Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Painting Intercooler cover to match car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 09:05 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Intercooler cover to match car

I have purchased a second Intercooler cover with plans to paint it to match my car. My car is PS and I want to paint the cover PS and have the normal S on it red.

Anyone see this being a problem? I mean it won't cause the cover to be anymore ineffective then it already is right?

I figure it will add some simple style to the engine compartment similar to what the JCW intercooler cover does.

Old 05-30-2005, 09:23 PM
greenphantom
1st Gear
I painted my IC cover electric blue to add some flair to the engine bay. I used to work in a body and fender shop several years ago, my advice is that if you decide to paint the IC cover with auto body paint, consider having a body/paint shop painting it, it will save you lot's of time and effort (Iknow from bitter experience). For the Red "S", i suggest buying an S badge like the one one the boot, it is the exact same size as the S in the IC cover. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2005, 09:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
mdsbrain,

Sure, you'll be fine. For the "S" badge you can handpaint the red S or use a keychain S and cut/file off the ring at the top.

See
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=29843
and
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=20513

Spray painted heat resistant blue metallic paint and hand painted silver and red "S".

Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Thanks for the comments. Yes I am sending the cover to a guy who paints car parts. I'm still on the fence as to how to do the S. I'll ask the painter whats easier. I have an extra set of rear Cooper S plates that I could get an S for.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Thanks for the comments. Yes I am sending the cover to a guy who paints car parts. I'm still on the fence as to how to do the S. I'll ask the painter whats easier. I have an extra set of rear Cooper S plates that I could get an S for.
My best friend owns a shop and I have painted two IC Covers with PPG AutoColour body paint. The cover must be prepped with plastic adhesive compund, primed, painted body color, 'S" handpainted red on one and silver on the other (IC was painted red). Then three coats of clear coat was applied and the cover was then allowed to bake at 110 degrees for about 30 minutes. I have had one on mt MCSc since Jan. when I brought it home. The paint is as good as the day it was sprayed. The hood scoop gasket does leave some marks but waxing it takes then right off. A good painter can do the 'S' freehand.