JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Can I "GP Tune" a JCW?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Can I "GP Tune" a JCW?

So, Ive been wanting to computer tune my '06 JCW, but I dont have $500 yet to blow on that. I have several upgrades (pulley, plugs, ect.), and the car runs awesome, but I know there is more available through the computer.

So, it dawned on me one day, after reading an article about the GP... Can i use the GP's computer tune on MY JCW?

They are essentially the same car, save that the GP has some weight saving components, a larger intercooler, and a different model of supercharger.

The GP has a few extra horses right? so, its either coming from one or both of only 2 places (that i can see): the different model of supercharger, OR the "GP Computer Tune".

The GP model lets you rev to 7.1k, vs the regular MCS only just under 7k rpm... So, is it that extra RPM giving the GP more HP? does the computer tune give it more juice as well? or is the GP supercharger really that much better?

In the concept of leaving everything "factory", with regards to upgrades, I love the idea that I can essentially roll into a dealer and have a GP computer tune programmed into my car! how easy!

Has anyone done this? Is it do-able?
Thoughts please!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:34 AM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I understand the dealership will not sell you parts for a GP unless you can provide proof you own one. At least thats the way it is here in AZ.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
ya, but a computer tune is not really a "part"... its software, digital data, 1's and 0's... its just voltage.

So, aside from any future comments about what the "dealer will / will not do", for I care not about the logistics of this theory. that is not what the thread is about. The thread is about whether or not it CAN be done, and if it would add more HP to a car....

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stop by your dealer and ask if it can be done

If it can be done I don't think it will be very in-expensive. The dealer will charge you by the hour for the time it will take to download the program and it may take at least three to four hours to do. Multiply the hours by what the dealer charges and you will probably have a stroke.

I'm pretty sure you will be better off getting a high performance tune from one of the aftermarket company's because the factory tune even for the GP's will be a compromise because of emissions and economy.

If your dealer charges $125.00 per hour labor and it takes four hours you will still be paying $500.00 for the reprogramming.

You do have to be careful after you have the tunner programming done because if you have your car worked on at the dealers and they need to program your car you will be back to the factory software.

If you do get the GP program you can request it be put back in if the car ever needs to be reprogrammed.

Personally, I would save up and put the money on some nice lite "OZ" wheels.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK thanks for the clarification. IS it possible... YES. You can take the ECU from from a JCW and have it programed to THINK it's a GP. I know for a fact a guy here in AZ has had a backup made for his GP.

I can't answer your second question as I don't know what the differences are in the "tune".

Old 03-16-2012, 04:45 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 200 Likes on 147 Posts
Ronnie948 is right...Just get an aftermarket dyno "tune". You'll come out with more hp than a stock GP. Now, a GP with a dyno "tune"...That's a whole 'nother ballgame!