Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior plasti dip plastic trim around car

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
plasti dip plastic trim around car

my plastic trim is fading pretty bad. I think the best way to deal with it is plasti dip. cause any liquid "plastic restorers" I assume would wash off after a few car washings.

I want to do the plastic trim that goes along the front bumper and rear bumper as well and everywhere else. the side trim looks easy but the front and rear bumper and possibly the wheel arches looks harder because the plastic is touching the paint. theres no gap for the plasti dip to separate from the two surfaces.

I attached a few photos of what I'm talking about. the 1st is the front bumper. the 2nd is the wheel arch, and 3rd is the rear bumper.

Attached Thumbnails plasti dip plastic trim around car-img_20170620_142115519.jpg   plasti dip plastic trim around car-img_20170620_142134034.jpg   plasti dip plastic trim around car-img_20170620_142231801.jpg  
Old 06-20-2017, 12:13 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe3
my plastic trim is fading pretty bad. I think the best way to deal with it is plasti dip. cause any liquid "plastic restorers" I assume would wash off after a few car washings.

I want to do the plastic trim that goes along the front bumper and rear bumper as well and everywhere else. the side trim looks easy but the front and rear bumper and possibly the wheel arches looks harder because the plastic is touching the paint. theres no gap for the plasti dip to separate from the two surfaces.

I attached a few photos of what I'm talking about. the 1st is the front bumper. the 2nd is the wheel arch, and 3rd is the rear bumper.
I spent all day taking my front wheels off, cleaning and prepping them; 6 coats later, it all looked good. Three days out I needed to wash Scarlet, which I do by hand, sprayed the wheels up, they started peeling. I know there is a special type of cleaner that I'm supposed to use, I forgot. The point is, you need to take special care of your plasti-dip surfaces. Are you willing to go through the extra steps, care needed to keep the surface looking clean and new? My rims are white, that may have been an issue, should not have though. Next up-Duplicolor........ I would use Plasti-dip on the front as an invisible bra....

Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Another option is to use one of the plastic "restorers" like Mother's Back to Black. Several coats will restore the black finish but you'll have to reapply periodically to keep the trim looking good.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:05 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Plasti dip peels and chips off.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gumbedamit
I spent all day taking my front wheels off, cleaning and prepping them; 6 coats later, it all looked good. Three days out I needed to wash Scarlet, which I do by hand, sprayed the wheels up, they started peeling. I know there is a special type of cleaner that I'm supposed to use, I forgot. The point is, you need to take special care of your plasti-dip surfaces. Are you willing to go through the extra steps, care needed to keep the surface looking clean and new? My rims are white, that may have been an issue, should not have though. Next up-Duplicolor........ I would use Plasti-dip on the front as an invisible bra....
I dont think that should have happened. did you wipe the wheels down with isopropyl alcohol or some kind of degreaser before you plasti dipped? some car wash soaps like the one I use leave a wax coating.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 AM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
I dont think that should have happened. did you wipe the wheels down with isopropyl alcohol or some kind of degreaser before you plasti dipped? some car wash soaps like the one I use leave a wax coating.
Disclaimer: I own a Mobile Detail Business.
Yes, I did use a degreaser, the problem was after the wheels were all white and clean. Once they got dirty, I went to clean Scarlet and used my regular wheel cleaning product on the wheels, that's a NO NO! Only regular soap or something formulated for DIPPED surfaces. So, for me, no more dipped parts, it's just not worth it for a temporary solution.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Disclaimer: I own a Mobile Detail Business.
Yes, I did use a degreaser, the problem was after the wheels were all white and clean. Once they got dirty, I went to clean Scarlet and used my regular wheel cleaning product on the wheels, that's a NO NO! Only regular soap or something formulated for DIPPED surfaces. So, for me, no more dipped parts, it's just not worth it for a temporary solution.
I see. if I used a plastic restore liquid I'd have to baby that just like plasti dip.

are you still going to use duplicolor? cause it looks like thats very similar to plasti dip. only worse according to this video you can see how much less adhesive it has

Old 06-22-2017, 12:51 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
I see. if I used a plastic restore liquid I'd have to baby that just like plasti dip.

are you still going to use duplicolor? cause it looks like thats very similar to plasti dip. only worse according to this video you can see how much less adhesive it has

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16OA485UPOc
Hey Gabe, I don't know what product that is. The Duplicolor I'm using is a high strength/High Temperature paint most like you would use to paint your calipers, not a coating. I plan on using a 3 step process, Primer/Paint/Clearcoat as follows:

Primer
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Paint
ClearCoat

I've already ordered it, going to wait until after the 4th to get it done. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:26 PM
stelvio
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used plastidip for years and I've never had it peel unless I did thin coats. I've also never used heavy degreasers to clean plastidip (-_-).
It is a ghetto mod though since it will never look as nice as paint or wrap.
</$0.02>

Old 07-09-2017, 02:32 PM
gumbedamit
5th Gear
OK, I finally got around to painting my rims with the Dupli-Color. I should have done this first. The Dupli-color primer, paint and clear coat worked really well. If you are planning on a Permanent solution, go with the duplicolor. Plastdip is fine, but to tell the truth, even if you want to change the color using Duplicolor, it's still easier than Plastidip. You still have to prep the wheels the same way. Unlike the Plastidip which requires 30 mins between coats, the Duplicolor requires just 10. Not bashing Plastidip, I tried it and it did not work out well for what I needed. One more thing, peeling the Plastidip from a rim sux!!!! If I wanted another color using Duplicolor, I would just prime and repaint.

This is what the wheel looked like before

Primer stage

Primer Stage final coat

This is the final stage. Keep in mind, this is a permanent paint. I'll have to see how it holds up. I will keep you posted

Old 07-09-2017, 02:41 PM
stelvio
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing, peeling the Plastidip from a rim sux!!!! [/I]
I had trouble getting plastidip off 1 wheel a while back so I just did more coats next time and it comes off super easy when it's thicker. But I agree with you, plastidip is not a permanent solution to wheels.