Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior JCW Dash in Lapis Blue - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW Dash in Lapis Blue - Pics

Hey everyone - it finally arrived (8 weeks after I placed the order), and it was installed last week. I took these pics over the weekend. Some of them are a bit blurry, and I didn't realize my car was so dirty until after I looked at the pics. I'll probably clean up and reshoot them sometime soon, but here's a preview (note - camera is just my Canon PowerShot S400 point-and-shoot, and I'm no photographer).

I tried to take the same angles that Gabe used in his original MotoringFile story on the JCW Leather Dash). Slightly larger (800x600) versions of the pics are in my NAM gallery. Obviously, Lapis Blue is a very dark blue, so the effect is not as striking as the red stitching, for example... but I think it blends in VERY well with my all-blue interior.

The last one is of the JCW Leather trim rings (double cupholder and lever gaiter ring), but they don't have any stitching.

Last edited by Edge; 12-05-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
boxerboy43
1st Gear
wow, thats lookin pretty sweet! so how much did that run ya, if ya dont mind me asking?

Old 12-06-2006, 12:01 AM
DjR53
4th Gear
o man that is sexy looking :P

Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 AM
cube17576
Coordinator :: STLMini
Very nice. I have the downtubes with blue stitching and the Hyper Blue dash with my Lapis Blue interior. It completly changes the look of the car.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:50 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Looks good!

btw, you need gas

Old 12-06-2006, 05:51 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
If I still had my lapis blue leather ('02 mcs that I sold) I would seriously be looking at that now. Nice to see another color installed.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:12 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by boxerboy43
wow, thats lookin pretty sweet! so how much did that run ya, if ya dont mind me asking?
Hmm... let's see:

Approximate conversion rate: £1 = US$1.923

JCW leather dash - £50 (US$96.15) deposit + £243.62 (US$468.48) balance on shipment = £293.62 (US$564.63) total
JCW leather downtubes - £30 (US$57.69) deposit + £84.89 (US$163.24) balance on shipment = £114.89 (US$220.93) total
JCW leather front cupholder ring - £34 (US$65.38)
JCW leather gear gaiter ring - £38.25 (US$73.55)

"Heavy postage" option for USA (required for JCW dash) - £27.00 (US$51.92)

GRAND TOTAL - £507.76 (US$976.42)

Although I also got a 5% MotoringFile discount, so it was actually £482.37 (US$927.60).

Obviously, this does not include the cost of installing it, which is either a few hours labor at your dealership, or DIY, if you're so inclined.

They say it takes 6 weeks from the date of order, it actually took 8 for me, but well worth the wait!

NOTE: There is also a JCW leather rear cupholder trim ring available, matching the front cupholder & lever gear gaiter ring. It's £25 (US$48.08). I would have gotten it too, but since I have the OEM armrest (for the Bluetooth package), I have a different (smaller) cupholder, and that ring wouldn't fit.
Originally Posted by DjWRE
o man that is sexy looking :P
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Looks good!
Thank you!
Originally Posted by cube17576
Very nice. I have the downtubes with blue stitching and the Hyper Blue dash with my Lapis Blue interior. It completly changes the look of the car.
I'd love to see pics of that combo... I thought about it but decided I really wanted the "whole shebang". Now I'm thinking of getting my silver trim pieces painted in Hyper Blue instead.
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
btw, you need gas
LOL - that always seems to be the case with my leadfoot.

Last edited by Edge; 12-06-2006 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:44 AM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
:choke:

I was obsessing over the red stitched one with downtubes to replace the anthracite dash on mine (with getting the piping died red to match on the EPL seats). $720/shipped from Morristown. I still want to do it, but damn! is that alot of money for such a silly mod. it looks friggin great Haemish!

Old 12-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
I was obsessing over the red stitched one with downtubes to replace the anthracite dash on mine (with getting the piping died red to match on the EPL seats). $720/shipped from Morristown.
$720 for both the dash and downtubes in any color other than black is a VERY good deal!

Don't forget the trim rings... unless you want to keep your existing silver/anthracite/chrome rings.
I still want to do it, but damn! is that alot of money for such a silly mod.
Yeah, I know. This purchase is probably my last "big" one for the MINI for a while now. My credit card is hurting. I think what made me jump was the 5% MF discount. 5% isn't much, but with a large purchase, it still counts!
it looks friggin great Haemish!
Thanks!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:07 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Very, very cool. How do you like your OEM gauge pod under there by the cup-holders? I'mk thinking of getting it and putting other gauges in.

mb

Old 12-06-2006, 08:16 AM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Edge
$720 for both the dash and downtubes in any color other than black is a VERY good deal!

Don't forget the trim rings... unless you want to keep your existing silver/anthracite/chrome rings. Yeah, I know. This purchase is probably my last "big" one for the MINI for a while now. My credit card is hurting. I think what made me jump was the 5% MF discount. 5% isn't much, but with a large purchase, it still counts!Thanks!
I'd just keep the anthracite rings....nobody but me would notice leather down there anyways as for the CC purchases, I hearya. I've sworn off mods until the car is paid off (only a few months away!), though I just got a pulley done yesterday and have a used Alta TMIC on the way (couldn't say no at $250 ). Little mods don't count, right?

ONe Q for you....how does the leather color match the seats? That's my one concern for my car....the EPL is more greyish than black and the JCW leather dash looks darker.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by mbcoops
Very, very cool. How do you like your OEM gauge pod under there by the cup-holders? I'mk thinking of getting it and putting other gauges in.
I like it a lot! I bought this as a necessity (in my book), because it was the only way to get some kind of temperature gauge... when you opt for the factory Nav, you don't get one! Even though it's an oil temp and not a water temp, I am happy... I use it to signify when it's OK to romp on the gas pedal. The only downsides are that you lose some storage space there, and it's more work to dismantle and reassemble your center console. Since I'm skittish about that sort of thing, that just means a bit more paid labor for my tech (I always have the same tech work on my car).
Little mods don't count, right?
Heh... only if you want them to.
ONe Q for you....how does the leather color match the seats? That's my one concern for my car....the EPL is more greyish than black and the JCW leather dash looks darker.
If you look at the wide-angle shot I took from the back seat, you'll see that the black leather in the seats suits the dash quite well. I'm happy with the look, anyway!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:21 AM
cube17576
Old 12-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Cool - looks great! The improvement of removing the silver downtubes is tremendous... that's what has me thinking about painting the other silver trim pieces HB...

Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM
gt6
5th Gear
Here are some pics of my combo with the HB dash.
I like that look. I have the HB dash as well and have been wanting to replace the silver downtubes. I was thinking of getting some anthracite ones, but now am more inclined to go with the leather.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:45 PM
cube17576
I have almost gotten rid of all the silver plastic pieces in the car. I have just found the 3 inserts for the strreing wheel in Lapis Blue leather that I want to get. But that still leaves the ring around the airbag. I am trying to figure out a way to paint that Hyper Blue.

Then I want to get rid of the silver structures in the door pockets. I either want to get anthricite pieces, of find a way to custom cover them in Blue leather.

It never ends. I am always finding something else I want for the car. And now that I have 2 of them, it has only doubled.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
I have almost gotten rid of all the silver plastic pieces in the car. I have just found the 3 inserts for the strreing wheel in Lapis Blue leather that I want to get. But that still leaves the ring around the airbag. I am trying to figure out a way to paint that Hyper Blue.
Just curious... where are you getting the LB SW inserts? Are they the ones from MyMini, listed in the Interior section of the 2006 MotoringFile Gift Guide?

(Direct link to the MyMini page on them here, pics are black leather but apparently available in any leather color)

At $100 it's quite expensive, but I've been thinking about it... I'm hesitant to order them (in Lapis Blue) without seeing if they are a good color match though. Bonus: you can keep your MSFW buttons!

Old 12-06-2006, 05:59 PM
FL_blue_MINI
4th Gear
Looks Awsome!!!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 AM
cube17576
Originally Posted by Edge
Just curious... where are you getting the LB SW inserts? Are they the ones from MyMini, listed in the Interior section of the 2006 MotoringFile Gift Guide?

(Direct link to the MyMini page on them here, pics are black leather but apparently available in any leather color)

At $100 it's quite expensive, but I've been thinking about it... I'm hesitant to order them (in Lapis Blue) without seeing if they are a good color match though. Bonus: you can keep your MSFW buttons!
Yep. Those are the ones. A bit pricey, but so is everything else. I just try not to look at the credit card bill when it comes.

I am trying to be strong and never look at the leather door inserts again. They look so cool, but at $1200 , I have to control myself.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
cube... if you don't mind me asking, how much were the leather downtubes? I am thinking of going that route, but not sure if I'm going to cover them myself (maybe with a darker blue stitching if I do that).

I have a HB dash and grey/black leatherette... soon to have a grey wheelskin on there too.

as for the steering wheel... check with skitelluride. he just had his done by a place called 'lambspeed' in NJ and it looks niiiice.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:26 AM
cube17576
I got mine from newministuff.com and paid about $230 after shipping and currency conversion.

Thanks for the tip. That is exactly what I want to do for my wheel (except blue)

Old 12-07-2006, 08:52 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
cube... if you don't mind me asking, how much were the leather downtubes? I am thinking of going that route, but not sure if I'm going to cover them myself (maybe with a darker blue stitching if I do that).
theroyalwe - my post #7 already listed pricing:

JCW leather downtubes - £30 (US$57.69) deposit + £84.89 (US$163.24) balance on shipment = £114.89 (US$220.93) total

Also, if you are only ordering downtubes, you can get the regular shipping option (instead of "heavy parcel"):

"Airmail" option for USA - £15.00 (US$28.85)

So the total would come to £129.89 (US$249.78). If the MF 5% discount is still available, it would be £123.40 (US$237.30).

Obviously, currency conversion prices are approximate, and I also presumed that the MF 5% discount applied to shipping too (which it might not).

Old 12-07-2006, 11:27 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
Thanks Edge... for some reason I thought he got it locally for just the downtubes. I was also looking at mymini who's website says they can do different colors and stuff for around $160 (without a core). The different colors may cost more so I'll have to check on that... but it's hard to say. I really need to spend some time and figure out the direction I want to go before I get the price though

Old 12-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Yep. Those are the ones. A bit pricey, but so is everything else. I just try not to look at the credit card bill when it comes.
Awesome - you got them in Lapis Blue, I gather... with MSFW functionality? I definitely want to see pics when they arrive... I want to know if they are a good match!
I am trying to be strong and never look at the leather door inserts again. They look so cool, but at $1200 , I have to control myself.
LOL yeah - I agree that they look great too, but for now I'm going to worry about blue accents, as opposed to entire surfaces in blue!
Originally Posted by theroyalwe
Thanks Edge... for some reason I thought he got it locally for just the downtubes. I was also looking at mymini who's website says they can do different colors and stuff for around $160 (without a core). The different colors may cost more so I'll have to check on that... but it's hard to say. I really need to spend some time and figure out the direction I want to go before I get the price though
MyMini doesn't sell the OEM ones, they are selling their own creation. I'm not panning them, I'm just clarifying.

You can get the JCW downtubes (just like the JCW dash) locally in the USA... but only in black stitching and red stitching. It was MINIUSAs decision to only offer those two stitching choices. Another wonderful "let's limit the choices for the USA market" decision courtesy of MINIUSA. Stupid.

Other colors are only available from overseas - and they are still official parts, not a 3rd party job.

Last edited by Edge; 12-07-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 AM
rivet
3rd Gear
Looks great and really ties the interior together nicely.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior JCW Dash in Lapis Blue - Pics