JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW ECU tune on R53

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:03 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 PM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllBlack05S
I know the GP injectors are different from the JCW 210 kit injectors anyone know what size the 2 are?
The only difference under the bonnet between a R53 JCW and a GP JCW is the larger GP intercooler and a more aggressive map. Everything else is the same including injectors.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Luys
4th Gear
Originally Posted by D-MAN
The only difference under the bonnet between a R53 JCW and a GP JCW is the larger GP intercooler and a more aggressive map. Everything else is the same including injectors.
+1

Old 11-08-2008, 05:00 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by D-MAN
The JCW kit injectors are sold over the counter the GP injectors require a GP vin to even order them.

From the digging I have done I have come up with this

R53 is the baseline.
JCW 200hp kit gets: "better" supercharger ('05-'06 version with 11% pulley) ngk plugs, port and polish head, exhaust and a map.
JCW 210 kit adds injectors and an intake to the 200hp kit
JCW GP cars have a different set of injectors (by current part number)

Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Ok, have you guys ever heard of a mini dealership saying they can't do the JCW flash on an MCS? Dr. Phil where did you get yours done?

Here is the email I got back from the dealership today....

"I apologize about the delayed response in regards to your request for a quote on flashing your DME with the JCW programming. Unfortunately the programming is only available and reccomended to use if you replace all parts listed under the John Cooper Works kit (Cylinder head, Injectors, Exhaust, Super charger, Intake, Spark plugs, etc.)

The reason i mention that is i've personally heard of aftermarket parts being installed following the criiterias above and heard of cases where the vehicle would have major drivability issues."

And what is a DME?

I am so confused now? When I called him he said something about "bolt on website" and that my car wouldnt run correctly. He told me he would get back to me tomorrow after researching this more. I said I was willing to risk it and laughed.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
Well... I own an '03 non-JCW MCS and had my ECU fail recently. My mechanic mentioned I could opt for either the OEM ECU that came with my car or get the JCW ECU for the same money, so you can imagine which route I went. The mods I have right now are the popular bolt-on items, so I don't have the 380cc injectors or the JCW cylinder head.

As far as the way my MCS is driving now, I had an MTH tune prior to my ECU failing, so I really don't notice any difference in the power department. The one thing I do miss, though, is the change done by MTH to the DSC... it's quite a marked improvement if you ask me.

GotMINI

P.S. - To answer your question, DME = Digital Motor Electronics... it's synonymous with ECU.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:26 PM
bggale
1st Gear
JCW ECU Flash

My Mini dealer wouldn't sell me the jcw ecu flash, either, and he said he'd never heard of any dealer doing so (to a non jcw mini). I've got a 2006 S R52. Guess I'll be installing my Unichip Q right after my next service (in 500 miles).

Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
I just thought I had read that this was a possibility so i bought the 380cc injectors.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM
AllBlack05S
4th Gear
It CAN be done whether or not you can find a dealer willing to do it is another story.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:48 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
I do understand their position, and told them I would not come back later and say they broke my car. I just hope when he calls me in the morning they say they can do it!

If not Ill call the Houston mini center

Old 11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
mdbsat
5th Gear
Well they just said they will NOT do it.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Miniquestions
1st Gear
Im Looking for a used Unichip or better mapping If anyone has one....My 02 MCS has the WORKS Longblock 17% reduction pulley 415cc injectors 13lb flywheel Typhoon Cold Air intake and Megaflow exhaust...Can you help me

Noah

I need more power

Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Back from the dead. I went to the dealer today and they said they would not have an issue placing the JCW tune into my car.

After 2 hours I get get no JCW tune and told that my car would not allow it as the option in not listed when they pull up my ECU.

The dealer oddly gave my a sheet of info they were using as instructions and the only Mini referenced was an R56?!

Does it sound like they just have no idea on how to do this?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:52 PM
bggale
1st Gear
I Think I Got One

Here's something odd. I recently had routine service done on my 2006 R52 (supposedly oil and filter, air filter and cabin filter, minus the air filter since I have a Dinan CAE) by the same dealer that told me several years ago he couldn't give me the jcw tune, and when I get the car back, it runs waaay better than before, like they gave me the jcw tune without my asking. Now before you say it just had slowed imperceptively over the years, and they simply restored the original state of tune - this car has only 39,000 miles on it, and it still ran like when I got it before the service, which is to say, well! But now, it feels noticeably faster than before. All the invoice said was oil, filter and cabin filter. Not even new spark plugs! Go figure! Oh yeah - since the free service just ran out 6 months ago, I've been getting this car dealer serviced every time the service counter went to zero, and I put a bottle of Techron through it and clean/re-oil my air filter every 6 months or so.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 AM
Professor
5th Gear
Im going to doubt they just tossed it on there for the hell of it.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 AM
worksdriver
2nd Gear
This sounds like a case of protectionism. In the same way that MINI will only sell GP parts to GP owners they are probably discouraging dealers from selling the JCW ECU map to those who haven't purchased the JCW kit. Having said that, I met someone a couple of years ago who owned a JCW and managed to get his dealer to updrade his ECU to the GP map.

So I guess it all depends on who you are dealing with as to whether you can get these things done, but it sounds like most dealers are likely to say

Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Resurrecting this one! Its a Zombie run!

Anyway i took the plunge and had the 380cc injectors, GP I/C and 210 reflash installed!

Im loving it!! "No i don't eat McDonald's"

Car feels totally diffrent.
-Runs smoother.
-Idels smoother, Red light stumble is gone.
-Sounds diffrent, Burbls and pops!
-Pulls Harder,better,faster,stronger.

Ive read threads in the past where people claimed they lost power, THERES NO F#@%'N WAY THIS IS TRUE!!! If it is how is this possible???
The only explination i could think of would be getting the flash without the injectors or with out a pulley?

All i can say its far, far, far from any lose of power,all I feel is a pure gain in performance.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Mtnmotor
2nd Gear
What dealer did your flash?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM
6.7L
Neutral
i have sorced a few ecm's from jcw cars would they be plug and play? i can pick them up for about $100 and the ride

Old 09-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Not plug and play. But I bet Way from Way Motor Works might have a way to make it work. Id ask him.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Just start calling dealerships around you, but you will need to have the
JCW injectors and a 15% pulley for this to work other wise your risking the motor.

You could prob have WAY flash the JCW map on it for you.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Professor
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DJDUPONT
Just start calling dealerships around you, but you will need to have the
JCW injectors and a 15% pulley for this to work other wise your risking the motor.

You could prob have WAY flash the JCW map on it for you.
Some dealers will do the flash if they know how. Sadly unless a tech or foreman had been around for a bit most of them have no clue how with the newer programming stations.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 PM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
So you can take an R53, and do a JCW tune??

There are 2 options; 200 or 210?

For the 200, can you do it on a stock pulley (06 MCS)? Or do I really HAVE TO have a 15% and 380cc? I bought a GP I/C, so I have that and Alta CAI now.

I'll have to make some phone calls...

Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 AM
mikentosh
1st Gear
Bringing this thread back from the dead again....

I've been working with my dealer to get a JCW flash on the car. This is to tide me over until I do a head and cam, at which point I will visit RMW.

The dealer has come across the same issue I found while researching: The BMW servers now require a JCW VIN # to download the tune. Seems this is a change they made within the last couple of years. It does appear that they can still flash it using one of the CDs that came with the original kits.

So the question is does anybody have the original CD from the JCW 210 kit that they would like to sell me?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
It's actually a program that they can load on their laptop. I had mine done by an independent shop here in AZ. He didn't use a CD for it.

Quick Reply: JCW ECU tune on R53