Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior 3x12Vdc Power Strip DYI instructions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3x12Vdc Power Strip DIY instructions

I needed 2 12Vdc Power outlets in my MCS and wanted 3, if possible. I did not want to put any of the outlets in the European Tray, since my radar detector has a smart plug that has functions and LEDs that I wanted to be able to see. The stock 12Vdc plug is not ideal for the smart plug because it faces up and it prevents me from seeing the LEDs on the top of the plug. I wanted make sure that whatever I did, it would blend with the interior and could be easily removable, should I want to do something else later, with that space.

I have found the solution at Walmart of all places. In the car section, I found this 12Vdc power strip that I suspected could fit well under the toggle switches and on top of the stock 12Vdc. I was shocked how perfect it is for this application. I was going to use the little flaps that can come out to allow this part to be screwed on place. There is no space to allow for them in the space picked, so I used 3 Velcro strips. I notice that the little “door” behind this space has some clips that hold it in place. I open the “door” slightly, it gives extra support behind when I push the plugs in place. The three Velcro strips are strong enough to hold it in place when I pull the plugs. :smile:

This mod allowed me to rotate the location to insert the plugs by 90 degrees, which I needed. It blends perfectly with the interior. It can be removed if needed. It has an “off and on” button that allows me to insure that the power, to the plugged devices, is off. The only negative to the mod is that the fuse of this power strip is only 5 Amps. This might not be enough for many people. You can change the fuse, but I would recommend that you keep it to 7.5 or 10 Amps max.

To cover the unused power port, I am using a “Do not Smoke” labeled 12Vdc cover. I did not want the symbol showing, so I scrape it out. I hope that you find the pictures useful.

I might get some feedback that this belongs in the electrical installation forum, but I see it as an internal mod. The moderators can make the call.

Bomboasy

PS. The flash brings out a lot the difference in color between the black plastic near this mod and the color of the power strip. I can not see this difference in daylight. It looks the same.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:57 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
More pictures.

Bomboasy

Old 06-22-2005, 08:59 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
The little "door" that is been used as back support. The 12Vdc outlet cover.

In the first picture, in the first post, there is a little plastic piece that has a blue stripe. It is wrapped around the first ring next to the toggle switches. This is not part of this mod. It is a cell phone ear piece that I modified to allow my cell phone to play in the radio, AUX mode. That plastic piece is also the microphone and as a botton that allows me to hang up or answer a call. If interested, I can start a new thread on it. It is simple, just open the earpiece and remove the speaker. Solder a cable cut from any cheap stereo headset to the leads the speaker was solder to. The end of the cable that was solder has to be able to be plugged to the AUX input. Simple and cheap. Now I can hear my cell phone and the radar detector in the AUX mode. If a call comes in, I can answer from that plactic piece. If the radar detector goes off, I can mute it from the smart 12Vdc plug. If it goes off various times during the call, I can turn it off power from the power strip. Provided I have slowed down well below the speed limit.....

Bomboasy

Old 06-22-2005, 09:44 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
I did something very similar. I needed more plugs so i can plug in my radar detector and my xm radio. I did not want to hard wire each device as i want to be able to take them out if needed. What i did was i bought a 3 plug 12v adaptor from radioshack that comes with to ways to hook it up. You can either hook it up to your existing outlet or you can have it hard wired into the car. It included a quick disconnect piece that you can use for either install. What i did was i took the hard wire piece and connected it to the 3 plug adaptor and then used an add a fuse into the fuse box. I then placed the ground under the dash where there was metal connected to the frame of the car. The 3 plug adaptor sits up and under the passenger feet area. You can not see it unless you look under the passenger dash. I then ran the wires neatly for the xm and the rader and have them plugged into the unit. Looks real nice and it is very clean. No splicing into any wires. The dealership did give me some BS about it and says that it could void my warranty as i have it tapped into the electrical system. But I told them that no wires were spliced and does not cause any effect on the electrical system at all. So it can not hurt anything. Also told them that I am no dummy when it comes to workig with wires. I can take pictures if needed.

Garrett

Old 06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Nice Bomboasy. How much was the splitter from Walart?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:02 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
It was $10.95, I believe. Ten something plus tax. The part number is in the picture of post #1.

Bomboasy

PS. Wagnbat sounds like you need one in the BatMinimobile.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Affirmative.

I love gadgets. I'll have to remember to look for them the next time I'm in Walmart. I only go there when I have several things to get, because less trips = less chances of getting shot, mugged, or whatever else happens at Walmarts in Prince George's County, Maryland these days.

Last edited by Wagnbat; 06-23-2005 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 PM
matthewz
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Wagnbat
Affirmative.

I love gadgets. I'll have to remember to look for them the next time I'm in Walmart. I only go there when I have several things to get, because less trips = less chances of getting shot, mugged, or whatever else happens at Walmarts in Prince George's County, Maryland these days.
Hey Batguy,

I'd say that errant shopping carts striking pristine black MINI's are what you should look out for at Wal-Mart. The damned things are like chrome weeds, or maybe tumbleweeds, the way they wander all over the lot.

Watch out!

Cheers,
Matthew Z.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Made a run yesterday. Picked it up for 10.69 plus tax. Not bad. Now hopefully I can install it as well as you did.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:18 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
I am now using all of the three 12V power ports.

Cell phone
Radar Detector - with 12 V smart plug
Performance computer. - with 12 V smart plug

The smart plugs have functions on the 12 V plug, so no permanent installation is wanted. It has done fine for me, even without changing the 5 Amp fuse. The off/on switch is handy, to insure that the battery will not die while the car is parked at the airport for a whole week. Since I arrive at midnight, most of the time, it is not a great time to have a dead battery. I am sure you will like be happy with the results.

Bomboasy