Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How to remove wiper arms/ replacing cowl

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:12 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to remove wiper arms/ replacing cowl

Decided to replace the cowl in our 2nd generation R56 and like everyone else, searched the forums for this task. Saw all of the posts and videos for removing the wiper arms that I could find online. Not one mention of something I discovered.

I started by using the "puller" method on the passenger side (really just a pluming valve handle puller that you can get at Home Depot, etc.) and it worked. The driver's side however proved more difficult as others have mentioned so started on the "banging/twisting" method that has been mentioned. While I was in various contorted positions alternately invoking all sorts of deities to aid me and words of blasphemy (neither helped), I put the arm in the raised position (like if you are cleaning the window) to get a better grip and voila, the whole arm came free. I can only assume there is a spring locking mechanism that tightens when the arm is down and loosens when the arm is up. I tested this when I replaced both the arms after replacing the cowl and yes on both, the arm was free when raised and tight when flat. It certainly made the repositioning of the wipers easy, no need to mark where they were at.

I am hoping that someone might confirm/try this with their mini, as I have not found to date this trick online or on any forum.

The following users liked this post:
Grumpy_i_m (06-17-2020)
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.S. forgot to mention, the cowl came out great.