Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Parcel Shelf Install Problem 05 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 11:43 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you have to slip it iver those little > shaped things. you will feel it go in. you have to kinda lean the shelf back while you push if torward then it ops onto place.

the clip on the top of the shelf that look like they habg down a bit wont ever go in all the way, theres no provision for them in the dash, i dont think this shelf was designed to fit our US spec cars perfectly. there are a few other little alignment issures that would make me assume that the shelf wasnt meant to go in our cars.

i still dont see a prbolem here. ive taken my shelf in and out probably 50 times and it goes in and out the same time every time. i even have a passenger side parcel shelf and it goes in and out just as easy.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Skeffers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 2006 MC.

The left clip snapped in when I punched the left side of the shelf. But punching the right side did nothing for the right clip.

I then used this 90 degree steel pick to get the right clip to clip onto the rear bar. I placed the pick under the clip and pushed it up while also pushing on the shelf. The clip snapped into place.

Old 12-28-2005, 10:50 AM
CeridianMN
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
the clip on the top of the shelf that look like they habg down a bit wont ever go in all the way, theres no provision for them in the dash, i dont think this shelf was designed to fit our US spec cars perfectly. there are a few other little alignment issures that would make me assume that the shelf wasnt meant to go in our cars.
The clips on the top of mine are snugged in under the dash, I did have to push the right side quite firmly to get it under, but then I had to push it firmly to get it to where the screw would line up anyhow.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Success!!! ;-)

Thanks to all of you folks who went before me & found all of the pitfalls. This thread was most helpfull, it sure saved me some time.

Here's my take on installing the Euro parcel shelf on a 06 MCS....taking the old bolster off was cake, I just grabbed it on the right side of the steering column & tugged hard, same for the left side. It popped right off. As was suggested I taped those blue speed nut dealies so they wouldn't move (MUCH). They did move some. As has been suggested already a trip to the hardware store will make the install go easier. I suggest that you use the handy mans secret weapon....Duct Tape! The bottom of the shelf popped right in for me. I used a sraight pick to align the holes. The left side went right in, but the right took a couple of tries. When You use the pick to align the holes look at the angle the pick is at. It may not look right, but as you tighten the screw it will pull things together into their propper alignment. The install took all of 20 minutes.

Thanks again for the help!

Chuck

Old 12-30-2005, 09:16 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Outbackbob
Installed mine on an 06.
The bottom doesn't clip in. The shelf is held into place by itself when you slide it onto the tabs on each side.
I held the blue tabs with a pliers and prethreaded them with the screw first before I installed them.
I found I had to push pretty hard to get the right side to line up. I just used a piece of masking tape to hold it in place cause it slides back.
I downloaded the template for a rubber mat and bought a peice of rubber mat remnant in the carpet area of Lowes for a dollar. Fit perfect.
Shelf template link
http://www.outbackbob.com/mini/parcel_template.pdf
The link doesn't work.

Where is the best place to order the shelf?

Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
The link doesn't work.

Where is the best place to order the shelf?
It is a PDF file if you don't have Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer you won't be able to open it.
http://www.adobe.com/

I converted it to .jpg 2 pages. You need both pages.
http://www.outbackbob.com/mini/Parcel_template_p1.jpg
http://www.outbackbob.com/mini/Parcel_template_p2.jpg

I got my shelf at myminiparts $69.00+$5.00 shipping

Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
It worked that time. I don't know why it didn't before, earlier the link said you site didn't exist!!!

Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Outbackbob
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
It worked that time. I don't know why it didn't before, earlier the link said you site didn't exist!!!
They might have been doing maintenance or something who knows?
Glad you got it.