1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Wiper/Battery Cowl Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 AM
shayne17
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Wiper/Battery Cowl Cover

Hello,

This is my first post so I figure I better make it a good one. I just bought my second MINI a few weeks ago and the dealer had a $500 promotion in which I could get any MINI accessory I wanted. I opted for the rally lights. It wasn't exactly a two minute job but I did get it done and it worked the first time!

Here's my problem: I broke the wiper/battery cowl covers (both left and right) when taking them off so I could get to the underside which contains the battery, master brake cylinder, that whole area essentially. I live in the Northeast and it has been frigid out here. I was working in about 3 degree weather and the tabs not only snapped off but I broke the driver side cowl nearly in two. I thought of gluing it, but not only do I not have all the plastic pieces I thought it would look like crap.

Does anyone know the factory part numbers on these so I can get the left and ride cowl covers? Can I order these somewhere online or do I have to go through my dealer? For what it's worth my dealer is NOT very easy to work with.......

Thanks for all your help,

Cheers

Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know some NAMers go to either Morristown MINI or Classic MINI to get parts at a discount; you may want to try them first. Not sure where Morristown is, but Classic is near Cleveland, and they did offer NAM discounts. Check and see, good luck

Old 01-19-2009, 08:55 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can find the part number and diagram at realoem.com. here's the link for a R56 MC. it helps to have the part numbers handy before you call morristown or classic mini to get a discount. you could get it at an online site like pelican auto parts, but then you forgoe the discount.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM
shayne17
1st Gear
Thank You

You two are the absolute best. I ended up calling my dealer out of curiosity today and the part #3 and #4 were only $36 each. I couldn't believe my ears that it was so cheap. I was expecting nearly $200. We all know how sometimes these small things add up real quick.

Thanks sequence for the heads up with Classic MINI and Morristown MINI and as well to lacning74 for the great link and pic.

I think the next time I have to fiddle with these tabs I'll heat the whole thing carefully with a hair dryer to warm it up, hopefully making it a little less brittle.

Best,

shayne17

2007 MCS...mods to come

Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
y're welcome MINI body parts really are not that expensive; when a lot jock destroyed my 2005's rear bumper cover the part (minus the black inserts) was only $82. it's the labor they getcha on, big time.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM
HappyMeanie
Neutral
I gotta say, I'm so grateful for this post. My totally awesome neighbors flicked a lit cigarette on to my new little bean last night and totally melted the battery/windshield wiper cowl. At least now I know I can change this part out myself and it won't break the bank. -- How can people be so cruel to the Mini's???

Old 07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shayne17
Here's my problem: I broke the wiper/battery cowl covers (both left and right) when taking them off so I could get to the underside which contains the battery, master brake cylinder, that whole area essentially.
I had the driving lights installed at the port. Mini's own tech broke the same piece on my car as well. They must break fairly easy or the tech was just in a hurry.