JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW ECU tune on R53

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Is anyone aware of an independent shop in the Pacific Northwest that can / will do this?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:42 AM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a new owner of an 04 JCW - dealer installed - Am I to understand that a competent MINI shop or dealer can make ECU mods? I've experienced this with motorcycles in the past where a guy with a dyno and after market software can remap the ECU and make the bikes run incredibly stronger and better. In the case of motorcycles in order to pass DOL noise and emissions rules they import them running extremely lean - the mods change this to where they should be.

Are we talking something similar here?

THanks - do bear with me - I am a newbie to this whole MINI world.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:46 AM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Is anyone aware of an independent shop in the Pacific Northwest that can / will do this?

Get hold of this guy - he's a motorcycle tuner and is incredible - he may know of someone that can help you - he did this on my KTM Supermoto and Superduke and got them both running like they should have from the factory

His name is Nels - I am a new MCS JCW owner -
19501 Woodinville Snohomish Road, Woodinville, WA, 98501 Phone: 425-269-5332 Email: 2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com

Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by ninja turtle
I am a new owner of an 04 JCW - dealer installed - Am I to understand that a competent MINI shop or dealer can make ECU mods? I've experienced this with motorcycles in the past where a guy with a dyno and after market software can remap the ECU and make the bikes run incredibly stronger and better. In the case of motorcycles in order to pass DOL noise and emissions rules they import them running extremely lean - the mods change this to where they should be.

Are we talking something similar here?

THanks - do bear with me - I am a newbie to this whole MINI world.
I've no recommendation in the Northwest, but here's a story for you.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 AM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cmt52663
I've no recommendation in the Northwest, but here's a story for you.

Cheers,

Charlie
Charlie - We have an excellent shop here that can do all the above you refer to. I've experienced what a proper tune to a vehicle can do and how great of a change can occur in not only torque and hp but in overall drivability.

My question though has to do with the fact that our local shop tells me that you need to purchase some kind of connector that will allow him to access the ecu to get the proper tune required. The cost of the connector (I may be using the incorrect actual terminology for the required "hardware") - the cost of which is close to a $1,000.00 - he says it made by some company and there is a specific access code for each vehicle thereby not allowing the hardware to be used by several vehicles.

His cost for the dyno and software changes is very competitive but the hardware piece seems pretty steep - I have no reason to challenge the shop owner as they have a great reputation and do wonderful work.

I/m just such a novice in MINI things that I feel the need to check this one out.
Any and all comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
MUCH has changed since this thread was started...
MANY dealers will now upload JCW software........So ask...
Sometimes there is ONE person in the service department who has the MINI computer system figured out.....so ask around...check with your local car club!!
I know up here in New England, JCW software was once rare on a non-JCW, now it is around in the wild...all one has to do is ask and if you have the right mods, it is even sometimes offered to improve drivability!!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:19 AM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
MUCH has changed since this thread was started...
MANY dealers will now upload JCW software........So ask...
Sometimes there is ONE person in the service department who has the MINI computer system figured out.....so ask around...check with your local car club!!
I know up here in New England, JCW software was once rare on a non-JCW, now it is around in the wild...all one has to do is ask and if you have the right mods, it is even sometimes offered to improve drivability!!
My car is a factory JCW. I Know from experience that the cars come
de tuned due to emissions and DOT noise restrictions. I merely want
a proper tune to unleash the added power I know is there and to make it
run better and stronger.

My question has to do with the need to purchase a very expensive piece of hardware to
enable a qualified tuner to access the MINI ecu so he can do a proper tune.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninja turtle
My car is a factory JCW. I Know from experience that the cars come
de tuned due to emissions and DOT noise restrictions. I merely want
a proper tune to unleash the added power I know is there and to make it
run better and stronger.

My question has to do with the need to purchase a very expensive piece of hardware to
enable a qualified tuner to access the MINI ecu so he can do a proper tune.
Depends....
If the tuner is a MINI tuner...they have the equipment to plug a laptop in (on a gen1) and do the tune on a dyno.....if you elect to do it remotely, then YES, a "tool" from 2 companies is NEEDED, about $300-350...Dimsport or a second..trying to think of the name.......
Both Waymotorworks and RMW/Jan use different "tools", so find the one YOUR tuner uses!!
There has been SOME progress in consumer grade self tuning..but I suggest you leave it up to a tuner on a MINI...the MOTORs and parts are WAY to $$ compared to some other makes....

Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
"qualified tuner" on a MINI is kinda the KEY word....
A person who does TUNES are not a QUALIFIED MINI TUNER.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://www.waymotorworks.com/bytetro...uning-kit.html
Beytronic, for "self tuning"
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-rem...ng-module.html
The remote tuning module for WMW
Everyone has waited along time for it, and here it is. The Remote tuning module from WMW. People always want one of our custom ECU tunes, but being far away from our shop it has always been hard to do. But now we have our remote my genius module.
How it works:
After you purchase the module and recieve it, you will plug it into your car and download your stock ECU file. Then using the cable provided you will upload it to your computer and email it to WMW. Once we receive it we will modify it and email it back. Then you tranfer it onto the module. Then just simply connect the module and load it onto your car.
If your wanting to go furthur than just an ECU flash, you can take your car to the dyno and send the dyno graphs and A/F graph to us, and we can then exchange several files while dynoing to gain you the most power and torque.
Maps we can adjust include Timing, fuel, injection, torque, throttle, rpm limiter, boost maps.
RMW tool is similar...but limited to r53's
http://www.revolutionmotorworks.com/...3&product_id=3
Flash tool for the R53 (Super Charged) Mini Cooper S.
$300.00Price:
$15.00P&P:

Last edited by ZippyNH; 04-19-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The deals with the tune "tools" is it CAN DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD THE ENCRYPTED FILE to the car....but the tuner must have the programs to open it, modify it, then RE-ENCRYPT it.
Bytronic does it all...but you still need to DO THE TUNE.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 AM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
http://www.waymotorworks.com/bytetro...uning-kit.html
Beytronic, for "self tuning"
http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-rem...ng-module.html
The remote tuning module for WMW

RMW tool is similar...but limited to r53's
http://www.revolutionmotorworks.com/...3&product_id=3
Beytronic is the product my dealer is using. He sells them direct to his customers for that price quoted on
the link provided.
The dyno runs are extra but nominal as well as his mapping expertise

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM
ninja turtle
2nd Gear
The deals with the tune "tools" is it CAN DOWNLOAD and UPLOAD THE ENCRYPTED FILE to the car....but the tuner must have the programs to open it, modify it, then RE-ENCRYPT it.
Bytronic does it all...but you still need to DO THE TUNE.
Precisely. In the end I will let the experts do it. It's cheaper!
Thanks for the info

Old 04-28-2013, 01:41 PM
RHcoopers
3rd Gear
Bout to change the thread direction here but...I have an 03' MCS and the only think done to the engine us the CAI by madness motorworks. It's my understanding that in order make an injector upgrade profitable , you need to also update the ECU or change it out. Or is upgrading those things pointless if I haven't fine any other work to my engine? I guess I'm just looking for afordable power upgrades.