JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW suspension installed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:39 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
JCW suspension installed!

OK. I got the JCW suspension installed today + H&R 19mm rear bar. First the good news, then the bad.

Good News:

I had the install completed at Grassroots Garage in Thomasville, NC. Dan was very professional and personable and had a wealth of knowledge about MINI's. The installation went smoothly, with nary a hiccup. I can easily recommend Grassroots Garage and it was very reasonably priced as well, far lower than what the dealer had quoted me.

Bad News:

I forgot to take my camera; and as soon as I left for my 4 hour drive home, I ran into rain, sleet and snow, and then more rain for the entire drive home (in the dark no less). So I really didn't get a chance to try out my new suspension.

Observations:

Contrary to some posts, I did not note an increase in the ride comfort over the MCS Sport Suspension, but perhaps that occurs after the suspension is properly broken in. If anything, the ride seems tighter, which makes sense since the springs are stiffer. Also, it was difficult to notice much ride height drop immediately after the install. Again, this may just be a function of waiting for the suspension to settle a bit after the install. It doesn't drop to much below stock anyway, approx. 10mm.

I'll update this post after I get a chance to give it a good challenge!

Last edited by davisflyer; 02-19-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 02-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it'll take some time for the springs to settle before you'll notice a drop in the ride height. Congrats. on the install and hopefully you'll get a chance to try it out without the bad weather.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Well I had a chance today to take the car over to a small twisty road and here are a couple of observations. First, the car seems to have even less body roll and better control. With the addition of the rear anti-sway bar, I'm able to rotate the car around turns with the throttle and lost most of the understeer. In fact, going through one particularly tight s-turn I was able to get the rear out a bit and drift through the turn at a much higher speed than before.

It'll be fun exploring the limits of this suspension on a track sometime. For those that aren't sure as to whether to take the plunge, I will say that the difference in between suspensions is not night and day. The regular sport suspension is pretty well sorted, as we all know. But based on my limited exposure today, the JCW seems to raise the limits a bit and add a bit more control.

I'll post again after to i get more opportunities to test this thing out!

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the update. Right now I'm on stock shocks with my lowering springs, and they aren't a good match.
It sounds like the JCW kit would be a good set up for me since I don't care for coilovers. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the kit? I'm on a budget, but if the kit doesn't cost too much I'd definitely buy it. I can do my own suspension work, so that part of the cost is out. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Maxicooper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on your new suspension set up.

I'd like to add that the suspension help for a much better control at high speed as well.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Thanks for the updates so far...please keep them coming. I just realized that to see the ride height of the JCW suspension is to look at any Mini GP pic as that is the same setup. Amazing the GP doesn't come with an upgraded rear anti-sway bar from the stock 16mm.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:57 AM
heyduard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliWORKs
Amazing the GP doesn't come with an upgraded rear anti-sway bar from the stock 16mm.
heh. don't forget, the general public is able to purchase a GP as well. And unfortunately, a car control clinic or HPDE session is not part of the package.

More negative camber up front would be beneficial as well. At stock camber, I do notice heavy wear on the shoulders of the front tires. The rear bar does not address this.

Also interesting to hear the ride is not better, but we are not buying buicks are we?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Finally got a chance to really wring out the new suspension on a very long and tight, twisty road. I must say, I am very impressed. This setup is the closest feel to a really well sorted out rear-drive car that I have ever experienced in a front wheel drive car. Usually with front wheel drive cars you feel like the front is doing all the work and the rear is just along for the ride. And while that's not necessarily the case with the stock suspension, with this setup, you can FEEL the back digging in and helping! It's really confident inspiring. In fact after returning from a round trip down this particular road, the word that came to mind after driving was "invigorating"! I was able to navigate the road at a faster clip than usual without feeling uncomfortable. The car seemed to have more bite. Going over hills, the suspension remained tight, hugging the ground and not having any wallow. Now, I'm sure there may be better suspension setups out there, but for my skill level, this is more than enough to keep me satisfied!

Last edited by davisflyer; 02-19-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Thanks again for the Morristown tip davisflyer.
I got the JCW suspension and steering wheel. Just installed them yesterday and can't wait for the weather to clear up for a full shakedown. When your springs finally settle, what alignment specs are you planning to go with?

Old 02-28-2008, 08:37 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
When your springs finally settle, what alignment specs are you planning to go with?
My mechanic (Grassroots, Mini Certified tech) told me to go with the factory S specs. Have you heard anything different?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:43 PM
ChiliWORKs
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
My mechanic (Grassroots, Mini Certified tech) told me to go with the factory S specs. Have you heard anything different?
I was thinking maybe you heard something different.

You're right, I checked with my MINI SA and he said factory S alignment specs is the way to go.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Cool! BTW, the more I get a chance to drive this setup, the more impressed I am. I have not been able to unglue this setup yet, it justs sticks to the road no matter how hard I dare to push! With the stock suspension, I was able to reach the limits much easier. I'm sure the 19mm rear bar helps a lot with that as well, and also the suspension seems to be getting a bit more compliant.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Luys
4th Gear
Can you post pictures for the car ? also showing the suspension

Old 03-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Amazing the GP doesn't come with an upgraded rear anti-sway bar from the stock 16mm.
Actually, all R53s (including the GP) came with a 17mm sway bar, not 16mm.

With the R56, the standard suspension rear sway bar is also 17mm and the R56 sport suspension rear sway bar is 18mm..

Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It depends on what your trying to do with the car...and if it's easy to get the alignment changed if your driving needs change....Like a HPDE. All Cooper and "S" specs are the same. I like my car a little "twitchy", but I am the only one who drives my car, so I go with a little toe out on the fronts and zeroed on the back. So it really depends on your preference and driving style.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Luys
4th Gear
OK. I got the JCW suspension installed today + H&R 19mm rear bar. First the good news, then the bad.

Good News:

I had the install completed at Grassroots Garage in Thomasville, NC. Dan was very professional and personable and had a wealth of knowledge about MINI's. The installation went smoothly, with nary a hiccup. I can easily recommend Grassroots Garage and it was very reasonably priced as well, far lower than what the dealer had quoted me.

Bad News:

I forgot to take my camera; and as soon as I left for my 4 hour drive home, I ran into rain, sleet and snow, and then more rain for the entire drive home (in the dark no less). So I really didn't get a chance to try out my new suspension.

Observations:

Contrary to some posts, I did not note an increase in the ride comfort over the MCS Sport Suspension, but perhaps that occurs after the suspension is properly broken in. If anything, the ride seems tighter, which makes sense since the springs are stiffer. Also, it was difficult to notice much ride height drop immediately after the install. Again, this may just be a function of waiting for the suspension to settle a bit after the install. It doesn't drop to much below stock anyway, approx. 10mm.

I'll update this post after I get a chance to give it a good challenge!
Is the suspension harder than the stock suspension on the road ?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Luys
Is the suspension harder than the stock suspension on the road ?
I've installed two JCW kits on friends' cars. Both have said there is an improvement in ride over the stock suspension.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Luys
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IanF
I've installed two JCW kits on friends' cars. Both have said there is an improvement in ride over the stock suspension.
I know that but i am asking is it hard on the road for example when you go on the bump do you feel the car harder ?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
IanF
6th Gear
I know that but i am asking is it hard on the road for example when you go on the bump do you feel the car harder ?
I'm not sure what you mean...

By most accounts, the JCW suspension rides better than stock. You'll still feel the bumps (with such a short wheelbase, a MINI can never really feel "smooth"), but they're not as harsh.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Luys
4th Gear
I understand you. JCW Suspension only spring or spring with coilover ?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
My impression as a passenger in the last IanF install is that the ride is smoother with the JCW suspension. This MINI did not have run flats. Yes it is springs and struts that are changed. IanF did a great job! IanF, if you want, you have my permission to post the picture link I sent Robyn.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Thanks! I will if she ever sends the link to me...

Old 03-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Speedwing
4th Gear
Ian ..... Here it is!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0QbsmThs1cMXSQ

Here are a few pics of IanF's latest install.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Can you post pictures for the car ? also showing the suspension
Here you go:

BTW, initially, after the install, the car rode much rougher than the stock suspension. Now, after over 1000 miles, the car rides much better than stock.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:05 PM
blackslvr
1st Gear
^did you happen to know what are the specs of the JCW springs? kg/mm?

Quick Reply: JCW suspension installed!