JCW Blind Ring Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Idiot_Savant
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So once MINI UK customer services realised that I didn't believe them that there was mysterious option, that they couldn't name, that doesn't appear on any options list a customer can see, that needs to be selected to get the blind ring with the JCW logo on they just kind of gave up. They've passed me back to my dealer, so I'll see where I get with them.

I really get the feeling that customer services aren't used to dealing with people who actually know what they are talking about and just expect people to be pacified by any old nonsense the churn out!

One more thing that adds to the mystery is that when I picked my car up there were two of the pins that hold the blind ring on (part number 4 in the diagram), in my cup holder.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 PM
milkrun49
1st Gear
Blind Ring

I set mine do do the disco effects. Light colors change about every 3 seconds. The wife loves it. Never crass to amaze me.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Yep. Who would have thought that "Fuzzy Dice" could be superseded....I'm ordering a fur cover dash and getting a custom licence plate - "Disco Boy"....and maybe glitter ball dice too...

Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM
milkrun49
1st Gear
Disco boy

Originally Posted by GregoryK
Yep. Who would have thought that "Fuzzy Dice" could be superseded....I'm ordering a fur cover dash and getting a custom licence plate - "Disco Boy"....and maybe glitter ball dice too...
The word disco lights are not actually what I was looking to say here. I was at the dealer a few weeks ago and my salesman was asking me how much more I liked my 2015 JCW than my 2008 JCW I just sold. I said it was a little more refined than my '08. He also asked me if I liked the ability to change the light display in the ring. He showed me how to get it to change colors. I personally liked the RPM display but the wife liked the color changes. Guess who won? As far as fuzzy dice, like my last 3 JCW's they all stayed bone stock except for the K&N and Mobile 1 oil.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Idiot_Savant
1st Gear
that's BS. I've never seen a JCW without it!
I'm being told there is an option called "547 Chrono Pack" that needs to be specified to get the JCW blind ring (it's £140 in the UK).

I'm 95% sure this pack did not exist when I ordered my car.

Edit- For what it's worth I ordered my car in May.

Last edited by Idiot_Savant; 08-21-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-21-2015, 06:39 AM
Idiot_Savant
1st Gear
So the "COCKPIT CHRONO PACKAGE" has recently appeared on the UK JCW website configurator, this matches the £140 price I was told by my dealer. On the website selecting this option does not appear to change anything on the car (it has the JCW ring if it is selected or not) and in the description it says "No description available.".

Searching on-line I have come across a description of the Cockpit Chrono Package on the minif56 forum from some dealer documentation, it describes the 3 analogue instruments behind the steering wheel and makes no mention of the blind ring. I couldn't have specified this option as I have the HUD.

So once again the combined power of MINI and my dealer are unable to give me a straight answer as to what has happened.

(Sorry for the long post but you guys are the only people who seem to know what they are talking about and help me feel like I'm not going nuts!)

Old 08-21-2015, 11:49 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't forget those curb feelers!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:16 AM
SF-JCW
Neutral
Originally Posted by Idiot_Savant
I'm being told there is an option called "547 Chrono Pack" that needs to be specified to get the JCW blind ring (it's £140 in the UK).
Prior to ordering our JCW I went around lots of UK dealers and saw around 20 new JCWs in a lot of colours and combinations. Not one of them had the chrono pack, but every single one had the JCW blind ring.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:03 AM
SF-JCW
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
I was just wondering something else about the JCW blind ring. Is it just the glossy black but that's different on the JCW?

The reason I ask is that the picture earlier in this thread appears to show little silvery notches just inside the led ring too. Is this on all Minis these days, cause my current March 2014 F56 Cooper doesn't have these?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:41 AM
Idiot_Savant
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SF-JCW
I was just wondering something else about the JCW blind ring. Is it just the glossy black but that's different on the JCW?

The reason I ask is that the picture earlier in this thread appears to show little silvery notches just inside the led ring too.
I've just been to have a look at mine and it doesn't have the silver notches on, but the blind ring piece includes the transparent part that goes over the LED ring, so I assume the silver bits are part of the JCW ring (well for those who are lucky enough to know the super secret option you need to select to get it )

Oh and same as you I've never seen another JCW (in real life or magazine reviews) that doesn't have the JCW ring. Although my dealer swears all of there's have had the plain ring I've never seen one.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Idiot_Savant
1st Gear
Oddly it appears that in the very first JCW press shots the car has a plain blind ring:

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-ga...d-info-news#14

Old 09-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Idiot_Savant
1st Gear
So, another update in my blind ring saga. So after I pointed out to them they were totally wrong about the chrono pack the dealer have gone back to saying it's because I specced piano black interior. In a 'good will' gesture to get me to go away the dealer have said they are going to take the JCW blind ring off their senior salesman's car and put it on mine.

The thing is I'm 99% sure they are wrong about the piano black thing, I mean there is a picture of a JCW with the JCW blind ring and piano black on their own server!

http://sytner.alerts.images.neon.ser...ht=0&crop=auto

If any of you folks have a piano black interior in your JCW and could take a picture that shows the trim and the blind ring in one shot for me I'd really appreciate it! I want to get enough evidence to convince them to find out what really went wrong.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Wyntermute
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you needed to tick the box on option NHO, which ensures that your JCW will be assembled by folks that are Not Hung Over from a weekend bender.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:38 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
or maybe the box NLSA - No Late Shift Assembly. After all the plant runs 24/7...

Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
Wyntermute
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or maybe the box NLSA - No Late Shift Assembly. After all the plant runs 24/7...
That one, too.

I have to say, though, that the fact that there were two of the retaining pins in the OP's cupholder makes me wonder if someone wasn't doing a bit of "unauthorized parts trading" when nobody was watching.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:01 AM
SF-JCW
Neutral
I want to get enough evidence to convince them to find out what really went wrong.
I'm totally with you on this. I would be looking for confirmation from the factory that the wrong part was fitted and a brand new (not removed from another car) JCW blind ring. It would then be up to you if and when you choose to fit it.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:14 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's MY 2016 JCW. Has the JCW ring and the Piano Black accents. Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Blind Ring Change-blindring.jpg  
Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 AM
j0fer
Neutral
Originally Posted by Wyntermute
That one, too.

I have to say, though, that the fact that there were two of the retaining pins in the OP's cupholder makes me wonder if someone wasn't doing a bit of "unauthorized parts trading" when nobody was watching.
I think you've nailed it here. If you've watched the production/tour/plant videos you learn enough to know that each car gets precisely the exact number of each part it needs to be built. The plant workers who built your gauge have probably built thousands before it...they don't just 'accidentally' grab 4 pins instead of 2.

I guess now I'm obligated to go make a new member/one on order post.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:15 PM
veevsato
1st Gear
I make no bones about my opinion on some of the design choices on the F56! One thing I really hate is the "Lego" style JCW blind ring. I understand that it is calibration for the led tachometer....but the one on my new JCW has to go.
Was wondering if anyone knows if the blind ring off the MCS will fit? I would think the insides of the ring would be the same so the ring should be a direct swap.
BMW part # 65509354400 (plain gloss black)
JCW Part # 65509338328

The cost of the MCS Blind Ring is $36 delivered. Looks like the JCW one is way more....
I called my dealer and they want over $70 US for the plain ring. Where did you see the part for 36 shipped?

Old 09-14-2015, 12:22 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
ECS Tuning.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM
veevsato
1st Gear
Thanks. Also found the door lock cover plate that was just stolen off of my car. Sheesh, 32 bucks for a 1 inch piece of plastic??

Old 09-14-2015, 01:22 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
65509354400 right here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65509354400/

&

F56 JCW version : 65509338327 Non Navigation version / wired

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65509338327/

F56 JCW version 65509338328 is for navigation / wired and not out yet.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 09-14-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 02:03 AM
SF-JCW
Neutral
If any of you folks have a piano black interior in your JCW and could take a picture that shows the trim and the blind ring in one shot for me I'd really appreciate it! I want to get enough evidence to convince them to find out what really went wrong.
So I've just picked up my UK spec JCW with Piano Black interior and it doesn't have the JCW blind ring! So during hand over I asked my salesman about this and right away he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said there had been a memo from Mini a short while ago saying the supply shortages meant some cars were having the regular blind ring fitted. He wasn't sure when it would return to normal or what plans Mini had to add the correct part later. This kind of leaves a dilemma, as while I prefer it without the JCW markings, a JCW without the markings doesn't look quite right.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Thanks for the info, did not know about the supply shortage for the UK part.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Just a heads up on this. If the Mini configurator shows the JCW ring on your countries website they have to supply you with one.....no question., shortage or not.

Quick Reply: JCW Blind Ring Change