JCW JCW tuning kit

Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 PM
a5sh5te34
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW tuning kit

Does anyone know if any of the jcw tuning kits or accessories is available now? I have an all4 and am thinking to upgrade the brake.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM
SCountryMAN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by a5sh5te34
Does anyone know if any of the jcw tuning kits or accessories is available now? I have an all4 and am thinking to upgrade the brake.
I have same question (looking for brakes and possible to reprogram AWD to be more performance oriented)

Don't see anything on MINI site.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:38 AM
a5sh5te34
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SCountryMAN
I have same question (looking for brakes and possible to reprogram AWD to be more performance oriented)

Don't see anything on MINI site.
I've heard back from one of the dealer. He said the kit was not available yet, and they didn't have ETA.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:42 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake upgrade? You mean the painted JCW red caliper? Aside from the red paint, is exactly the same as what's in the Cooper S All4?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
from what i understand if you want to tune your countryman, mini wants you to sell yours and order a JCW edition countryman. they are giving owners hassle about tuning them with aftermarket parts and are not planning on selling tuning parts for the countryman .

Old 12-07-2012, 06:57 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by youthanasia
Brake upgrade? You mean the painted JCW red caliper? Aside from the red paint, is exactly the same as what's in the Cooper S All4?
No, the JCW kit is a Brembo kit with 4 pistons.

Back in the 1st Gen years, the current standard S brakes were the JCW upgrade, but there are currently 3 tiers of brakes.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
R60All4
2nd Gear
I was at Ferman MINI in Palm Harbour FL and my dealer said that they are Brembo. I questioned him because all the pics show the same brakes as my S All4 but red. He shrugged and said "to be a true JCW it would have Brembo". There were none on the lot but they were doing a big 2013 model year event in Tampa, said there were some there.

I love my MINI but the misinformation/lack there of is beyond frustrating, pics/info never matches, nobody can give a definite answer... bleh

Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Mical
4th Gear
They are 4 piston Brembo's as Chrunck & R60 stated above.

Attached Thumbnails JCW tuning kit-mini-countryman-jcw-02.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 07:57 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
It's hard to tell for sure from that picture, but those look like the standard S brakes to me, just painted red with a logo.

The Brembo kit looks like this:

Old 01-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Saw a JCW countrtman at the dealership last week. Definitely just painted Cooper S Calipers. Not the 4-piston brembo monoblock calipers as with the other jcw models

Old 01-14-2013, 07:45 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
I think the JCW CM has the standard air box as well. The JCW doesn't sound like a great deal...

Old 01-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
My dealership said they should make a tuning kit....no when or how much, I give it a year before it comes out...

Old 03-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Old 03-04-2013, 03:38 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
I have to correct you. The factory JCW tune is available from dealer. I got mine through Motorwerks BMW/Mini - 2600. installed.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by Mical
I have to correct you. The factory JCW tune is available from dealer. I got mine through Motorwerks BMW/Mini - 2600. installed.
If that's true, that's damn expensive for a tune. Though I suppose you're still covered with warranty.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
If that's true, that's damn expensive for a tune. Though I suppose you're still covered with warranty.
Yea it is, if I had to do it over I'd probably pass and do it with aftermarket parts and an independent tuner. Live & learn.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They are 4 piston Brembo's as Chrunck & R60 stated above.
The brakes in your picture are just the standard All-4 S brakes painted red with a JCW logo. Similar to the 1st Gen JCW brakes on the MINI Cooper S with JCW kit.

I haven't seen the JCW Countryman in person, but the specs on MINIUSA.com show that it will have Brembo's. Interesting because the pictures all show the single-piston design, which I don't think Brembo makes for cars, only bikes.

Last edited by NJ Mini; 03-05-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Mini
The brakes in your picture are just the standard All-4 S brakes painted red with a JCW logo. Similar to the 1st Gen JCW brakes on the MINI Cooper S with JCW kit.

I haven't seen the JCW Countryman in person, but the specs on MINIUSA.com show that it will have Brembo's. Interesting because the pictures all show the single-piston design, which I don't think Brembo makes for cars, only bikes.
that is correct, earlier we were discussing "big brake kits" that were pictured when JCW Countryman press releases were going on, and speculated that they looked like 4 piston Brembos. After seeing a couple JCW CMs, yes they are just standard calipers painted red w/sticker.

Below is pic of caliper on 2013 JCW CM - I took at Motorwerks last week

Attached Thumbnails JCW tuning kit-img_3087.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 07:11 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah that's ashame. Figured for the price increase, you would get a heckuva lot more than what amounts to be the tuning kit plus a few upgraded internals.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
Really?

Did they apply a tune specific for the R60, or did they flash your chip with a tune for the hardtop (same motor)? What all was included with the JCW tuning kit? Any idea on what gains were realized from this tune?

I don't doubt you got a tune from you dealer. What I'm curious to learn is if your dealer applied a tune developed specifically for the Countryman, or just used the same tune applied for every other MINI but the CM/PM.

I didn't see anything of this sort advertised on MINI's JCW accessories site:
http://www.shopminiusa.com/JOHN-COOP...S-PERFORMANCE#

Am interested in learning more if you're willing to share... thanks.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Mical
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rktcyntst
Really?

Did they apply a tune specific for the R60, or did they flash your chip with a tune for the hardtop (same motor)? What all was included with the JCW tuning kit? Any idea on what gains were realized from this tune?

I don't doubt you got a tune from you dealer. What I'm curious to learn is if your dealer applied a tune developed specifically for the Countryman, or just used the same tune applied for every other MINI but the CM/PM.

Am interested in learning more if you're willing to share... thanks.
When I originally went in and asked about getting the tune they said "sure, no problem - $2600 installed". I made the appointment which was supposed to be 1 day, overall it took almost 3 days as they didn't have everything in stock... It did get the JCW exhaust, intake/air filter, valve cover & all the emblems & documentation (I don't have my receipt in front of me for all the details - I'm out of town currently)

As mentioned earlier if I had to do it over again - I'd probably pass because it's not all what I expected. It does have more "oomph". In standard mode it feels like the original sport mode and in sport mode it feels much stronger but still not what I expected from that kind of investment. I'm going to have to test drive one of the '13 JCWs to compare. I'm suspecting as to what you said above re: generic JCW tune and I'll address them in April when it's in for it's "annual free be".

Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Rktcyntst
4th Gear
When I originally went in and asked about getting the tune they said "sure, no problem - $2600 installed". I made the appointment which was supposed to be 1 day, overall it took almost 3 days as they didn't have everything in stock... It did get the JCW exhaust, intake/air filter, valve cover & all the emblems & documentation (I don't have my receipt in front of me for all the details - I'm out of town currently)

As mentioned earlier if I had to do it over again - I'd probably pass because it's not all what I expected. It does have more "oomph". In standard mode it feels like the original sport mode and in sport mode it feels much stronger but still not what I expected from that kind of investment. I'm going to have to test drive one of the '13 JCWs to compare. I'm suspecting as to what you said above re: generic JCW tune and I'll address them in April when it's in for it's "annual free be".
At least you got some hardware with the tune for that price. Hope you're able to sort things out and thanks for the info!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear

Mical, I did the JCW tune kit on my 2008 MCS. I now have a 2013 JCW. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. World of difference btw.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Mical
4th Gear
Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JCW JCW tuning kit