JCW NM Module in a JCW

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:40 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
I have my rating for one A/C, experimental. I quit flying as PIC almost 2 years ago, we built a Zenith 701 STOL and had it signed off in November of 2004. We have a very short, tricky strip of 700' and following a hard landing (no damage to A/C other than a blown tire) I put it in the hangar and it is still there. Sort of a waste I suppose, but with the liability that's where it will stay most likely. Still pushing the limits on the mini though. What a great little beast! Not a fan of helicopters, my first flight was coming out of a mangrove swamp on a rope about 50' underneath it in 1970! Oops, I forgot to include the prelude to the helicopter bit. I have some flying buddies that asked why I didn't build a gyro instead of a STOL AC. I lost a good friend some years ago in a gyro crash and quite frankly I am afraid of them!

Last edited by KYDan; 02-23-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Paul Harvey moment
Old 02-23-2016, 06:00 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Empty dragon, very rare. Its busy down there once the weather breaks.
There was a few locals on it and a couple of Subarus, Mazdas, Hondas, and the little Lexus when we were doing the runs, but it was pretty much wide open and a beautiful, cool, late winter day with no leaves out yet, so a lot better visibility than spring, summer, and early fall. Darn near perfect for spirited driving. I don't think I have ever had more fun on it than that day!

Old 02-23-2016, 06:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
lol, yea its tons of fun, watch out for those bikes crossing the center line.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
Yes, they do hug the center. I almost got one last night, turning right onto a 4 lane highway and the right lane was clear. A ninja biker pulled around an SUV and rocketed passed me, I didn't see him until he passed us flipped me off almost rear ended another car and cut in front of another one and accelerated. I remember the days when I did stupid stuff like that!

Old 02-23-2016, 08:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, that sounds like a close one. I had a biker wreak in front of me on the dragon, he clipped another bike going left of center, I got out of the car and helped him get his bike back up and off the road asap. Told some MINI guys behind me to stop traffic asap.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-23-2016, 04:26 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KYDan
I have my rating for one A/C, experimental. I quit flying as PIC almost 2 years ago, we built a Zenith 701 STOL and had it signed off in November of 2004. We have a very short, tricky strip of 700' and following a hard landing (no damage to A/C other than a blown tire) I put it in the hangar and it is still there. Sort of a waste I suppose, but with the liability that's where it will stay most likely. Still pushing the limits on the mini though. What a great little beast! Not a fan of helicopters, my first flight was coming out of a mangrove swamp on a rope about 50' underneath it in 1970! Oops, I forgot to include the prelude to the helicopter bit. I have some flying buddies that asked why I didn't build a gyro instead of a STOL AC. I lost a good friend some years ago in a gyro crash and quite frankly I am afraid of them!
I had a few fellow Marines die in helicopter crashes, none combat related, all during training, but I still love rotors. Only spent a little time as door gunner, but I like rotors much better than fixed wing. At least this job pays the bills to support my car habit!

Old 02-24-2016, 01:53 PM
NHcountryman
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jetmechinnc
Not sure if it is, but I do have the auto so at least it should work for my application. Maybe a manual doesn't need anything.

Plus, received the power module in last night and I'm quite happy! Install was fairly easy, only issue was getting the connector free of the car to connect the module. Once that was done, a few black zip ties later and installation was done. Kept it at factory low setting for now. Quality seems really good. Packaging was nice, and surprised by the weight of the module. Felt good, like a quality product. My wife's 2011 R56 has burgertune's module and that is light with a plastic case. From the quote in Jurassic Park, "is it heavy, yes, then it's expensive", lol. Results were quite noticeable. Barely hit the throttle and power is there. Getting on the on ramp on the highway this morning produces mild wheel and a little torque steer, but nothing as bad as my former tuned 2010 R56. Really nice push back in the seat acceleration. Feels now like what the JCW should have been all along to really differentiate itself from the Cooper S and justify the price difference. Now those Big Brembos will get some work! Will be nice to take it back to VIR and see how much fast I can go on the back and front straight. So far I've only managed 127 MPH before hitting the brakes on the back straight.

Looking at the AWE exhaust, did you purchase the Touring or Track? Your sig says Track , but description of no drone sounds like the touring... considering the touring for the long trips in my JCW ........

Old 02-24-2016, 02:08 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
I am not familiar with the AWE exhaust and assume it is different than the mini JCW PRO exhaust. The PRO exhaust sounds the same as the stock exhaust to me, but I am somewhat hearing impaired, but my wife isn't and it sounded the same to her. However, the track mode is significantly different and sounds deeper and louder and increases the horsepower a modest amount and does not alter the warranty. What are the advantages of the AWE exhaust?

Old 02-24-2016, 04:53 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NHcountryman
Looking at the AWE exhaust, did you purchase the Touring or Track? Your sig says Track , but description of no drone sounds like the touring... considering the touring for the long trips in my JCW ........
I did get the track edition exhaust. It's very quiet at cruise either at low city speeds as well as the highway speeds of 60-68 mph. At least that's all I've done so far. I'm looking forward to Mini Takes the States and using it on those long runs. But again, once you give it gas, it gets really loud, but I like that myself.

That said, AWE tuning did say that you'd get some drone if you had a manual transmission. Apparently this exhaust works best with the AUTO. If you have a manual, I'd choose the touring.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
I am not familiar with the AWE exhaust and assume it is different than the mini JCW PRO exhaust. The PRO exhaust sounds the same as the stock exhaust to me, but I am somewhat hearing impaired, but my wife isn't and it sounded the same to her. However, the track mode is significantly different and sounds deeper and louder and increases the horsepower a modest amount and does not alter the warranty. What are the advantages of the AWE exhaust?
It's basically a straight 2.5" pipe with a large resonator. It's lighter for sure compared to both JCW stock exhaust and the JCW pro. Until someone dynos the JCW pro exhaust, not sure what the gains are. AWE tuning track exhaust gives a max HP/TQ of 5 total gain. Or 10 hp, 19tq gains at various parts of the RPM range. I'm gonna compare mine to the Cooper S with the tuning kit installed at the dealership and see how much louder mine is. According to the sale people there, the AWE tuning track is much louder than the JCW pro.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Thanks, I do plan to dyno the JCW pro and I have made some inquiries. At present I plan one with exhaust closed and one with it open, 3 pulls each time.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:23 PM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Thanks, I do plan to dyno the JCW pro and I have made some inquiries. At present I plan one with exhaust closed and one with it open, 3 pulls each time.
Great I'll be curious to see your results. I'll be doing pulls hopefully next week and switch between the low seen and hi setting on the power module!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
The only provider that has responded to my inquiry advised me that there is a 3 week waiting list. Most likely it will be a while before I can satisfy my curiosity!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:32 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
JCW pro is here if you decide to do it. F56 S / JCW

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-prices-3.html

Old 02-25-2016, 07:56 AM
jobexo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
JCW pro is here if you decide to do it. F56 S / JCW

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-prices-3.html

ECS: How much for just the pro exhaust (no tuning kit). Thx

Old 02-25-2016, 08:53 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
You cant get it separate yet. Its a whole kit. maybe down the road, but it blocked last time we tried to order it. Seems like MINI only wants you to get the kit. Lots of things special order only require proof of damage and a VIN/ dealership pics. The 10 year anniversary badges are like this.

If they do I will post up.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:01 PM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thread completely derailed.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:37 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
yep

Old 02-26-2016, 02:20 AM
jetmechinnc
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NYXF56JCW
Thread completely derailed.
Getting back on topic, have you tried the high setting yet on your JCW?

Old 02-26-2016, 03:13 AM
KYDan
5th Gear
No, I haven't and I don't have readily available access to high octane fuel which is probably a good thing. I did leave a message with another tune shop that is very close to where I live that I did not know about. Hopefully they will get back with me today and I can set up dyno time! I may run with some high octane fuel at some point and I will schedule another trip on the meter then. My heat pump system is on the fritz now and that will occupy most of today I imagine and also have a fellow coming out to see about replacing some skylights in the toy shed as I am having some leak issues and I must keep the toys dry! Toys can be very demanding and time consuming, but then you know about that.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:54 AM
NYXF56JCW
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getting back on topic, have you tried the high setting yet on your JCW?

Still haven't received it. Apparently NM had some sort of issue with a shipping container. Should be here with the rest of my parts by mid March....hopefully. We haven't had any snow here for a couple weeks now and I'm getting itchy. lol

Old 02-26-2016, 04:21 PM
normtrum
3rd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tested on Supersprint dyno (just front rollers).

Here's how we did it.
Initially we had trouble (engine was cutting power).
The issue was that the car was tested once without activating the dyno mode.
We drove it a bit on the road to make the errors disappear then we did it like this:
1) Press the ignition lever once to turn the dash on
2) immediately keep the odometer reset button pressed for 15 seconds. The hidden menu will appear
3) press the button twice to go into "roller test"
4) keep the button pressed 3 seconds to activate it. You'll see a orange triangle then the start stop and DSC icons slashed
5) turn on the car and leave it on
6) put it on the dyno and set it up to be tested (OBDII plug etc)
7) activate the sport mode with the gearleve ring
8) launch

OK found it from a previous discussion board. Will have to write this one down. I assume you need to put it in forth gear or is it fifth gear for the pull?
Ok this is fascinating. Another member asked if this is available for manuals. I would be very interested to know that as well. Couldn't I just try and go through all the steps while sitting in my garage? Then just hit cancel or something? Obviously I also have a JCW manual tranny. Mine is a '16, and I have the Mini Bluetooth exhaust. Unrelated to current power mods I also have the NM rear sway, and their engine tie bar. The handling diff is pretty substantial over stock IMO. I also have the NM Power Mod, AND a set of their 18" RSe12's in satin black in route. I'm very interested to see what type of difference I get with the RSe12's over my stock 17" 5 double spoke wheels. The "12's" are only 18.8 lbs, so I'm supposed to improve on my "unsprung" weight, but I don't know what the overall effect would be cause I'm stepping up to 18" tires. Might be a wash. Sorry getting off topic. I was just very interested in those dyno steps, cause I plan on doing some runs that include sport mode only, NM power mod only (sport mode off, NM high setting), and one all out run with sport mode on, Bluetooth exhaust on, NM power mod on with 1 run on low, the last run on high. All with 92 octane.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:44 PM
AtariRada
1st Gear
I have a 2016 JCW manual. I installed the NM Power Module and set it right to High (I live above 5000 ft so not worried about lower octane). I notice a real awakening in the mid range and more shifting wheel spin from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I'm not sure I'm getting the full 5lb boost at top end though. I'll look at getting a boost gauge at some point. But just daily driving it is well worth it. Also noticed I gained about 2mpg when not stomping on the pedal.

Last edited by AtariRada; 03-26-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:46 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Do you have a performance exhaust on your mini?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:22 PM
AtariRada
1st Gear
Do you have a performance exhaust on your mini?
Nope, 100% stock.

Quick Reply: JCW NM Module in a JCW