JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW Used 2010 JCW value.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
ndill
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used 2010 JCW value.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

Could someone give me an idea of a reasonable price on this 2010 JWC.
1500 miles.
Options as far as I can tell as follows:
Premium package.
Cold weather package.
Arm-rest.
Sat-nav.
JWC shifter handle.
JWC aero-kit.
JWC carbon wing.
JWC 18-inch wheels and tires.
Xeon Headlamps.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunately, the Kelley Blue Book web site (http://www.kbb.com/) doesn't seem to have information on used 2010 MINI's... You might need to work up a similarly-equipped 2009 model, then extrapolate a bit... Oh, and you'll find a lot of the things you listed (e.g., all the JCW accessories) aren't available for selection when working up the value on this web site; they just don't factor in, apparently.

Asking prices/projected values will vary quite dramatically, depending on whether you're looking at one on a MINI lot (perhaps "MINI Next"/CPO certified), another manufacturer's lot (retail), or just another individual (private party). You didn't mention that aspect in your posting -- or the specific JCW model (Hardtop, Clubman, or Convertible) -- so I'll leave it to you to "run the numbers" yourself.

And like with anything else, ultimately it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it...

Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That price looks way high to me. You could order a similar JCW for probably the same price. You wouldn't get the custom painted arches, but, you'd have a brand new car instead of one that is a year old and dumped at 1500 miles for who knows what reason..

Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
That price looks way high to me. You could order a similar JCW for probably the same price.
Oh, yeah. Concur there. Sorry; I missed the link during the first run through...

If you really want a steal on a 2009 JCW Hardtop, here's one in Marble Falls:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TAFSRCHUSDTEXT

Hard to tell what optional equipment is installed from the description/photos, but Kelley Blue Book says ~$30k retail price for a "stripper." Granted, it's one model year older (which isn't necessarily a bad thing); a different color; and doesn't already have all the JCW accessories. But with the money you'd save over that one in Boerne, you could add all that on yourself and still have cash in your pocket...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 AM
ndill
Neutral
Thanks for the reply's. The wheels are a 3k option and the navi adds another 2K but even then their price is so high they need to put down the
crack pipe. I'm thinking around 32K with all the **** on it.
Timfitz thanks for the tip on the one in marble falls it didn't come up on my search.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
I wouldn't touch that JCW. If it checked out ok. I'd offer about $30-$32.
Personally a new S with a few good options would be way less...plenty of fun at a big savings. That's if an S would be ok. Otherwise a base JCW is a good start and you can add to it as you go along.
Used is Used.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:24 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LaurelEdition
I wouldn't touch that JCW ... Used is Used.
Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that opinion. I bought my JCW used -- from a Dodge dealer's lot, no less -- and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. It had quite a number more miles than 1,500 too; but I got a very good deal 'cause this Dodge dealer really didn't know what he had, and priced it like a Clubman S.

This area running along I-10 from San Antonio to Boerne has some fairly affluent residents; I'm guessing someone maybe bought this JCW for their kid (or themselves); then 1,500 miles/5 months down the road, decided it just wasn't the car for them and traded it on a Mercedes. When you got lots of money, that's sometimes how people act... Doesn't mean there's a thing in the world wrong with the car other than that someone decided it just didn't suit them. Or that some rich kid got bored with it and wanted something different this month... Now, asking price -- well, that's another matter...

I will agree with you on the range for fair asking price on that vehicle, though (~$30-32k). This Mercedes dealer is pricing it like new, either thinking he can get one of these folks to bite just 'cause they've got cash and gotta have that one; or thinking he's got an "ultra-special-edition," high-demand vehicle on his lot. He'll come down when no one even inquires about it at $39k+ because (as "Jeremy1026" pointed out) anyone can drive 20 miles or so back down the road to MINI of San Antonio, and get a brand new one for that price. In fact, it's already been taking up space (albeit not much) on his lot for about 2 months, according to the CarFAX report he's posted...

As far as any used vehicle goes, you've just got to be smart about your purchase and go in educated about the vehicle. Be prepared to scrutinize it, and know what areas bear closer examination than others. Ask to take it to an independent mechanic (or MINI) if you think there are any issues.

And you can buy a brand new car that's a complete dud; believe me, I know 'cause I've been there once with a lemon buy-back...

Last edited by timfitz63; 07-27-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:35 AM
LaurelEdition
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Well, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with that opinion. I bought my JCW used -- from a Dodge dealer's lot, no less -- and haven't had any issues with it whatsoever. It had quite a number more miles than 1,500 too; but I got a very good deal 'cause this Dodge dealer really didn't know what he had, and priced it like a Clubman S.

This area running along I-10 from San Antonio to Boerne has some fairly affluent residents; I'm guessing someone maybe bought this JCW for their kid (or themselves); then 1,500 miles/5 months down the road, decided it just wasn't the car for them and traded it on a Mercedes. When you got lots of money, that's sometimes how people act... Doesn't mean there's a thing in the world wrong with the car other than that someone decided it just didn't suit them. Or that some rich kid got bored with it and wanted something different this month... Now, asking price -- well, that's another matter...

I will agree with you on the range for fair asking price on that vehicle, though (~$30-32k). This Mercedes dealer is pricing it like new, either thinking he can get one of these folks to bite just 'cause they've got cash and gotta have that one; or thinking he's got an "ultra-special-edition," high-demand vehicle on his lot. He'll come down when no one even inquires about it at $39k+ because (as "Jeremy1026" pointed out) anyone can drive 20 miles back down to MINI of San Antonio and get a brand new one for that price. In fact, it's already been taking up space on his lot for about 2 months, according to the CarFAX report he's posted...

As far as any used vehicle goes, you've just got to be smart about your purchase and go in educated about the vehicle. Be prepared to scrutinize it, and know what areas bear closer examination than others. Ask to take it to an independent mechanic (or MINI) if you think there are any issues.

And you can buy a brand new car that's a complete dud; believe me, I know 'cause I've been there once with a lemon buy-back...
Excellent reply. Let's just say I'm skeptical about pre-owned off the lot. But there are a some good finds around. And I realize not everyone can afford a new Mini. My logic is buy new with less options if the price tag is up there. Anyway, your post is very well stated.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LaurelEdition
Excellent reply. Let's just say I'm skeptical about pre-owned off the lot. But there are a some good finds around. And I realize not everyone can afford a new Mini. My logic is buy new with less options if the price tag is up there. Anyway, your post is very well stated.
Thank you!

And I'm skeptical of used too -- which is why I recommend educated scrutiny!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That $39K asking price is definitely from the opium den . I agree though that lots of people buy cars for the wrong reasons then flip them quickly for a big loss. I know I'm somewhat guilty, having owned around 30 cars in my 30ish years of driving. My second car, purchased this past January, is a 2007 BMW MCoupe. Only had 18K one-owner miles on it, still has factory warranty, etc. BMW had smokin' two and three year lease deals along with factory incentives back then so there's lots of like-new MCoupes on the market right now. The Marble Falls car for $24K seems much more in line. That's a retirement town for many, so it's quite possible that someone bought it and tired of its ride quality and moved on to something more....domestic.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I think the JCW wheels come with the factory JCW package price, not extra. That price seems high. I just saw an 09 JCW Clubman, no aero kit, but nice, at a dealer asking 30K in my smallish town. Low miles. I'm tempted to trade lemme tell you!

Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
bholloway
Neutral
I wouldn't pay 39k for that car. You could pretty much buy a new one almost loaded for 39k. The only way I would buy it, is if it came down in price a lot, and it happened to be exactly what you're looking for in terms of color, options, wheels etc. That mercedes dealer probably has no idea how to price it. If you want it, I'd go in and offer 28k and work from there.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I think the JCW wheels come with the factory JCW package price, not extra.
That's true, but the rims on the subject vehicle are optional. Not sure off-hand whether they're a $0 swap or extra money, though... Dealer listing says 17-inch rims, but they may just be rambling off the basic specs they pulled from the internet; if "ndill" is correct, and they're the 18-inch rims (and they very well could be), they're definitely not a $0 swap with the standard JCW rims that come with the vehicle...

I just saw an 09 JCW Clubman, no aero kit, but nice, at a dealer asking 30K in my smallish town. Low miles. I'm tempted to trade lemme tell you!
Bet you could talk him down at least a couple thousand on it. Buyer's market!

Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
WC50 408
4th Gear
I just built that car on the Mini USA site and not knowing if it has convenience pkg, which would add 1500, it MSRP's at just a little over 43,000. So being used an ok price for it would be around 33-35K. Just my opinion but a dealer will tell you it loses 25-30% of value driving off the lot the first time. So 33-35k should be a fair price. Hope this helps. BTW the wheels on that JCW are a 3099.00 option.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:33 PM
ndill
Neutral
I went down and looked at the car yesterday. It's a very nice car the previous owner only had it for about 3.5 months. It looks showroom. I offered them 32K for it they wouldn't bite. Beyond that it's not worth it to me. Its a benz dealer, it was obvious they didn't know anything about mini's.
Found out it was traded at one of their sister dealerships. I think they moved
it to the benz dealer to make a fat profit on it. I left and told the salesguy
to call me if they changed they mind.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Mini Mee
3rd Gear
I went to their main site and "Live Help" was available... I almost clicked the chat button to see what they are smokin I would estimate that they are at least 5k high on that price... you can bet you wouldn't get 31 in trade from them ..........

Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ndill
I went down and looked at the car yesterday. It's a very nice car the previous owner only had it for about 3.5 months. It looks showroom. I offered them 32K for it they wouldn't bite. Beyond that it's not worth it to me. Its a benz dealer, it was obvious they didn't know anything about mini's. Found out it was traded at one of their sister dealerships. I think they moved it to the benz dealer to make a fat profit on it. I left and told the salesguy to call me if they changed they mind.
Hmmm. So, they're reasoning is that just because the car has spent almost as much time on their lot as it did off the MINI lot, it's worth the new-car price...? The really are on narcotics...

I guess if they're that proud of the car, they can keep holding on to it until the cows come home to Boerne -- 'cause absolutely no one who has a clue about MINI's is going to give them what they're asking...

Did they say why it was traded in...? Just curious more than anything...

Old 07-29-2010, 08:27 PM
ndill
Neutral
Originally Posted by timfitz63
Hmmm. So, they're reasoning is that just because the car has spent almost as much time on their lot as it did off the MINI lot, it's worth the new-car price...? The really are on narcotics...

I guess if they're that proud of the car, they can keep holding on to it until the cows come home to Boerne -- 'cause absolutely no one who has a clue about MINI's is going to give them what they're asking...

Did they say why it was traded in...? Just curious more than anything...
I think it was traded in on a toyota at their sister dealership next door
door they moved it to the benz dealer to try to make a fatter profit. I think
they're hoping for a sucker, but thats not the type of person who buys a
JCW. Like you said no one who knows mini's and knows the mini market
will give them what they want. Its like exotic car dealers who add a 25-30K
mark-up and hope for a sucker. They'll end up sitting on it for 6 months
to a year and in the end will sell it at a reasonable price or sell it at dealer
auction. Not worth anymore of my aggravation, I don't have time for fools.
Its sad it's a nice car.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:46 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ndill
They'll end up sitting on it for 6 months to a year and in the end will sell it at a reasonable price or sell it at dealer auction. Not worth anymore of my aggravation, I don't have time for fools. Its sad it's a nice car.
Agreed there. The true irony is, if this is the car you want and you're willing to wait that long, you can probably waltz in there around Christmas -- when almost nothing is moving off their lot -- offer them $29k for the car, and probably drive it home... They'll have swindled themselves out of ~$3k (plus whatever it cost them to keep it in in their inventory) by not taking your offer yesterday, and the same customer will be driving the car... There's a savvy business manager for you...

Old 07-30-2010, 07:02 AM
ej827
2nd Gear
I don't think they will sell that car for less than $35,000.
That car is pretty loaded. Remember just on wheels, spoiler kit and navigation that's $8,500 in options there alone.
The car is very nice and in new condition. Offer $34,000 and go from there.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ej827
I don't think they will sell that car for less than $35,000.
That car is pretty loaded. Remember just on wheels, spoiler kit and navigation that's $8,500 in options there alone.
The car is very nice and in new condition. Offer $34,000 and go from there.
They charge about $2500 for the JCW wheels that come on the factory car, I checked it out once. So upping the ante for different wheels is bunk. The dealer just wants to wait and see if anyone will bite on it, because it's an unusual car to have on the lot, at least one that nearly new. Will they show you the window sticker?

Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
ndill
Neutral
They charge about $2500 for the JCW wheels that come on the factory car, I checked it out once. So upping the ante for different wheels is bunk. The dealer just wants to wait and see if anyone will bite on it, because it's an unusual car to have on the lot, at least one that nearly new. Will they show you the window sticker?
Window sticker are you kidding. I had to have a mini dealer pull the original options packages on the car those guys are clueless. I don't suffer
fools well. beyond 32K the car isn't worth the hassels to many other good
minis out there.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
sequence
6th Gear
If I were to buy a used MINI, it would be from a MINI dealer, and I would only get a MINI-Next CPO that carries that great extended warranty--plus from salespeople who (should) know what they're selling.

I'd pass on that JCW. At that price, they will make a lot of money, because used car sales are ANY dealership's bread and butter numero uno profit maker.

Another thing about that car (and all other JCWs) that bugs me: no sports suspension. It essentially has the same suspension as a bone stock MC or MCS. Why could they afford nav, but not get the upgraded suspension? Directionally challenged AND a bad back??

Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
ej827
2nd Gear
The wheels on that car are a $2,500 to $3,000 option. Plus Factory Navigation is rare on a Mini and it's a $2,000 option. Also the JCW Spoiler Kit painted with the JCW Carbon Fiber Wing is a $3,500 option.

I think that $39,700 is still on the high side, but you always negotiate. I also think that offering $29,000 is a joke.
That car is fully loaded. If you want to buy a used JCW for $29,000 to $32,000 you can. But it will NOT have all those options.
If you like that car with all those options and only 1,500 miles you are going to pay more than $29,000 to $32,000.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
Can you say White Elephant? The first owner of that car either ordered maxxed out, then tired of it quickly, or fell hook, line, and sinker for an extremely loaded lot car. My guess is the first scenario. Let's just say that car sold for a MSRP of around $43K, I can guarantee you the dealer paid no more than $30-31K for it as a trade-in. They might have padded numbers on the new Toyota to make the seller think he was getting more for his trade, but that's just the way the market works. Now the selling dealer, who it has already been established knows nothing about the MINI market, THINKS that he can get a bundle for it. All things previously mentioned by other posters are true, either someone's going to come in that just wants it and doesn't care to haggle, or more likely, it's going to be collecting dust for awhile.

My last car purchase (non MINI) was similar. I wanted a '06-'08 BMW MCoupe and found a cherry '07 at a local dealer. After doing some research, I figured they were about $3k too high, so I offered them the lower price. They declined, and 45 days later they did end up selling it for $1K over my offer, but I have to wonder if holding costs exceeded that. During the same time period, the same BMW dealer took an '09 Audi TTS in on trade. The Audi dealer across the freeway told me there were incentives and I could get a leftover brand new TTS for around $41K, the BMW dealer wanted $47K for their used one, it ended up on their lot for a couple of months too. Moral of story, I found and purchased a cherry MCoupe also locally for the price I wanted to pay, the dealer lost out on two potential sales to me.

Quick Reply: JCW Used 2010 JCW value.