Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Cigarette Lighter Replacement, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 05:42 PM
loxycoon
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cigarette Lighter Replacement, etc?

It was sort of a shock to me when I picked up my new 05 MINI Cooper and found that it had been equipped with what I would think of as a "smoker's package". I thought this was usually an optional accessory now - most of my friends that have purchased cars in the last year have received them without ashtrays, etc. and have had to request that option package in order to receive it.

Because I am not a smoker, I am looking for ways to replace the following:

(1) The cup holder ashtray. While I like the fact I can put my change in it and close the lid, I'd rather not visibly have to reach into what is obviously an ashtray to do it, with the plastic mouldings for cigarettes taking up space. I know I can pull the entire cup out... but a plain covered cup would be very nice.

(2) Is there a replacement button for the cigarette lighter? One that does not have a picture of a cigarette on it? I know this outlet can be handy for plugging in some devices, but I'd rather have one without the picture of a cigarette on it. Since this is a very odd size and shape, I don't think I'll be able to purchase a replacement one at the local auto parts store and use that. Anyone have any idea where I can get one?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2005, 06:00 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
order another plug for the boot area, there should be a black nonfunctioal "lighter looking" plug in the back, that would be a good plug.

as far at the "ashtray" goes, i havent had a a problem using it to store change, mostly because the cupholders are completely useless....

Old 07-31-2005, 06:05 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by loxycoon
It was sort of a shock to me when I picked up my new 05 MINI Cooper and found that it had been equipped with what I would think of as a "smoker's package". I thought this was usually an optional accessory now - most of my friends that have purchased cars in the last year have received them without ashtrays, etc. and have had to request that option package in order to receive it.

Because I am not a smoker, I am looking for ways to replace the following:

(1) The cup holder ashtray. While I like the fact I can put my change in it and close the lid, I'd rather not visibly have to reach into what is obviously an ashtray to do it, with the plastic mouldings for cigarettes taking up space. I know I can pull the entire cup out... but a plain covered cup would be very nice.

(2) Is there a replacement button for the cigarette lighter? One that does not have a picture of a cigarette on it? I know this outlet can be handy for plugging in some devices, but I'd rather have one without the picture of a cigarette on it. Since this is a very odd size and shape, I don't think I'll be able to purchase a replacement one at the local auto parts store and use that. Anyone have any idea where I can get one?

Thanks!
Just get another replacement plug fro the outlet in the back. Its just a plastic spacer. Or you can put a sticker over the cigarette picture.

As for the cup you either take it out or not. Ther are no other options I have seen yet. You could have something made but that would be $$$. I look into the cup and do not see an 'obvious ashtray' as a non-snmoker It wasn't obvious to me, a smoker pointed out to me.
I think Belkin makes a IPOD holder that would fit in it also.

Paul

Old 07-31-2005, 06:29 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would just paint the cap (to cover up the cigarette picture) if it
bothers you that much.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:23 PM
loxycoon
3rd Gear
Thanks everyone!

I had no idea there was an outlet in the back... still finding out new things every day! I'll check it out tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. I think the best thing is to see if I can order one of these, if not, excellent ideas on the stickers. I think paint might be a little too obvious (probably hard to match the color and texture).

I just had a bad experience with dropping off my old car for service a few years ago and having the service person make themselves free with smoking in my car and using my ashtray and cigarette lighter. Just being silly, I guess, but if the smoking accessories are less noticible or not noticible at all, people might that a better hint to *not* smoke in my vehicle!

Old 07-31-2005, 07:24 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a bad experience with dropping off my old car for service a few years ago and having the service person make themselves free with smoking in my car and using my ashtray and cigarette lighter. Just being silly, I guess, but if the smoking accessories are less noticible or not noticible at all, people might that a better hint to *not* smoke in my vehicle!
i don't think you have to worry about that at BMW dealers.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:40 PM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Originally Posted by loxycoon
Thanks everyone!

I had no idea there was an outlet in the back... still finding out new things every day! I'll check it out tomorrow morning and see if I can find it. I think the best thing is to see if I can order one of these, if not, excellent ideas on the stickers. I think paint might be a little too obvious (probably hard to match the color and texture).

No problem then, just switch them, put your lighter in the back. No need to order anything. Unless you totally don't want a lighter in your car.

Paul

Old 07-31-2005, 07:44 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pcnorton
No problem then, just switch them, put your lighter in the back. No need to order anything. Unless you totally don't want a lighter in your car.

Paul
this guy's a genius!!!! i didnt think of that!!!

Old 07-31-2005, 08:24 PM
namwob
5th Gear
You could always take up smoking

Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Elmann
1st Gear
That's it take the car back and get a refund!!

Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 AM
fairmont
2nd Gear
Lighter Replacement

I have a flashlight in the exact shape of the lighter that is charged as the car is driven. I found it on this forum a few months ago. It works terrific. I don't have a link, but I'll try and find one.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Somehow, I've lost my cigarette lighter. Maybe you could just send your's to me?

Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
Somehow, I've lost my cigarette lighter. Maybe you could just send your's to me?
You didn't loose it, I've got it in my pocket.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Originally Posted by sndwave
You didn't loose it, I've got it in my pocket.
Serves me right, huh?

Old 08-01-2005, 05:41 AM
ski
2nd Gear
I did not like the burning cigarette picture on the top of the burner either so bought another one from Ebay with the mini logo on it. I also bought a tiny flash light that fits in the holder and use that sometimes. ski

Old 08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ski
I did not like the burning cigarette picture on the top of the burner either so bought another one from Ebay with the mini logo on it. I also bought a tiny flash light that fits in the holder and use that sometimes. ski
If you put a mini on it, how you going to know to use it to light up your cigar?

Old 08-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Turn the cigarette outlet, into a 3 plug multipurpose outlet.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=45620

Old 08-02-2005, 11:19 AM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I picked up a chrome lighter button at good old GI Joes for $10. It fit and accented the interior very nicely. Looks pretty classy for a lighter button actually. I havent seen it there sense, but am sure that it could be found online somewhere.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Tea Rex
1st Gear
lighter replacement

I used a screwdriver to pry off the center of the cigarette lighter leaving a plug with a big hole in the middle. I plugged the hole with a piece of wood dowling that I painted flat black. I use this modified plug in the trunk and the OEM plug in the lighter socket.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Moneypenny
3rd Gear
Pick a toggle sticker and cover the picture with that.

Ejector seat perhaps?

-Sarah

Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Old 08-16-2005, 08:49 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fairmont
I have a flashlight in the exact shape of the lighter that is charged as the car is driven. I found it on this forum a few months ago. It works terrific. I don't have a link, but I'll try and find one.
I have a similar LED flashlight that plug to the outlet for charging.. it is about the same size and shape as the cig. lighter. And that is VW part.. for the Tourag.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:02 PM
MiniJimmy
Neutral
Replace Cigarette Lighter

Go to your local BMW dealer and order part #51-16-8-222-183, Cigar Lighter Plug $3.71 US retail. Its a plain black plug that replaces the lighter. Fits BMW models and MINIs. Hope this helps.