Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Another Rear Foglight Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Laura & Gary
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Rear Foglight Thread

Hi all, I have spent a few hours looking through all the rear foglight information and have not run across the issue that I am having.

Backstory: 2006 R53 JCW, Bought the toggle panel from someone in UK and bought the rear fog directly from Mini. Have had the toggle panel in for a while and everything else with it works.

Finally went to the dealer to have some work done, options programmed and rear fog activated.

Dealership said that the rear fog was activated but doesn't work. They did not try to troubleshoot or even check if there was a burnt bulb.

Hubby and I first noticed that the toggle did not light up when switched. Hmm.... we decided that we would take it home to look at since he installed the light and toggle. Tested things and we have continuity from the fog itself up until the BCM. This makes me think that they did not activate the rear fog and the BCM is not sending signal to the toggle panel.

Has anyone heard of any issues with programming not taking?

It's either that or we are dealing with an incompetent tech.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:04 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
You've done everything that should have been necessary (switch panel, light fixture, programming). Like you, I installed the switch panel and light on my 2006 R52 myself and had a dealer do the programming, and it worked. For reference, the programming is described on page 12 of this document: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t_Retrofit.pdf. You did test it while running lights are turned on, right?

Old 05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Laura & Gary
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I took my mini back to the dealership and they "confirmed" that the rear fog is programmed. Now they want an additional $300 diagnostic fee to troubleshoot. (Plus parts and labor on anything discovered). (On top of the $250 that they charged to program options and turn on the rear fog).

Does anyone know of any post 11/2004 vehicles having missing wiring?

The toggle plug itself had the correct wires so I guess the next step is to go from the lamp itself and start tracing.

(On a side note: If anyone in Houston knows of a better place to go, please PM me... dealing with a Service Advisor who knows nothing about cars is frustrating, to say the least)

Old 05-06-2014, 02:34 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
If the dealer did the programming, they should have done the proper testing during that time to make sure the programming worked and the light activated. The $300 diagnostic fee seems high to me as it's $120(?) here at MINI of Austin. If you guys installed the switch panel and light and had a spot to plug everything in, then I can't see why it's not working. Maybe try another dealer and see if they'll do a goodwill check on the programming to make sure it is in fact done right.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:06 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have been contemplating this modification. I got a similar quote. 250 to activate is robbery. I miss the days when you wanted a light is was a switch that went to a relay. now everything goes thru a stupid computer. sometimes computers go out and we pay the price.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Laura & Gary
dealing with a Service Advisor who knows nothing about cars is frustrating, to say the least)
They know how to rob you for sure. I hope that you can resolve your issue

Old 05-23-2014, 10:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
7/2004+

Looks under the bumper near the center, if you see a plug that fits the rear fog light , you have it. If not you will need this cable plus the red light housing and the appropriate toggle bank that matches your year and the options you have + rear fog., the year split was 7/2004 on most toggle banks. Pre 7/2004 cars have the dual rear fogs in tails, upper portion.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63120406620/

&

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63247166015/

Then the appropriate toggle bank. They link the instructions above. I would check to make sure everything is connected and you have the right part number toggle bank. What is your exact production month/year/ options.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
nothing stopping you from installing rear fogs with a switch and a relay ... it is the desire to use the factory switch bank that causes the complications.

Easy way is to just install a regular switch some place else ... others HAVE disected the factory bank and replaced the micro-momentary switch with a similar looking micr-toggle .. then use a relay and away you go . . .

Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM
gpwpat
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I found a swith bank with rear fogs on Ebay for my car. I have been doing research on how to get the stock momentary to trigger a locking relay to run the rear fog. Bybassing any programming and the fee. will require running a wire and soldering.