JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW How is the JCW suspension for an Everyday Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:26 PM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is the JCW suspension for an Everyday Driver?

My question is this. How much of a ride compromise is the everyday driving comfort with JCW Suspension package?
I have an 08 MCS that is my everyday driver. I just have the Sport package. I take it to the track about once a month. I really like my car's ride for an everyday driver but would like a little more performance on the track.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:55 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could at least get bigger sway bars to really help the handling, and it won't affect how it rides on the street.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 AM
minim8o
4th Gear
Surprisingly critical of it on the road:
- http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/08/...rt-suspension/

Made-up for it on the track:
- http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/08/...-at-the-track/

Realized tire's pressure was too high, and suspension needed to break-in, yielding a final 4.0/5.0 rating:
- http://www.motoringfile.com/2007/09/...ion-long-term/

Old 10-18-2008, 05:13 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
I think it's great on the road! I'm glad I made the change.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:19 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
for my upcoming 09 MCSa I decided to forego the sports suspension, but opted for the 18.5 mm JCW rear sway bar to reduce cornering lean. It's a bargin at $248 installed, and actually cheaper than the OEM SS 16mm bar. Go figure.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:23 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
I had the "sport" suspension and didn't like it. It's a different car with the JCW suspension and there is VERY little sacrafice in ride quality.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary.....

Old 10-19-2008, 06:02 AM
OkieSnake
4th Gear
Thanks everyone for their input. It is helpful.
I don't know of anyone with an R56 that has the JCW suspension that I can ride in or drive to compare (I'm in SW Oklahoma). But I do know someone with an 06 JP Works. Anyone have an first hand experience how they compare?

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Derosi
3rd Gear
Buy it you wont regret the decision

Buy the JCW Suspension and throw on some Goodyear F1 GSD3 Tires and ditch the Run Flats.

This setup will ride smoother than the Standard Suspension with Runflats and the handling will be like night and day.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:38 AM
hopper
3rd Gear
Don't know about the goodyears, I'll have to consider them when the runcraps are more worn. What I can say is, torque steer is greatly lessened and the twitchiness when cornering hard is as well. All-in-all, the JCW suspension is what the "sport" suspension should be and ISN'T.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:44 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
I need to save some money up to buy this now......

Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi. I have a Factory built JCW, and the dealers said I have the JCW suspension. Doesn't that mean that my springs should be red?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:10 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by etalj
Hi. I have a Factory built JCW, and the dealers said I have the JCW suspension. Doesn't that mean that my springs should be red?
Any dealer that says that is wrong. None of factory built JCW models have come with the JCW suspension, except for the limited edition 2006 GP (1st Gen, only 2000 made world-wide... if you had one, you'd know it. )

The JCW suspension is and has always been a dealer-install only. Personally I think it was just plain silly that MINI didn't make it standard on all factory JCW models, but hey... I guess they wanted to throw dealers a bone for labor install charges!

And yes... all JCW suspensions have red springs.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:52 PM
minim8o
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Derosi
Buy the JCW Suspension and throw on some Goodyear F1 GSD3 Tires and ditch the Run Flats.
Eagle F1 GSD3s scare me after they're worn a bit. They break loose with too much violence & unpredictability. My friend on the west coast who was a die-hard fan of them and wouldn't hear critique, dropped his car into a ravine and totaled it on his favorite mountain pass he must have driven on a few thousand times (his test-bed for tuning his dual adjustable suspension that I run too). I've been through many sets, Pilots, Advans, GSD3s, So3s, Sport Maxx ... the tire I like the most is So3 but they're too heavy; next is the Dunlop Sport Maxx and is the one I'd buy again.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:29 PM
scott48
6th Gear
Yeah I haven't been too impressed with the Goodyear F1s...there's waaay too much sidewall deflection for me, which hurts handling and steering response.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Derosi
3rd Gear
The Response was regarding ride quality

I was responding to the member who originally has the concern with ride quality. Few could argue that the GS-D3 tires are very smooth and quite (Thus the slightly softer sidewall) and for this level of comfort there is no tire that performs better. I do agree for all out performance there are a handfull of street tires that will increase the limits more than the Goodyears.

I am not endorsing Goodyear but merely stating that my car rides smoother now with the JCW Suspension and Goodyears than with the standard suspension and Run Flats.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I have the JCW Suspension on my 2007 with 16" rims,and no complaints about the ride.My 05 has stock suspension with 17" rims and the ride is not as smooth.Q

Old 10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I love it!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
diablito
5th Gear
JCW suspension works great for a daily driver however does not come with springs, you have to order the springs separate depending on your MINI's weight.

And they run about 100 per corner.

Best JCW upgrade.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Augie05
4th Gear
Extremely happy with my JCW suspension. I think it rides better on the street than my old standard suspension. I drove the NC mtns roads over the weekend and it was freaking awesome.

I was a bit concerned that it would be a bit too rough for the roads but was willing to make the trade-off. But there is NO trade-off... it is great!

I have to say it is my #1 upgrade and agree that it should be a factory option AND it should come standard on the factory JCW car. They upgraded the JCW factory car engine and brakes but not the suspension.... dumb.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:06 PM
FugitiveAI
4th Gear
I just went from the factory sport suspension to JCW (full kit with springs) a few weeks ago and did my first autocross with the new setup this last weekend. I'm very happy with the JCW setup. It offers less NVH for daily driving than the sport suspension did and while it is stiff it is no less comfortable than stock to me and offers better control. On the track I immediately noticed it reduces understeer and torque steer and gives the car a certain nimbleness around the tight turns that is fantastic. It lowers the car very slightly but not enough to cause it to scrape or bottom out the suspension travel. Overall a great value for someone that doesn't want to spend a ton of money or want to have adjustability but get something that is made and tuned specifically for their car.

I do hope you can test ride in a car with it before committing since opinions are always personal and subjective.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FugitiveAI
I just went from the factory sport suspension to JCW (full kit with springs) a few weeks ago and did my first autocross with the new setup this last weekend. I'm very happy with the JCW setup. It offers less NVH for daily driving than the sport suspension did and while it is stiff it is no less comfortable than stock to me and offers better control. On the track I immediately noticed it reduces understeer and torque steer and gives the car a certain nimbleness around the tight turns that is fantastic. It lowers the car very slightly but not enough to cause it to scrape or bottom out the suspension travel. Overall a great value for someone that doesn't want to spend a ton of money or want to have adjustability but get something that is made and tuned specifically for their car.

I do hope you can test ride in a car with it before committing since opinions are always personal and subjective.
These are exactly my impressions as well.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
candyred
1st Gear
Not sure if you ever went for the JCW suspension, but I find that the pros of it outwiegh the cons. Just be mindful of the potholes/cracks on the road and you will be loving every corner you take.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:52 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by candyred
Not sure if you ever went for the JCW suspension, but I find that the pros of it outwiegh the cons. Just be mindful of the potholes/cracks on the road and you will be loving every corner you take.
Just have more fum with the mini twisties!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:26 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Originally Posted by candyred

+1 on this.

My MINI is my daily driver. I do spend time trying to avoid the pot holes. However, i have stock runflats and do NOT have the low profile tires.

I love my JCW suspension.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:16 PM
2009mini
1st Gear
There's some confusion at the dealer where I'm ordering my car. If I will have the JCW suspension installed, should I also order the sport suspension? They have quoted me a price with both.

Thanks,

Ken

Quick Reply: JCW How is the JCW suspension for an Everyday Driver?