JCW Blind Ring Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 07:09 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
I tried to get mine out and about broke my finger nails. Would not budge. Also, my pins look flat and do not have the two tier look as the one you picture. There appears to be a center piece that sits flush on mine. Maybe they are inserted as a two tier plug as pictured, and then the center portion is pushed in to lock the plug in place.

To get mine out I'd have to use a putty knife or flat blade to force it out, but am afraid I will break something since the center part is forcing the flanges of the plug to stay in place.

Nothing is ever easy.
Completely agree!! Mine was a PITA to remove!! I swore I was going to break the dang thing with as hard as it was to remove. All done though and nothing broke, but don't want to do that again!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:03 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Pulled mine off today. Attached are pictures of the pins (there are two on mine) and the tool I used to remove them.
When you re-install the pins you have to pull out on the pointy end to collapse the collet on the top part. It doesn’t come apart, but just pulls out until the pin will fit back in the hole. It won’t fit if you don’t. Once you get the pins out it’s just a matter of finessing the ring off. There are several spots that snap into place so you just have to fiddle with it a little. I took the pins out without even looking at them. Couldn’t bend over far enough because of my arm so I just located the pins by feel, started them with my thumbnail and slipped the tool under it and they popped right out. Now I have to find the one I dropped in the floorboard while trying to re-install it before I figured out the pull the pointy end out trick.
The tool I used is the one on the left. I think the set was about $11-12 at AutoZone.

Attached Thumbnails Blind Ring Change-img_1337.jpg   Blind Ring Change-img_1339.jpg  
Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Okay, so I've been looking at the plugs holding the ring in place and think I may have figured out the removal and re-install procedure. (I will verify with MINI to make sure when mine arrives). So here goes:

Looking at the two photos and plug's design and operation, it looks like the flange/collar that holds the plug in place is collapsed by pushing the center pin upward or downward. One way for assembly, the other for disassembly.

When removing the plug, to access the center stack, the mechanic would put pressure on the center of the plug forcing the bulge that expands the flange past the edge of the flange causing it to collapse and allowing the plug to be removed without forcing it.

Looking at the center pin, it appears to be designed to release the flange by either inward or outward travel.

During re-assembly, the mechanic, resets the plug
(creating a two tiered look) the pin can be re-inserted and the by pushing the center portion in after plug is replaced, will expand the flange holding the plug in place?
Just thinking on the design of the pin. It would make sense to be able to release the flange either by pushing the center pin beyond flush to release it and flush to lock it back into place during re-assembly.

Just a guess, but seems to make sense to me.

More later

Just tried it myself with a wooden dowel and pushing the center in, the pin virtually falls out for removal, for re-install, reset the pin so the inner pin is above the plug edge, insert plug nd push the pin flush.

Attached Thumbnails Blind Ring Change-20150717_132318.jpg   Blind Ring Change-img_1337.1.jpg  

Last edited by USA-RET; 02-16-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM
vetsvette
You are correct Dennis. I tried your method using a ballpoint pen to push the center pin in and was then able to remove the pin with my thumbnail. Push the center out until it protrudes from the top of the pin and re-insert it in the mounting hole. After it's inserted just push the center in and you'll hear and feel a pop as it goes into place. My way worked, but took un-needed force to do so. That's what I get for overthinking something that in actuality is very simple. You still have a little bit of a fight on your hands to get the ring itself to pop loose from the dash...... unless someone else come up with a revelation on that.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:24 PM
mct
5th Gear
Interesting note... I have a Clubman loaner this week and the blind ring does NOT have the 2 pins underneath... very interesting.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Anything like the trim kit ? I know you pry and its new and you think its going to crack, those tabs must be super tight.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Schwaben_Trim_Tools/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-19-2016, 03:14 PM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Mine arrived today and installed in about 3 minutes. Hardest part was getting the old ring to snap off the dash. Working from the bottom and pressuring upward helps release the top clips. Still kind of a "snap" when the ring releases, but no harm, no foul.

New JCW ring installed without a problem, snapped into place and the two holding pins were replaced.

Looks great in the car IMO. With the JCW mats, rear view mirror cover, and other appointments, the ring just finishes the interior off perfectly.

That center stack seems to be the focal point when sitting in the car, so that ring is very noticeable (in a good way for me at least and wife likes it too) if you like the JCW look.

Attached Thumbnails Blind Ring Change-jcw-bind-rin.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 05:19 PM
vetsvette
Mine arrived today and installed in about 3 minutes. Hardest part was getting the old ring to snap off the dash. Working from the bottom and pressuring upward helps release the top clips. Still kind of a "snap" when the ring releases, but no harm, no foul.

New JCW ring installed without a problem, snapped into place and the two holding pins were replaced.

Looks great in the car IMO. With the JCW mats, rear view mirror cover, and other appointments, the ring just finishes the interior off perfectly.

That center stack seems to be the focal point when sitting in the car, so that ring is very noticeable (in a good way for me at least and wife likes it too) if you like the JCW look.
Looks great. Mine is still on order.

Old 02-19-2016, 08:11 PM
mct
5th Gear
Old 02-20-2016, 03:20 AM
Angib
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't stop my eyes watering as I read 'Blind Ring Change' - but I see it is not a form of self-surgery as I feared....

Old 02-22-2016, 07:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts

Looks great and matches well with the wheel and mats.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-09-2016, 07:59 PM
qualt
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting thread.

I recently ordered a JCW convertible (it is on the ship in route now) and noticed that what Mini calls a "PIANO BLACK CENTER INSTRUMENT TRIM" was available as a no cost option. I almost ordered it but didn't, now I think I should have.

Oh well at least I now know how to remove it and paint it black if I decide I don't like it.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM
1st JCW
2nd Gear
Maybe in different countries (such as Great Britain) options are different, not sure. But here in the states, the calibrated ring is standard on the 'full' JCW but optional if you want it on the 'S' with the JCW look like trim package. It's on my 2016 JCW.
Originally Posted by Idiot_Savant
So I've got an update on my blind ring situation. I sent an enquiry to MINI UK and this is what they have told me:

"The rev counter markings and John Cooper works (JCW) branding on the blind ring, around the central instrument binnacle isn't standard - this is an added option on this model."

I've pointed out that it is an option that doesn't appear anywhere on any options lists I've seen, but they don't seem to care!

Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Sidewalker
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qualt
Interesting thread. I recently ordered a JCW convertible (it is on the ship in route now) and noticed that what Mini calls a "PIANO BLACK CENTER INSTRUMENT TRIM" was available as a no cost option. I almost ordered it but didn't, now I think I should have. Oh well at least I now know how to remove it and paint it black if I decide I don't like it.
I ordered this option for my hardtop...my MA and I decided that it ultimately wouldn't hurt to have more piano black (since I went with that trim throughout). Still don't know for sure how it will be when it shows up.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:21 PM
MiniAlex2016
1st Gear
Would anyone want to sell their old JCW blind ring if you've replaced it with a piano black one? Really like the JCW ring but the $100+ price is steep. If anyone has a used one you'd like to get rid of let me know

Old 05-31-2017, 09:06 AM
khine13
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
JCW Center Instrument Basic Display Option

I noticed that I now have an option for "John Cooper Works" under Basic Display for the Center Instrument (LED Ring)

When selected, the ring has a Red LED at 12 o'clock. And will randomly stretch around to either side. lighting up from 12 o'clock to about 5, and sometimes less.

Anyone with a real JCW have this option? Or anyone know what this setting reads and what makes it change?

This option appeared after coding the JCW HUD Tach.

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts
Hard to say based on your description. I have a 2017 JCW without the MINI Excitement option. The LED around the center stack follows the tach readings, but that is it.

Regarding the HUD, the tach is shown in sports setting; however, it goes away when nav is activated. Still working my way through the settings .... it's a pretty complex car.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:49 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
I ordered this option for my hardtop...my MA and I decided that it ultimately wouldn't hurt to have more piano black (since I went with that trim throughout). Still don't know for sure how it will be when it shows up.
I considered this option, but determined that the JCW ring is specific to that car. However, the other dash trim is pretty busy in conjunction with it so my option was the JCW ring with piano black trim. It's a very sharp combination that combines the JCW motif with understated black trim.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:54 PM
khine13
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rtowell
Hard to say based on your description. I have a 2017 JCW without the MINI Excitement option. The LED around the center stack follows the tach readings, but that is it.

Regarding the HUD, the tach is shown in sports setting; however, it goes away when nav is activated. Still working my way through the settings .... it's a pretty complex car.

Can you tell me the options you have when you open the Basic Display menu?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:45 PM
rtowell
4th Gear
Not a lot of options, which is fine by me. I can scroll down to one more color, but that's it.