JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Mini Service Schedule & Dealer Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 09:51 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Mini Service Schedule & Dealer Question

I bought my '13 JCW R56 new in Sept '13. It came with the standard 3
year/ 36000 mile free servicing from Mini.

After the first 12 months of ownership, I was lulled into the belief that my car would receive a free service every 12 months, regardless of whether the service reminder idiot light would come on. I had about 3500 miles on it for that first, free service. Awesome.

So I speak to the local dealer yesterday about scheduling for service, and the rep tells me that 'with your VIN number, we only cover the service when the reminder light comes on.' WTF mate? Is this the same dealership that told me last year it's every 12 months OR as dictated by the service light?

Am I missing something? Is there something written somewhere about this? Am I a complete idiot, or is it the rep I spoke with? Mind you, this is the same girl that told me 6 months ago that all oil changes are done from the top of the engine, no one gets under the cars.

Gosh, I love my Minis, but after the BS I go through at this local dealer, I will either never own another Mini, or at least never from them again.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 AM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What dealership? Woodlands? Very interested in this. My car went into service in July 2014. I purchased it new in September. It has a little less than 2,500 miles on it today. I will be taking it for the first oil change soon. I don't plan on paying for it.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:38 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 14R55S
What dealership? Woodlands? Very interested in this. My car went into service in July 2014. I purchased it new in September. It has a little less than 2,500 miles on it today. I will be taking it for the first oil change soon. I don't plan on paying for it.
You are correct, Mini of the Woodlands. I did email Mini USA 2 days ago to reiterate or debunk; no reply yet.

Be prepared to start doing your own oil changes. I took my wife's Countryman in in January for the service. Apparently parking it in their lot for the day was all they do for a service. The oil after the 'service' was black as black. The dip stick was covered in grime...according to the girl at the desk they don't wipe the dipstick, nor do they undo the sump plug. Must be the new age of car maintenance. I made them take it back and redo it; however I was overseas for a month and couldn't check after the service. But when I got home I did my own oil change as the oil still looked like crap. My confidence in MOTW is almost zero.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
14R55S
3rd Gear
I won't be going there. Momentum is closest to my house. Keep me posted on what MINI has to say on this in case I run into the same BS.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Would you post on here what they say about the 12 month service interval, as opposed to the service reminder light? I bought my JCW from Momentum (as I used to live closer to there than where I am now). And I'll do the same if I hear anything further.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:48 AM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Will do.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:45 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
I pulled out my warranty book to read the fine print on the MINI Maintenance Program for 3/36 and it states, Coverage, "all factory recommended maintenance, as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system. Exclusions include, "Oil changes performed outside the recommended maintenance intervals as indicated by the CBS.

Looks like we are screwed.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM
igzekyativ
5th Gear
My dealership gave me an oil change once a year or upon CBS light, whichever came first, for both mine and my wife's MINI fJCW. Also got new windshield wipers once a year.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM
SC R60
3rd Gear
My experience with oil changes is whatever CBS says or yearly, whichever comes first.

I got my first dealer oil change at the year mark(had ~10k). They flushed my brake fluid too I think. Never had another brand ever flush my brake fluid under free maintenance or otherwise

Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
I pulled out my warranty book to read the fine print on the MINI Maintenance Program for 3/36 and it states, Coverage, "all factory recommended maintenance, as determined by the Condition Based Service (CBS) system. Exclusions include, "Oil changes performed outside the recommended maintenance intervals as indicated by the CBS.

Looks like we are screwed.
Thanks, I was planning to RTFM but have been too busy today baby sitting a useless electrician at my house. He spent more effort trying not to do what was asked of him than actual work. Anyway, seems like the dealer will do it annually at their discretion (if they like you). Seems I'm screwed, as I made them redo my wife's last oil change after they skipped it. Why don't people just want to do their job anymore?

Old 07-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Fiveostang
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Your just dealing with a bad dealer if they didn't even do it. Don't forget MINI pays the dealer for warranty maintenance the dealer isn't giving it for free your just not paying it but with that said we change the oil based on the key read data when we scan your key in the service drive it tells us what services your due for and if it's due in 2,000 miles or less than we can do it anyways. I personally am **** about servicing my car so regardless what my car says I change the oil at 5k but that boot to bonnet coverage is much more than oil changes its brake fluid services pads rotors clutch wipers micro filters cabin air filters so if your like me and change your oil every 5k then look at it this way you get every other oil change free AND all the other services. Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fiveostang
Your just dealing with a bad dealer if they didn't even do it. Don't forget MINI pays the dealer for warranty maintenance the dealer isn't giving it for free your just not paying it but with that said we change the oil based on the key read data when we scan your key in the service drive it tells us what services your due for and if it's due in 2,000 miles or less than we can do it anyways. I personally am **** about servicing my car so regardless what my car says I change the oil at 5k but that boot to bonnet coverage is much more than oil changes its brake fluid services pads rotors clutch wipers micro filters cabin air filters so if your like me and change your oil every 5k then look at it this way you get every other oil change free AND all the other services. Hope this helps.
I'm quite sure they didn't do the oil change. I've been doing my own oil changes since I was a kid - I was doing my mom's oil changes before I had my first car. My grandad taught me well. So I have a fair idea when a dipstick has been cleaned or not, what color the oil should be, dirt cleaned off pertinent places such as filler cap, etc. Everything appeared undisturbed and the service receptionist was trying to convince me that fresh oil magically appeared in the sump. I was heading to work in Africa; the oil was changed on a Friday or Saturday and I checked their work on Sunday. Monday morning at 6am I had to leave for the plane; as I boarded I called the service dept and told them. A few emails of banter back and forth finally they agreed to redo it.

I am pretty **** about my oil in these cars too. I aim for 3,000 - 3,500 miles between changes. But I'll let it go as high 5,000. And I had the same philosophy, pick up the freebie once a year and on the computer's say so. My old SA was a gem; he said yes every 12 months he'd change the oil for me regardless of milage. He's not there anymore and sadly missed by me. In my JCW I've hit 5,400 miles in nearly 2 years and the oil has been changed once by the dealer at 3,100 miles (12 months old). I was hoping they'd do it again in September.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Here's the response I got from Mini USA today:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for writing to MINI about oil service. Here’s some useful information:

-The service interval indicator on your instrument cluster will alert you when it is time to service your vehicle.
-Your MINI uses high-performance synthetic oil which allows you to drive approximately 10,000 miles between oil services. (Driving conditions may influence routine maintenance requirements.)
-If the service interval indicator does not appear after 12 months, we recommend chatting with a service advisor at your authorized MINI dealer to determine if an annual oil service is needed.

We suggest speak with the Service Manager at your MINI dealer as they are in the best position to provide you with dedicated support to further address your concerns. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance

Translation: you're screwed.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 PM
14R55S
3rd Gear
I know Momentum and Clear Lake are a long way from you, but might be worth a call to see if they will work with you.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
I know Momentum and Clear Lake are a long way from you, but might be worth a call to see if they will work with you.
Thanks mate!

I was thinking Momentum, since I bought the JCW there. Great idea...but...here's what I'm thinking. At least an hour drive each way, plus at least one, maybe 2 hours wait. So allow 4 hours out of my day. Or, do it myself - oil is $25 from Wally World, $10 filter from the dealer...$35 total....I can do it in my driveway lolly gagging, sipping a beer, taking dips in my pool over a 1 or 2 hour period...and still have 2 or 3 hours at home to put my feet up.

There's only so much time I will waste to save a buck. Of course now I'm looking at getting laid off in September....

Old 07-31-2015, 06:42 AM
14R55S
3rd Gear
Yea, been hearing about layoffs in the local news this week. Are you still trying to sell your car?

Old 07-31-2015, 06:56 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Are you still trying to sell your car?
I'm afraid so.

I haven't been given notice at work yet, but I expect to be told when I go back at the end of August. I can only imagine what will happen to the oil fields if Iran's oil enters the mix.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You want

the dealer to put the oil in so it's documented and in the key fob data bank. That way if there's a warranty issue they can't squirrel out of it saying you neglected oil service. Turbos are very oil dependent.

Just pay the dealer's 80 bucks. It's worth it if they're good dealers. Synthetic oil and filter will cost you 25 bucks plus your time and disposal. Is it really worth doing yourself? hahaha not for me.

I have the best Mini dealer in the world in Plano at Sewell. Because they change both Minis oil they never give me any warranty push back.

Originally Posted by MINI_42
Thanks mate!

I was thinking Momentum, since I bought the JCW there. Great idea...but...here's what I'm thinking. At least an hour drive each way, plus at least one, maybe 2 hours wait. So allow 4 hours out of my day. Or, do it myself - oil is $25 from Wally World, $10 filter from the dealer...$35 total....I can do it in my driveway lolly gagging, sipping a beer, taking dips in my pool over a 1 or 2 hour period...and still have 2 or 3 hours at home to put my feet up.

There's only so much time I will waste to save a buck. Of course now I'm looking at getting laid off in September....

Old 07-31-2015, 05:31 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by malibujoey
the dealer to put the oil in so it's documented and in the key fob data bank. That way if there's a warranty issue they can't squirrel out of it saying you neglected oil service. Turbos are very oil dependent.

Just pay the dealer's 80 bucks. It's worth it if they're good dealers. Synthetic oil and filter will cost you 25 bucks plus your time and disposal. Is it really worth doing yourself?
I see what you are saying and it's a valid point re the warranty and notation in the fob. However, if the dealer won't put oil in at the 12 month mark, then I've done my part with respect to the warranty - so long as I get them to service it based on the idiot light.

My dealer charges $69 for an 'S' model mini, and $139 for a JCW. Or maybe it's just my JCW?

I do not trust Mini of the Woodlands at all to do required service, it's unfortunate to say. The last time they 'did' an oil change on my wife's Countryman was in January; after they had already 'done' it. I made them do it again because they simply did not do it. 3,000 miles later, I changed the oil myself and the oil was black as the ace of spades. I will take her car in when the computer tells me to, and that way the paper trail is complete.

I've been doing my own oil changes for around 35 years and never had an oil related engine problem (touch wood). I think if I left it to chance (my local stealership), then I'm more likely to have a problem than if I do it myself.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:39 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Just pay the dealer's 80 bucks. It's worth it if they're good dealers. Synthetic oil and filter will cost you 25 bucks plus your time and disposal. Is it really worth doing yourself? hahaha not for me.

I have the best Mini dealer in the world in Plano at Sewell. Because they change both Minis oil they never give me any warranty push back.
I agree with you. With the bad reputation Mini has about reliability, having the dealer doing the service is peace of mind.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:49 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dube53
I agree with you. With the bad reputation Mini has about reliability, having the dealer doing the service is peace of mind.
Hi Richard,

Not trying to start a debate (or worse), but I only wish I could have peace of mind from the local place. I will of course let them do the work when the service light comes on, but I have to double check they did indeed do the work. Peace of mind comes from either blind trust in the dealer, or you actually verifying the work has been done after the fact. But how would you tell if the filter was replaced?

I wish people would just do their damn jobs when they are paid to do just that. Yesterday I had to throw an electrician out of my house because he argued with me about, among other things, the correct way to install a particular light fitting (I'm a licensed electrician). His company sent a replacement electrician today and he put 1 screw in to finish the job. 1 screw. I'm a very easy guy to get along with. I don't get it.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:47 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Well find a better dealer! hahaha such drama. Hey listen up here in Dallas there's 3 Mini dealers. One sucks. Arlington. One is sloppy. Dallas. One is superior. Plano. Drive to Plano Texas. If you do see my man Clint Fox.

And also: do not rely on a time period to change the oil nor the maintenance lights. Just change it every 5k. YOU SHOULD NEVER LET THE OIL GO BLACK. Never. Inexcusable. Don't rely on those worthless service lights and don't make an arbitrary 12 months change. Just change every 5k and check it every week. And I'm an old school yard DIY mechanic but nowadays I even let the dealer do it because of warranty, mess, time, cost - they've got you beat unless they're worthless which case back to my first point. GL!

Old 08-01-2015, 04:36 PM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Well find a better dealer! hahaha such drama. Hey listen up here in Dallas there's 3 Mini dealers. One sucks. Arlington. One is sloppy. Dallas. One is superior. Plano. Drive to Plano Texas. If you do see my man Clint Fox.

And also: do not rely on a time period to change the oil nor the maintenance lights. Just change it every 5k. YOU SHOULD NEVER LET THE OIL GO BLACK. Never. Inexcusable. Don't rely on those worthless service lights and don't make an arbitrary 12 months change. Just change every 5k and check it every week. And I'm an old school yard DIY mechanic but nowadays I even let the dealer do it because of warranty, mess, time, cost - they've got you beat unless they're worthless which case back to my first point. GL!
Dude, this forum is for people seeking help. If you can't contribute helpfully, don't bother. Don't be a ******, Captain Obvious.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:36 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Hi Richard,

Not trying to start a debate (or worse), but I only wish I could have peace of mind from the local place. I will of course let them do the work when the service light comes on, but I have to double check they did indeed do the work. Peace of mind comes from either blind trust in the dealer, or you actually verifying the work has been done after the fact. But how would you tell if the filter was replaced?

I wish people would just do their damn jobs when they are paid to do just that. Yesterday I had to throw an electrician out of my house because he argued with me about, among other things, the correct way to install a particular light fitting (I'm a licensed electrician). His company sent a replacement electrician today and he put 1 screw in to finish the job. 1 screw. I'm a very easy guy to get along with. I don't get it.
It is sad you don't have good service from your dealer. Does your car still on the maintenance program? If so I would not worry. Keep your work orders of what has been done every time you went to the dealer and ask a full inspection at 3YR/36K.

You should not have to change oil every 3K-5K when it is recommended at 10K or every year. This is synthetic oil.

As for my dealer (there is just one here) I will know soon because I will make my first appointment for service at 6K to fix a few things in same time.

I have to admit It was not really a pleasure to deal with them when I took delivery of the car last July but I will see if they improved or got worst.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:47 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
******? no wonder you're selling your JCW.

If you can't afford the car why are you bugging us owners who love them and keep them? (lighten up. buy a Focus)

Dude, this forum is for people seeking help. If you can't contribute helpfully, don't bother. Don't be a ******, Captain Obvious.

Quick Reply: JCW Mini Service Schedule & Dealer Question