JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

My MINI is almost here!!! Plus JCW question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:28 AM
abel
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a couple more weeks and my black mini cooper s will be here!!! Just found this sight and I gotta say, you guys rock! Glad to see I'm not the only MINI nut. Here's my question, my JCW kit is coming in at about the same time as my MINI. However, the dealer said they recomend that I wait for 1200 miles before installing the JCW kit. Is this true? Do I need to wait 1200 miles? Will there be adverse effects if I install it imediately?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2003, 08:34 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
I haven't heard of the 1,200 mile wait. I am pretty sure there are a number of MCO members that have had he kit installed before delivery, and my dealer is installing my kit before delivery.....in less then two weeks !

If you get any other information about this please be sure to post it here for all of us.

Old 09-23-2003, 08:37 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the tribe, and I see you came packin HP in the form of JCW. Yes, its recommended that you break-in your engine prior to performing any mods, JCW included. Use the search on the site for some break-in threads as many have come before you. Motor On

Old 09-23-2003, 08:43 AM
MiniJoker
Neutral
Hello,

I had the same question and emailed JCW in the UK. Their response was that it was not necessary, and in fact, they take new cars from the factory and convert them to JCWs cars. Unfortunately, I do not have the email anymore, but it was clear it was OK.

After you transform it to JCWs, I suppose you still need to break in the new car.

I'm doing the same thing to my car. It's brand new and the kit is here. It will be converted by the end of this week.

Have a blast with your car!

Old 09-23-2003, 08:22 PM
MGear
5th Gear
While it may not be necessary to wait 1200 before installing your JCW, it would give you much more appreciation and understanding of the total effect the JCW has on a regular S. You would have a clear point of comparison which I found to be very interesting. Another thing I found interesting was I installed the Promini oil and boost gauge before the JCW upgrade. A normal reading while in boost was 7 to 10 before the upgrade. After the upgrade it now registers 12 to 14, almost double.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:20 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
abel,
Aloha and welcome to MCO-
Technically there is no need to wait. Install the kit if you wish and then proceed to do the 1200 mile break in.
MGear has a GOOD point. By driving the car stock for at least 1000 miles you now have a point of reference to judge your beloved JCW kit. If you are into the process of what makes the JCW kit what it is then you might want to wait. If you are all for-"pure power rip roaring fun" then don't hesitate to install the kit. Only you know who disciplined you are.

The other consideration is this- When you get a new car you really don't know if it will be a troublesome one or not. There are lemons out there and we know that. At least if you drive the car a bit you will be able to tell if it is doing very well or not. Then if all seems kosher you can do the deed and add the kit. So a honeymoon period is good in case life has dealt you lemonade when you ordered a strawberry dacquiri.

Old 09-24-2003, 06:21 AM
MGear
5th Gear
Actually Minihun's suggestion for waiting, just to see how troublesome your Mini might be before the JCW is a great idea and certainly worth the wait. Besides as you get older you'll find that 'anticipation' is part of the enjoyment (as it is in everything in life!)

Old 09-24-2003, 06:39 AM
CooperBeagle
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a big: WELCOME!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2003, 07:31 AM
abel
2nd Gear
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. Anticipation? I've had months and MONTHS of anticipation!!!!! I'm not sure how I'm going to last the next 2 weeks! Based on all your comments, I think I'll wait. After all, 1200 miles is nothing. I'll probably put on 1200 miles the first weekend I pick up my car :smile:

Old 09-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Jims5543
3rd Gear
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I was able to put 800 miles on my MCS before the JCW kit was installed. MGear is right drive it for a couple of weeks then get the kit installed. You'll appreciate the change more and what a change it is!!!!

It is hard for me to leave the Mini home in the Garage it is so much fun!!