JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Steering Wheel Center Trim Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 PM
Quadrivium10
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Center Trim Removal

I'm in the process of making several upgrades to my R53. Those upgrades include the JCW Shift ****, JCW Ebrake Handle, JCW Strut Bar, JCW Matte Black Grilles, JCW Performance Tuning Kit, and the JCW Center Steering Wheel Trim.

I have the Multi-Function Sport Steering Wheel currently. Throughout the course of my research everyone says that the full set of JCW Steering Wheel trim doesn't allow for the use of the multi-function buttons.

Given that, I'm going to upgrade the bottom center trim piece on my current steering wheel.

Does the airbag have to be taken out of the steering wheel to remove that center trim piece? I found one thread/site that states it's just one T20 Hex bolt on the back of the steering wheel that holds that piece in. I just want to confirm this before I start taking my steering wheel apart

Thanks everyone!

Quadrivium10

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
that center trim piece does NOT come off unfortunately :(
lots have tried... i think its like, Glued to the airbag or something... i would not recommend tinkering with it, you could blow your air bag or something.

What you CAN do, (what I did), is get some Vinyl Wrap on ebay! Bam! $2 later, different colored center trim piece!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Quadrivium10
3rd Gear
My bad...I was referring to the lower center trim piece. Not the center trim piece on the air bag portion of the wheel.

I'm going to have that and the ebrake handle installed when I have the JCW Performance Tuning Kit installed by MINI. We installed the JCW Shifter with no problems and then decided just to have the rest installed since everything else is.

Thanks for replying back!

Quadrivium10

Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumping up for an answer. I think the OP was asking about this: http://www.outmotoring.com/black-low...-jcw-logo.html

Does anyone know how?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
There's a a screw behind the steering wheel. Remove it, and pull it off! Pretty simple. Hard part is getting it back in without breaking the tabs :(

Although its easier to do if you take off the airbag, but I was kinda scared to, so, I didn't, and broke the upper tabs. Good news, is it didn't make a difference!

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm, I can't seem to find where the screw is. My steering wheel is from a 2012.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:20 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
straight back. you will need to pull the air bag to get it back in however.
Or you could be a ape and break the tabs to get it in.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:16 PM
kalimba
Neutral
This thread is old, but posting this for anyone else who finds it in search of an answer.

Basically, for certain steering wheels, there is no fastener holding the lower center trim piece. It is held in place by four friction-fit pegs on the back of the trim piece, as seen in this image of a similar trim piece:

To remove the trim piece, you'll have to gently pry it out. Because the pegs are somewhat long, the best advice is to pry each side up just a little bit, then pry the other side up a similar amount. Then repeat until the entire piece can be removed. Be careful to not scratch the steering wheel with whatever pry tool you're using.

I just did this with my 2011 Clubman S steering wheel, which has the multifunction controls and the gear shift paddles.

I'm not sure which other steering wheels also use this friction-fit trim piece, but if you're struggling to find a fastener hole on the rear of the steering wheel (as I was), then perhaps yours is like this, too.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:36 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a press on fit that has to be "shimmied" or "walked" up a wee bit at time.
ISAMIN