Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Thoughts on Invisishield

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Invisishield

After buying my car more than a year ago, and seeing many rock chips on the front, I'm starting to think that I should have got the Invisishield from the get go...
Anyway, I'm thinking about cutting my losses and getting the lower kit Invisishield during my next service next month.
Is it a good idea to put one on an "imperfect" bumper? I don't have any big paint chips, they're more like scratches. Also, do I have to remove all the Zaino with Dawn before installation. Or should I just leave it alone and buy a new bumper when it gets really damaged (but by then, what will be the odds of finding a entire lower front bumper for an 03' ?). I intent to keep my car "til it dies" by the way.

Any thoughts or comments?

Old 12-23-2004, 06:40 PM
MrV
4th Gear
My dealer said that they don't even use Mini's invisishield due to a better quality product being available aftermarket.

I don't know whether to believe him or not. Could be a monetary rather than quality issue at the dealer.

My point ??? Glad you asked. I looked into aftermarket a little and it seems that you can save money by getting a local shop to do it instead and not even involve Mini.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clearbra doesn't stick very well when there are chips on the surface. You get these white rings around the chipped areas or areas that you touchup.
It's hardly noticable, but if you're picky you'll definitely see it.

You're probably better off getting the bumper repainted, then install
the clearbra. You should make sure the paint has completely cured
before you install as I've heard some people's paint peeling off
during installation...

I have the Xpel on my Aero bumper as it has aftermarket paint. It chips
like crazy without it. :smile: www.autoclearguard.com I installed it myself.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:47 PM
eman
1st Gear
I got the 3M product installed by my dealer when I bought the car. I've been really happy with it. It's barely visible and the front of the car looks great. I think it was about $500 installed at Motorwerks Mini in Minneapolis.

E

Old 12-23-2004, 07:24 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I'd recommend having the bumper repainted or those stone chips repaired if at all possible. I had heard sometime back about mobile chip repair services that probably do some sort of Langka-type of process (or something) to repair stone chips. I wonder if a body shop would do something like that, too...if it'd be cheaper than repainting everything.

Anyway, I was looking into all this when my Cooper got all smashed up resulting in a new bumper, bonnet, etc, etc. Yup, second time around, with everything newly painted, I got the 3M clear bra installed.

I had a real problemthough...not with the product...but finding a really good installer here in the area. I went with a vendor who does LOTS of MINIs according to a local dealer. The first install on the bonnet they messed up and had a second go at it (...I didn't even know about this 'til later). In the end I rejected that one, too and they did a third install which was "pretty good"....but why have a good product if no one can install it p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y?!?!?!?! Mystifies the heck outa me! Anyway, I'm satisfied for now.

So, if you're researching the best clear bra product, ya might spend as much time looking for a really, really good installer. My 2 cents...

Old 12-23-2004, 08:26 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
I ordered an InvincaShield kit a couple of days before out MINI was due for delivery and had it installed two days after. A week later I took the car on a 400 mile (one direction) trip to west TX and picked up several stones along the way - and a few more on the trip back. One was obviously large enough to get through the film and get to the paint bu the other 10 or so just knicked the film - best investment I believe we've =made in "mods" so far. The InvincaShield kit is really made smart, with cuts in the right places to avoid having the stretch the film to fit the curves, and I highly recommend it.

I also decided to put my stripes on over the InvincaShield instead of under it in case I decide to change them somewhere down the road. There is an obvious line where the stripes cross the edge of the film but it isn't too noticeable unless you are standing in front of the car and looking down at the bonnet.

Old 12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
The Invisi-Shield is utter crap! I have had mine for more than 30k miles and it's all tore up. I could buy a hood and bumper (NEW) than get that clear *****. I hate it! I want to take it off. Save your money on a future mod. That's my .02 cents.