JCW NM Module in a JCW

Old 04-10-2016, 07:29 PM
AtariRada
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
Shell premium here is generally 93 octane, possibly to compete better with BP and Valero who offer 93. Are you going to have the dynamometer test with 100 octane at the high setting or Shell 91?
We get 91 due to altitude. Elevation reduces the need for higher octane in most cases. I don't have plans to dyno it right now, maybe down the road.

To answer the other question... I have not noticed any lag. It's pulling hard at mid range and I feel like it lets up a little at top end. I'm hoping the intake and eventually exhaust takes care of that. I've worn about 50% of my Blizzaks down at just 2500 miles. Putting the Dunlaps back on next week.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
The pro exhaust demonstrated that on the dynamometer runs that I had done. The torque curve was much flatter with the exhaust open and generated considerably more torque than with it closed.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:03 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin Dubsky
i've just ordered from ECS NM-Module for my F56 JCW, i have Euro version and here in Czech republic have 95 and 100octane,...i use only 100oct. hope in no issue!

Owners with NM module do you feel any lags or big "turbo effect" after installation? I hope in stronger gradual power increase...and save the linear behavior of JCW.

THX! Martin

Thanks for the order ! Glad you have that high octane , in Eastern Europe when i was there it was hard to find. Russia and Estonia , it was slim to none. I think Moscow has a couple stations. But your not far from Germany and Austria.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-11-2016, 02:55 PM
Martin Dubsky
Neutral
:-) thx for feedback on NM module i hope i will enjoy it too (now is mine in Poland, Warsaw...maybe next day delivery) :-)

Interesting is than NM module use only Tmap sensor and reach great results and linear B48 motor power increase. Other modules as JB4, Racechip or Maxi-tuner use more different sensors connection on power-boxes.
I can't find which power module is better for motor if each has +/- same HP results? But i decide NM module based on results with connection only on Tmap.

My next mod will be JCW PRO exhaust if you mentioned better results :-)

PS: yep Czech rep. is next to Germany and Austria, and in Germany is best gasoline 102+ :-) When i was 2 years ago on road trip on East coast i can't believe how cheap gasoline in US is, here in Europe is 50% more expensive ....grrrr. :-)

Old 04-11-2016, 03:58 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Martin Dubsky
:-) thx for feedback on NM module i hope i will enjoy it too (now is mine in Poland, Warsaw...maybe next day delivery) :-)

Interesting is than NM module use only Tmap sensor and reach great results and linear B48 motor power increase. Other modules as JB4, Racechip or Maxi-tuner use more different sensors connection on power-boxes.
I can't find which power module is better for motor if each has +/- same HP results? But i decide NM module based on results with connection only on Tmap.

My next mod will be JCW PRO exhaust if you mentioned better results :-)

PS: yep Czech rep. is next to Germany and Austria, and in Germany is best gasoline 102+ :-) When i was 2 years ago on road trip on East coast i can't believe how cheap gasoline in US is, here in Europe is 50% more expensive ....grrrr. :-)
If you go to the thread in this forum started by jetmechanic "Yeah, got my JCW dynoed today and follow the posts there is an image of my dynamometer test that has one result with just the NM module and JCW PRO exhaust with the valve closed and the other with the valve open on the same printout. You can see the difference in horsepower and torque and the curves on the same sheet.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:13 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Here is the image file of the dynamometer runs with the NM module and with the exhaust closed and open. I finally was able to convert it, scan it and save it as a JPEG so I could attach it.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have to admit even though I've had my NM power mod for 4 weeks or so, I still haven't installed it yet. As per my sig below I have a f56 '16 JCW. I also have the Mini pro exhaust. I can easily get race gas. In fact it's available at this old crappy 76 station within about 5 miles from my house. They have both 100 AND 106 octane. I used to use 106 exclusively when I had my 335. I plan on running just my standard 92 octane (Washington State, 92 is the best we have). I think after I get the freaking power mod in, I'll run it at "low" with the 92, than get some 106 and run it on "high" to see what it gets.

Question for all, which I'm sure is in a thread somewhere on here, but has anyone topped 300 HP? The only other "speed" upgrade I can think of is a FMIC. That, with all my other stuff running 106 octane and a power mod setting on "high"......is it possible? Or do you need to look at larger turbo's?

Old 04-13-2016, 10:06 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
So a little higher with it open, nothing dramatic. Which makes sense.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:13 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by normtrum
I have to admit even though I've had my NM power mod for 4 weeks or so, I still haven't installed it yet. As per my sig below I have a f56 '16 JCW. I also have the Mini pro exhaust. I can easily get race gas. In fact it's available at this old crappy 76 station within about 5 miles from my house. They have both 100 AND 106 octane. I used to use 106 exclusively when I had my 335. I plan on running just my standard 92 octane (Washington State, 92 is the best we have). I think after I get the freaking power mod in, I'll run it at "low" with the 92, than get some 106 and run it on "high" to see what it gets.

Question for all, which I'm sure is in a thread somewhere on here, but has anyone topped 300 HP? The only other "speed" upgrade I can think of is a FMIC. That, with all my other stuff running 106 octane and a power mod setting on "high"......is it possible? Or do you need to look at larger turbo's?
Until a good software tune comes out, not sure if 300 hp to the wheels is in the cards. With my 261 hp to the wheels, that's about 290-295 at the crank on low setting, so high should easily top that, but not put 300 to the ground, at least I don't think so. Just need time to dyno it, but thankfully been really busy at work with OT so no time to run down and dyno my mini. As far as an intercooler, I don't know of anyone making one for the JCW yet. Forge has one out for the F56 Cooper S, but they don't list if for the JCW. May be issues since we have the extra radiator on the L/H side. I haven't heard from Waymotorworks about fitment either.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:07 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jetmechinnc
Until a good software tune comes out, not sure if 300 hp to the wheels is in the cards. With my 261 hp to the wheels, that's about 290-295 at the crank on low setting, so high should easily top that, but not put 300 to the ground, at least I don't think so. Just need time to dyno it, but thankfully been really busy at work with OT so no time to run down and dyno my mini. As far as an intercooler, I don't know of anyone making one for the JCW yet. Forge has one out for the F56 Cooper S, but they don't list if for the JCW. May be issues since we have the extra radiator on the L/H side. I haven't heard from Waymotorworks about fitment either.
Ya I think you're spot on. I think the only way to top 300 at the wheels is switch out to some bigger turbos. But now you're looking at more "stress" on other parts of your car. I know around 2010 when I sold my 335i 400 HP was easy, if you had the money. Hell I was pulling 375 HP and 395 torque and that was just with a Procede. Every thing else was OEM, with the exception of Vishnue's twin cone shaped filters. Looked incredible, and sounded great, but maybe a 8-10 HP gain. The big thing on that forum (bimmerpost) when I stopped looking at it was in fact larger turbos. I have no doubt there's plenty of guys running around 500+ HP. It was an obsession with a bunch of those guys.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by normtrum
Ya I think you're spot on. I think the only way to top 300 at the wheels is switch out to some bigger turbos. But now you're looking at more "stress" on other parts of your car. I know around 2010 when I sold my 335i 400 HP was easy, if you had the money. Hell I was pulling 375 HP and 395 torque and that was just with a Procede. Every thing else was OEM, with the exception of Vishnue's twin cone shaped filters. Looked incredible, and sounded great, but maybe a 8-10 HP gain. The big thing on that forum (bimmerpost) when I stopped looking at it was in fact larger turbos. I have no doubt there's plenty of guys running around 500+ HP. It was an obsession with a bunch of those guys.
Then the issues with transmission and power train capabilities and other mechanical systems limits are factors. They key is the mating of all components of the automobile.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:40 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I am assuming that the results are adjusted for the drive train loss and are representative of power at the crank instead of at the wheels - correct?

Here is the image file of the dynamometer runs with the NM module and with the exhaust closed and open. I finally was able to convert it, scan it and save it as a JPEG so I could attach it.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mct
I am assuming that the results are adjusted for the drive train loss and are representative of power at the crank instead of at the wheels - correct?
His dyno results should be at the wheels. I had similar power numbers and those were reading at the wheels, only difference is I have the AWE tuning exhaust vs the JCW pro exhaust and was at 261 hp and 281 ftlb to the wheels. Roughly 290-295 hp at the crank. My dyno was in 4th gear, his was in 3rd gear.

Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM
mct
5th Gear
His dyno results should be at the wheels. I had similar power numbers and those were reading at the wheels, only difference is I have the AWE tuning exhaust vs the JCW pro exhaust and was at 261 hp and 281 ftlb to the wheels. Roughly 290-295 hp at the crank. My dyno was in 4th gear, his was in 3rd gear.
Cool - did you post your dyno results? If so - please post a link. Would like to see

Very cool

Old 04-14-2016, 02:10 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, it was wheel horsepower. There are 2 videos of it on the dyno in Jetmachnics yea dyno today thread. One with the exhaust open and one with it closed.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:17 PM
mct
5th Gear
Very cool - I just looked at Jetmechinnc's results. Glad to see some factory JCWs with the NM Power Module on the dyno for some comparison!

Based on our dyno day in November, the NM Power Module with JCW Tuning Kit on standard Cooper S put out 240.10 hp and 273.88 of torque on a dynojet with Correction Factor set to STD (STD will show about 5-10hp higher than SAE CF, but since Jetmechinnc's results were with STD, we will use that for comparison).

All in all the factory JCW has a difference of 21.36 hp and 7.52 torque and what appears is a VERY smooth power curve. Good stuff!!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:18 AM
jobexo
2nd Gear
Yes, it was wheel horsepower. There are 2 videos of it on the dyno in Jetmachnics yea dyno today thread. One with the exhaust open and one with it closed.
Doesn't he have the AWE exhaust? I don't think those have the open/close flaps like the JCW Pro right?

Nevermind. I misread post. Good numbers! I might have to go for this in my manual JCW soon.

Last edited by jobexo; 04-15-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jobexo
Doesn't he have the AWE exhaust? I don't think those have the open/close flaps like the JCW Pro right?

Nevermind. I misread post. Good numbers! I might have to go for this in my manual JCW soon.
Yes, he does, but I posted my results on his thread. My JCW is the rebel green one in the dyno videos and my printout of the dyno results with both runs on one printout as well. I wanted to know the difference with the exhaust open and closed to be able to empirically determine the actual output of the NM module and the JCW PRO exhaust.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
caiken
2nd Gear
Is anyone running 93 octane with the high setting? I saw a few folks, I think.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:23 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
I think there was someone who posted that they were, but I don't know if it was on this forum or the F56 mini forum. It may have been 02 Fanatic or possibly Hot Hatch Charlie. When we return from MOTD I am going to try it with 100 octane on high and I may even spring for another dyno. Try a search with the key words on this and the F56 forum you might get some hits.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:54 PM
AtariRada
1st Gear
Originally Posted by caiken
Is anyone running 93 octane with the high setting? I saw a few folks, I think.
Running 91 but I'm also at 5000+ feet elevation. No issues.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:07 PM
mct
5th Gear
From thread: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-typhoon.html

Originally Posted by mct
We have definitely seen worse performance out of cars that run on the high setting when using 93 octane when compared to the low setting. One user even had an over boost fault take place when it was set on high. Say what you want, but if you are not using 100+ octane, you are NOT getting more performance and possibly doing more harm than good. Use data acquisition tools like DashCommand to record your timing and boost and you will see what is actually happening...

Old 04-19-2016, 03:28 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
On the thread MCT commented on, someone mentioned an inconsistency in power day to day with the NM Eng. Module. My "ButtDyno" also would concur with that statement. The overall power delivery is better than stock (I also have the K&N Typhon), but some days it seems better than others. It is not ambient temperature related... Not sure why. /shrug

Having said that, not sure I'll go back to the "low" setting. I'll wait and see.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:33 AM
caiken
2nd Gear
I just found out that I can get 100 octane race gas near me.

race gas lookup site

Old 04-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Flynscot0256
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just ordered one from ECS for my newest addition. I just picked up a nice 2015 JCW with 1100 miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW NM Module in a JCW