JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW "Howard" Gets a better reason shift gears!(JCW Shift Light)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:45 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Howard" Gets a better reason shift gears!(JCW Shift Light)

“Howard” Gets an even better reason to shift gears!

Hello folks,

Welcome to another installment of mods on “Howard” my 07 MCS! In this installment we will be installing a JCW Shift Indicator System for your R56.

This is an easy a straightforward installation, but you need to be careful on some key areas. One is that you will be working with the vehicle electrical system, and making an error here could prove disastrous. Be sure you are doing this correctly before splicing into the wiring. And be SURE the battery is disconnected.

Step One: Disconnect the Battery (Lift the hood to do this. It is located under the windscreen on right side of the car.)

Step Two: Remove the three torx head screws that secure the knee brace/trim piece to the dashboard. Then pull forward on each side to release the securing clips.
Step Three: Remove the upper portion of the column. This is held by four locking tabs. They are not easy to illustrate here but look at the JCW piece to see where they are. Gently pry the two halves of the column apart.

Step Four: Install the JCW upper column Shift Indicator combo. Before snapping the top piece in place, be sure to “program” the control box. I have a photo below that shows the dip switch settings for the 4 cyl, 6500 shift point.

Step Five: Route the wire down the driver side of the column and underneath the dash. Then snap the top combo into place.

Step Six: Wiring. Use the two photos above to help remove the OBD2 data connector and install the wiring. PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT use the supplied taps from the JCW kit. They are crap. I used instead a wire tap and male connector combo. (If you order this part from me and remind me when we are on the phone I will throw them in no charge. Otherwise your local hardware / auto parts store will have them) They clean up the wiring, simplify the install and are a more secure connection. Use the wire codes (in the JCW instructions), NOT, NOT NOT the pin positions. I have found the pinouts for the cars vary but the wire codes do match. This is easy to do. Simply snap each one one to the proper wires, then connect the wires from the control unit to the male connectors and then plug each one in. If you ever move cars, sell this one, lease trade etc. you can take out the lamp in 5 minutes no scars etc.

Step Seven: Using the cable ties in the kit, secure the control box to the knee panel then re-install the items removed.

Then simply re-install the panels removed prior, re-connect the battery and enjoy. There is no maintenance or adjustment with this kit. this kit works on ALL MCS models but the included instructions are specific to the R56. The leads are basic, power, ground and tach signal. The dip switches can be adjusted for 4/6/8 cyl and shift points from 4500-7500 RPM.

I really like mine. It makes it easier in the twisties to jam to my tunes, and never miss a shift. Good stuff!

I will try to keep these in stock for everyone as the dealers can’t seem to do so. Call me or e-mail with any questions or concerns!

Let me know if I can help in anyway!

You can find this on our website here: JCW SHIFT LAMP

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ADAMSALTAMINIJCWSHIFT.PDF (2.24 MB, 1065 views)
Old 10-02-2007, 07:47 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Bump! Now available for the R53 as well!

Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
R56-S
2nd Gear
sorry to be.....

Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Bump! Now available for the R53 as well!

sorry to be so NIAVE,,,,,,,,,,,what exactly does the "bump" mean

Carl

Old 10-02-2007, 08:03 PM
old81
M6
Originally Posted by R56-S
sorry to be so NIAVE,,,,,,,,,,,what exactly does the "bump" mean

Carl
Carl, it gives the thread a kick so it appears active and not lost in the new posts list. This reply to you acts as a bump. Adam has some great products over at Alta, give them some support since the are an active NAM vendor. Lots of other good vendors online too.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:57 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks Don! I really appreciate the compliment!

I bumped it due to the new R53 compatibility but also I noticed it slipped a bit.

Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM
R56-S
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by old81
Carl, it gives the thread a kick so it appears active and not lost in the new posts list. This reply to you acts as a bump. Adam has some great products over at Alta, give them some support since the are an active NAM vendor. Lots of other good vendors online too.

So this "reply" also acts as a "Bump".....LOL

Thanks, Carl

Old 10-07-2007, 07:46 PM
junior1459
3rd Gear
Bumpity Bumpity Bump!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:48 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks!

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
ken o
2nd Gear
What color is the wire can I pick up the tach signal on the R56?

Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
The R56 uses CAN BUS and thus your input trigger may NOT work properly. If you download the instructions of our website it lists the colors. What are you trying to connect to the TACH lead?

Old 10-29-2007, 12:54 PM
ken o
2nd Gear
Shift light. It has power, ground, and a tach signal.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
ok if it isn't the OEM/JCW lamp, I am going to doubt that it will work. The CAN bus protocol uses multiple voltages, and pulses within one wire for different function. You can certainly try it, but let us know how it works out.

Thanks again for asking!

Old 12-29-2007, 05:42 PM
prb44t
3rd Gear
need some help with this install... I followed Adam's instructions but I need more info on where to mount the control box. It doesn't fit in the recess in the dash, and no matter where I seem to put it I can't get the knee trim piece mounted. Any suggestions or better pics?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:09 PM
robrob
2nd Gear
I went to your web site, clicked on the link in the "Instructions" section and it linked me back to this post. I also downloaded your pdf file and no mention of wire colors. What are the wire colors codes?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:22 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
in the JCS directions its
brown to brown/black
white to violet/white
green to green/blue

Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by prb44t
need some help with this install... I followed Adam's instructions but I need more info on where to mount the control box. It doesn't fit in the recess in the dash, and no matter where I seem to put it I can't get the knee trim piece mounted. Any suggestions or better pics?
On my car, it fit on the pass side of the column in a recess. Then use the ridiculously long wire ties to secure it. Sorry you are having problems! Keep me posted!

Adam

Old 01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prb44t
I know it's and R56, but on my R53 i got it close enough I just tossed the box in the OBDII harness and it hasn't moved.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:48 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Motor On
I know it's and R56, but on my R53 i got it close enough I just tossed the box in the OBDII harness and it hasn't moved.
Good point! I have this item in my 06 GP as well! Was equally easy to find a holster for the box.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:16 PM
rain_runner
Neutral
Adjusting JCW Shift Lights

Just picked up my Clubman S (sweeeeeet by the way) with JCW shift lights installed. Dealer set to 4000 rpm for break-in period. How easy is it to adjust to recommended redline? Do I need specific instructions for the dip switches or are they labeled for idiots like me?

Cheers,

rain_runner

08 Clubman S

Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by rain_runner
Just picked up my Clubman S (sweeeeeet by the way) with JCW shift lights installed. Dealer set to 4000 rpm for break-in period. How easy is it to adjust to recommended redline? Do I need specific instructions for the dip switches or are they labeled for idiots like me?

Cheers,

rain_runner

08 Clubman S
Just saw this post. Did the information I E-mailled/PM'd you work out? Let me know!

Old 04-19-2008, 07:50 AM
netsatwork
1st Gear
any tips on getting the two column halves apart? the back right one will not release for me. How did you do it without removing the tach?

Last edited by netsatwork; 04-19-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
netsatwork
1st Gear
ok...i figured it out. It seems obvious now, but it wasn't at first. Be sure to lower the steering wheel and telescope it all the way out first.

Old 04-19-2008, 01:12 PM
netsatwork
1st Gear
this shift light has not been an easy install for me... anybody have trouble getting the new column piece to snap back in place? Only two of the clips are catching now. I wish MINI would not use plastic snaps so heavily in their cars. I know it's cheaper than screws, but once the car is together it's hard to take stuff apart and get it back the way it was.

Last edited by netsatwork; 04-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by netsatwork
any tips on getting the two column halves apart? the back right one will not release for me. How did you do it without removing the tach?
The tabs can be kind of a bear in some cases. Just when you think it will break, it actually un-snaps. You could also try a little heat on it (hair dryer) that can sometimes help as well.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by netsatwork
ok...i figured it out. It seems obvious now, but it wasn't at first. Be sure to lower the steering wheel and telescope it all the way out first.
GOOD point!

Quick Reply: JCW "Howard" Gets a better reason shift gears!(JCW Shift Light)