pump stock. They did swap it to a hpfp under warranty though, which suprised me greatly.

5-6 weeks till the new car arrives.
Its all getting bitter...

Ive sold the r59 to the dealer, i cant in good faith sell it to somone random... signiture updated to sold status. Ill be going carless for the last 4 weeks...

Old 04-11-2016, 11:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
What year was the production on the R59 ?

Old 04-11-2016, 12:29 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
His sig said 2013.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:45 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, but thats the time frame they changed things up on the N18. 3/2012 thing were changed.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:29 PM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yea, but thats the time frame they changed things up on the N18. 3/2012 thing were changed.
Its the n14 build, made 2012 but sold as a 2013 build. No idea why that is actually...

Last edited by dbdecker; 04-11-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:35 PM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
The dealer seems to think that several of the parts I have had replaced had been revised with improvements, such as the timing chain.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:44 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Its the n14 build, made 2012 but sold as a 2013 build. No idea why that is actually...
Do things different on the Euro build dates. So its has the older N14 pump. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-r56-jcw.html

Old 04-14-2016, 07:43 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 02fanatic
I didn't see anybody answer your question about break-in miles. There's been alot of discussion on this topic, but bottom line I believe the majority of owners at least take it easy for awhile. I wouldn't autocross it or rev to the max until totally broken in though....that would be dumb. Some say the engine is broke in at the factory....if you believe that I have a bridge I'd like to sell you! LOL!

Seriously, my first day with my new JCW saw about 40 easy miles on the way home in mid mode....then I started to get the feel of the car....I don't know if I kept it under 4000 rpm or not, but I do know that I didn't thrash it....not my style. You really need to get the feel of the car IMO during break in including the rev matching feature...that felt weird to me....I'm old school manual only type of guy! I loved that once I figured it out! So, I'm at less than 600 miles still and the car drives better all the time. Maybe I'm just getting used to it.....one thing for sure the stock JCW is smoken fast & will make you smile!!!

As to your question about the Pro exhaust...I didn't even know about any of the JCW Pro add ons when I ordered my JCW....thats OK but I really think the front splitters should at least be standard on the JCW. I haven't really experienced the full sound of the stock exhaust yet because I havent driven that hard and backed off that much....its quieter than I expected though. I do think it will be fine. Im not sold on the Pro-Exhaust.....I know it is louder but having all the exhaust required to exit through only one side when the flap is closed concerns me....I think it may rob power, at least it will rely on only one of the two tailpipes most of the time right?....so one exhaust tip will be blacker than the other one over time. Not knocking the Pro, but I think it's a gimmick not like a true race exhaust....if I ever swap I'd consider the AWE track exhaust since it's all meat! But I will likely stick with stock as it's perfectly fine & over time the muffler may loosen up a bit....or maybe some company will come up with a low restriction muffler replacement to reduce back pressure for both tailpipes!!....if that happens the Pro Exhaust will go by the wayside IMO.....too cutsie for me I think, but it definitely has its place for now & sounds great when the flap is open...but what's the efficiency compared to stock when the flap closed? I'd need to know more before going with that system.

My advice?....enjoy the car in stock form for awhile. I'm loving mine!

Oh yeah, I am absolutely convinced I did the right thing "for me" going with the sport suspension & no DDC!

To each their own.....but one thing we all have in common...we have a great MINI in the F56 JCW....I don't think most people realize just how good this car really is! ☺

Cheers,

John
02 check the dynamometer runs with the JCW PRO and the AWE, they are virtually the same.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 AM
dbdecker
2nd Gear
I Get it this Friday,
half hour after pick up (and training session with Dealer etc) its off to the exhaust shop (next door) then to the tire shop (around the corner) then to a mates garage to put on some of the mods listed in my signature. Springs, links and rear will be done separately in a few weeks to make sure there are no factory defects with the car first.

Exhaust i wanted to keep clean for storage, and the P7 tires are being sold immediately... Photos will be issued.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Are you getting the NM power module? I'm tempted, I'll admit that. I'll be interested to hear how this car handles compared to the Roadster in terms of cornering.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, I had and R58 before my F56 JCW and the cornering is about the same, with the F56 maybe eeking out a small advantage. R58 was/is still just a tossable, stable platform, but the F56 has power.. LOTS OF POWER (especially with the Power Module fitted).

Quick Reply: JCW Replacing my R59 with an F56 JCW -