JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Attention first gen JCW owners...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:05 PM
miniviper
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention first gen JCW owners...

I've got an 06 MCS non jcw that I just installed a 15% pulley on. I also have a CAI and cat-back exhaust. I always thought I had a strong motor but now this thing just rips! I also have factory LSD on it. If I'm going 15 mph and floor it, it spins the tires all the way through first gear and a good amount of second. From 70 to 110 it pulls so hard and fast, it seems like a totally different car. I've got 18" Hankook k106 tires on it so it should be getting good traction.My question is; do your jcw cars smoke the tires this easily? If so, how do these guys with even more power launch their cars other than maybe some serious backpedaling? One of my other cars is a Viper so I have experience with fast cars.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Z06C5R
4th Gear
Front. Wheel. Drive.

The simple physics of it is that when you apply power, weight transfers rearward. In FWD cars, this equates to a reduction in available grip, while in RWD it means grip increases. In a nutshell, this is why your Viper can have 2-3x more power and not vaporize the tires every time you touch the gas.

I can't compare to a JCW, but I will admit that the first time I drove a (100% bone stock) MCS, I was appalled at how easy it was to spin the tires compared to the RWD cars I'm used to driving. My LSD-equipped 944 weighs about the same as a MCS and puts out roughly the same HP, and I could honestly work up a sweat trying to get the tires to spin like that.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:36 PM
HighLife4136
5th Gear
I used to have Hankook k106 tires when I was running the stock pulley. I got rid of them after the pulley swap because they spun even more. Try something like a Falken rt615 and a good bit of that spin should go away.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Sounds like crap tires to me and a stock suspension.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:56 PM
goat
3rd Gear
OP - First, the k106 is not a particularly high performance tire, so that is part of the problem... they LOOK the part, but... (see post above mine to this effect).

Second, are you running JCW suspension or aftermarket firmer suspension? This would help reduce some of the rearward weight transfer during acceleration, which will give you more traction to launch up front. Glad you are enjoying the newfound power though!

Old 09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
I would simply put on a set of wheelie bars.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM
call it spade
5th Gear

Originally Posted by MiniKJ
I would simply put on a set of wheelie bars.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:50 AM
cabriopilot
6th Gear
Me likes the wheelie bar idea..
Now if I could only find a place to mount that darn drag chute..

Old 09-23-2008, 03:44 AM
miniviper
2nd Gear
Wheelie bars

I laughed my butt off this morning when I read this!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 PM
elevatus
1st Gear
My question to MiniViper is, have these changes made your car more fun or "not quite right"? I ask because I just bought an 06 and want to go even faster.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM
chad1140
3rd Gear
Mini w/ a 15% and tires and you consider it Fast come on? Especially with your other car alledgedly being a Viper. My last car was a 2000 Camaro SS with Nitrous and when I first drove a Mini it was fun but I still don't consider it fast, sorry I had to drink my hater ade this morning.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 AM
elevatus
1st Gear
No worries Chad1140.

I think you would agree that Mini Coopers are not really designed to be compared to V6/V8/V10/V12's or any derivative with nitrous. I come from a muscle car family and what Mini's are are fast urban cars with great handling that also minimize our environmental impact as well (because even when you drive it like you stole it, it still gets 25 City MPG).

I love V8's but Mini's are basically 85% of the fun of any big engine with 3 times the fuel efficiency + side perks, like finding parking spots anywhere "fast".

Last edited by elevatus; 10-25-2008 at 11:23 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old 10-25-2008, 01:57 PM
miniviper
2nd Gear
To Bad Chad 1140...

Drank my haterade this afternoon. One of my other cars is a Viper, not allegedly. I wasn't comparing the Mini's speed to that of the Viper, but my Mini will smoke my 740. All I was saying is that my mini is much faster now and has trouble getting traction all through first gear and part of second. The only reason I made reference to my Viper was to show that I am used to fast cars and how to launch them. So come on and learn how to read ,you bonehead, before you try to berate someone on a forum who is legitimate. Also my mods are CAI,pulley,unichip all installed by myself among others.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
post pics with you in front of all of them... why would you have those crappy tires if you really have that kind of money? or stock suspension... BTW why would you compare the mini to the 740? a 4000 pound boat with only 280hp?

Old 10-25-2008, 11:09 PM
melvyn
2nd Gear
zoinks!

just drive the damn thing and be happy you aren't in a cobalt.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by melvyn
zoinks!

The new cobalt SS is actually a very well sorted track car...

Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Given what you did, you should be experiencing what you are if you don't have LSD. If so, you are spinning your tire, not tires. With LSD you would have 50%(OEM) to 100% (Quaiffe) more traction while spinning the tires, and hence the spinning would stop sooner.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 AM
miniviper
2nd Gear
Reply to Ihoboy

I do have limited slip from the factory. I ordered the car with it brand new. I thought Hankook tires with traction grade A would grip fine, and they did until I added the mods recently. To Myke@RPI, you sound like a jealous little kid. As if I'm going to waste my time proving that I have a lot of cars to a derelict like yourself. You say I have crappy tires, but obviously you don't have a clue as to how much money it takes to maintain nine cars. Get a life!
All I was trying to do was ask a simple question when I started this thread. Thanks for all your kind help.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:24 AM
gnatster
6th Gear
A rating of A on a Hankook may not = the same A on say a BFG.

Each tire manufacturer has its own philosophy about UTQG ratings. Some view the rating as a huge marketing tool, while others tend to think of it as an implied warranty. Be cautious when you compare ratings - they may not be "apples to apples".

Also how old are the tires?

How many heat cycles?

Where do you live, being fall the roads may be cold and less grippy?

What type of road surface?

Those tire ratings...worth as much as the electrons used to type this message...

Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
Then why not sell one of your cars since you cant buy the proper tires and I am not a jealous kid... By the way you are talking you sound like a high-schooler who doesn't know what he is talking about... The M5 in my signiture will smoke any one of your cars... guarantee... if you are ever in the L.A. area, we can see what your "Viper" or whatever else you have can do... Maybe ill bring out one of the Shop cars...

Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
miniviper
2nd Gear
Reply to Gnatster

The tires are one year old with about 5,000 miles on them. I only run them from early spring to late fall. Surface is blacktop or concrete, and doesn't seem to make any difference. Also, it's been 70's to low 80's until the last month. All I can figure is maybe the rubber isn't as soft as some to get better wear rating. All in all, not a big deal and thanks for your considerate concern.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
Ill appologize to mini viper for coming off the way I did... As mini owners shouldnt act the way I am... sorry!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by melvyn
zoinks!

AMEN ! Sometimes I find half of my problems go away because I find gratitude for the blessings I get to enjoy already

As for the post right below this one,,
I drove a cobalt SS ... they're alot better than some other cheapies... but no way are they near as much fun as a mini!!!!! and they just feel, .... ew... I don't know how to put my finger on it... non-track car. hmmm but that's only MHO

Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
samroberto
3rd Gear
geez guys play nice we are mini-enthusiasts !

Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Myke@RPI
4th Gear
Originally Posted by samroberto
AMEN ! Sometimes I find half of my problems go away because I find gratitude for the blessings I get to enjoy already

As for the post right below this one,,
I drove a cobalt SS ... they're alot better than some other cheapies... but no way are they near as much fun as a mini!!!!! and they just feel, .... ew... I don't know how to put my finger on it... non-track car. hmmm but that's only MHO
You drove the new turbo model? The SC one was terrible... The new turbo one is very well sorted... It whooped on the lexus IS-F and a 135 and some other cars in Road and track or car and driver... forgot...

Quick Reply: Attention first gen JCW owners...