Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior After market skid plate, necessary????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Katiedidmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious if it's something I really need. Anytime I mention the idea of a plastic bag being sucked into my car and catching on fire, people look at me like I'm insane. How many of you out there, have one or feel it's a necessity?

P.S. I'm in NYC, pot-hole and litter capitol of america

Old 03-26-2003, 01:06 PM
8ball
6th Gear
.... there are a couple of threads on this .... and a 'How-To' ...

I think in the City, it is a must.... actually in the country too ... there are any number of things that'll get sucked or thrown or bounced up under the car and the Plate is cheap protection... worth it in peace-of-mind alone ...

Old 03-26-2003, 04:37 PM
Red
6th Gear
>> .... there are a couple of threads on this .... and a 'How-To' ...
>>
>>I think in the City, it is a must.... actually in the country too ... there are any number of things that'll get sucked or thrown or bounced up under the car and the Plate is cheap protection... worth it in peace-of-mind alone ...
>>

So why does MINI warranty the car and still build them without this feature?

Seems like a dumb move on their part, unless all this sucking and bouncing is just theory.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:02 AM
track-toy
4th Gear
I put the Mania plate on my car yesterday. That plastic stock thing does not even protect the power steering cooling fan which is where everyones main concern is. Plus if you lower your car, it's really a must have. Just about any decent sized piece of road debris (like that left by construction vehicles) could damage your car. Until you get one, avoid debris as much as you can and don't take it under the car on the center line where the fan is.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:11 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
I made sure the dealer had my skid plate installed prior to delivery. I was not going to risk anything hitting the underside of the engine or the power steering fan. For the cost you are getting alot of protection. And it looks really cool under the engine. Just remember the weight issue if that is a concern for you. I went with the stainless steel plate. I wash it off with my pressure washer when I wash the wash the car. Ok so I clean it off every weekend.......

Old 03-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>Just curious if it's something I really need. Anytime I mention the idea of a plastic bag being sucked into my car and catching on fire, people look at me like I'm insane. How many of you out there, have one or feel it's a necessity?
>>
>>P.S. I'm in NYC, pot-hole and litter capitol of america

Get one...I have it just for the sake of knowing the bottom of my engine is protected.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:18 AM
8ball
6th Gear
>>>>
>>
>>So why does MINI warranty the car and still build them without this feature?
>>
>>
>>Seems like a dumb move on their part, unless all this sucking and bouncing is just theory.

MINI builds a 'standard' car and it's just fine ... but there are a lot of mod's that help with longevity - things like changing oil more often: it's not necessary but may make the car last longer ...

Old 03-27-2003, 11:32 AM
SB
6th Gear
I should have one before my car is delivered. The only reason I am getting one is because of all the stuff I've read about the ps fan position. The extra protection is worth the price.

I'm going with the standard black. Is it noticeable from just looking at the car?

Old 03-27-2003, 11:45 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
You have get down on the ground to see the skid plate. You will never know it is there unless you look for it.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:50 AM
SB
6th Gear
Thanks. :smile:

Old 03-27-2003, 12:11 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone seen a full-size plastic skid plate available anywhere yet? I definitely want a skid plate, but I'm reluctant to bolt on a 20-pound piece of metal (after I just dropped weight by switching to the Borla exhaust!). Seems like mid-weight plastic should protect just fine against 99% of debris.

Also, just a reminder to anyone considering a skid plate - you'll end up having to remove it if you change your own oil, but it's not too big a deal. Just a few more minutes.

Old 03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
fms
5th Gear
Rather than a skid plate and the weight it would add, I'd be even more interested in something which just covered the PS fan w/out interefering w/ its function, since that's the most obvious vulnerability under the car. Anyone know of any such thing?

Old 03-27-2003, 02:32 PM
'*Ace*'
6th Gear
I want one, wish I had some money.

Old 03-27-2003, 03:53 PM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
MINI of Peabody Mass. is in the process of having a composite skid plate built and it should be ready now. I was told to call at the end of this week for an update as to the availability of this skid plate. I was told that it's considerably lighter than the metal one and is strong as carbon fiber. You can call Gary, he's the service mgr. there, at (978) 536-0088. He is in constant contact with the builder of the skid plate and can give you all the details you want. They are really a good bucnch there and are VERY, VERY, helpful.

Old 03-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Nobull60
6th Gear
>>Rather than a skid plate and the weight it would add, I'd be even more interested in something which just covered the PS fan w/out interefering w/ its function, since that's the most obvious vulnerability under the car. Anyone know of any such thing?

PM Minibeast...I think he sells something for the fan.

Old 03-27-2003, 05:58 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Insert another crazy Ryan idea:
Instead of throwing this HUGE slab-o-steel on your already slightly-porky MINI, install the famous "fan-grill" (see your PC's power supply for further detail) onto the Power Steering Fan!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-27-2003, 06:38 PM
res0zvle@verizon.net
1st Gear
Porsche uses a skid plate and it is pretty common knolwedge that you should remove the plate to prevent heat build-up that could possibly cause premature damage to the engine and performance loss. I have two Porsche plates in my attic now and neither car has suffered damage as a result of road debris (of course the engine is in the rear). :smile: The purpose of the plate on the Porsche is to meet US engine noise requirments. Does anyone know if the Mini skid plate or aftermarket skid plate possibly causes excess heat buildup?

Old 03-27-2003, 07:55 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Hey D.D., thanks for the info! I'm very close to Peabody. Any $ estimate on their composite skid plate?

Old 03-27-2003, 11:17 PM
fms
5th Gear
>>Insert another crazy Ryan idea:
>>Instead of throwing this HUGE slab-o-steel on your already slightly-porky MINI, install the famous "fan-grill" (see your PC's power supply for further detail) onto the Power Steering Fan!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Ryan

Did you do this, Ryan? I remember reading a post w/ a pic about this, but I didn't know anyone had actually done it. If you really did this, any pics or info on how you put it on would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:21 PM
fms
5th Gear
>>Insert another crazy Ryan idea:
>>Instead of throwing this HUGE slab-o-steel on your already slightly-porky MINI, install the famous "fan-grill" (see your PC's power supply for further detail) onto the Power Steering Fan!
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Ryan

Did you do this, Ryan? I remember reading a post w/ a pic about this, but I didn't know anyone had actually done it. If you really did this, any pics or info on how you put it on would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
sorry fms, I haven't done this yet: I haven't taken delivery yet!

Cheers,
Ryan

Old 03-27-2003, 11:40 PM
fms
5th Gear
Looking forward to seeing your mod, but not as much as you must be to seeing your new S!! Is this your second MINI? I figure it must be, since you're in 6th gear!!!

Old 03-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Sorry again fms! This will be MINI #1 for me

Old 03-28-2003, 03:43 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think the cost of the composite skid plate is somewhere around $160.00. Gary stated that they have not firmed up the final price and wiil not put an inferior product out there. If this skid plate does not meet their standards, they are going to scrap the whole idea. Give them a call or stop in and keep us posted as to any info you may find. :smile:

Old 03-28-2003, 12:06 PM
truckeecollins
3rd Gear
I had a rock go through the sump of my Alfa. Right after I rebuilt the engine a skid plate was the first thing I added. The weight of the plate was nothing compared to the weight I lost in my wallet.
I have one ordered for my new MCS.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior After market skid plate, necessary????