Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Best seat belt holders

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:51 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best seat belt holders

After using the usual seat belt holders available on the web for our R56 and having them break repeatedly, I decided to think outside of the box. Found these for a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and thought I would give them a try. So far they have worked out great. They are made of molded plastic and are very sturdy. Easy to modify for a Mini (two holes to drill) and the price not too expensive (I'm sure someone can find them cheaper on the web) makes them even more likeable (although I think they look good on our white interior, they would look better on our old black one).

Attached Thumbnails Best seat belt holders-p1000467.jpg  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good mod! I agree they would look even better on a black interior. I was able to get the Mini versions to work by gluing them where they pivot using some thin CA glue. No way they will separate now.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yea I'm about to superglue the two pieces together of the MINI versions that I have. Hate having one side snap out when I go to get out of the car.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BandB
After using the usual seat belt holders available on the web for our R56 and having them break repeatedly, I decided to think outside of the box. Found these for a 2008 Chevy Cobalt and thought I would give them a try. So far they have worked out great. They are made of molded plastic and are very sturdy. Easy to modify for a Mini (two holes to drill) and the price not too expensive (I'm sure someone can find them cheaper on the web) makes them even more likeable (although I think they look good on our white interior, they would look better on our old black one).
Great find, BandB! These look much sturdier than the Mini one. Do you have a picture of them uninstalled to see how they attach?

Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Having had a few requests for the parts numbers and diy instructions, here you go. Driver's side #10386174-$12 and pass. side #10385983-$16. Just need to drill two new holes for the headrest posts (first photo, blue tape factory drilled holes and masking tape new holes). Took off excess (second photo) with a hacksaw and smoothed the edges with a dremmel (just for cosmetic purposes). Then just remove the headrest and slip it on the posts and replace headrest (third photo). The holes have to be moved over so that the seat will go all the way back (if needed) but it could be moved over further (and make the seat belt closer to the headrest). My wife likes the fact that it holds it out a bit so as to not be too tight, so I did not move the holes on the driver side (her car anyways).

Attached Thumbnails Best seat belt holders-p1000463.jpg   Best seat belt holders-p1000465.jpg   Best seat belt holders-p1000466.jpg  

Last edited by BandB; 05-25-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:42 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jake C6R
Good mod! I agree they would look even better on a black interior. I was able to get the Mini versions to work by gluing them where they pivot using some thin CA glue. No way they will separate now.
Tried that with mine before and it worked for a while. Might be that it didn't hold for long because the intense heat where I live, Palm Springs area of Ca. Also why we switched to white interior, those black interiors get awfully hot

Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Oooo, and they're made in Canada!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pmsummer
Oooo, and they're made in Canada!
Of course, nothing but items from the "empire" for our "Big Ben".

Old 05-25-2013, 08:03 AM
jziran
1st Gear
Having had a few requests for the parts numbers and diy instructions, here you go. Driver's side #10386174-$12 and pass. side #10385983-$16. Just need to drill two new holes for the headrest posts (first photo, blue tape factory drilled wholes and masking tape new holes). Took off excess (second photo) with a hacksaw and smoothed the edges with a dremmel (just for cosmetic purposes). Then just remove the headrest and slip it on the posts and replace headrest (third photo). The holes have to be moved over so that the seat will go all the way back (if needed) but it could be moved over further (and make the seat belt closer to the headrest). My wife likes the fact that it holds it out a bit so as to not be too tight, so I did not move the holes on the driver side (her car anyways).
Thanks BandB.

Parts ordered from GMpartsclub.com. Great mod! Will post my DIY when my parts arrive

Old 05-25-2013, 09:00 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Having had a few requests for the parts numbers and diy instructions, here you go. Driver's side #10386174-$12 and pass. side #10385983-$16. Just need to drill two new holes for the headrest posts (first photo, blue tape factory drilled holes and masking tape new holes). Took off excess (second photo) with a hacksaw and smoothed the edges with a dremmel (just for cosmetic purposes). Then just remove the headrest and slip it on the posts and replace headrest (third photo). The holes have to be moved over so that the seat will go all the way back (if needed) but it could be moved over further (and make the seat belt closer to the headrest). My wife likes the fact that it holds it out a bit so as to not be too tight, so I did not move the holes on the driver side (her car anyways).
I forgot to mention that these also come in a gray color (different order #s however). Not very appealing to me but if anyone wanted it

Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM
tecnica
2nd Gear
awesome find!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Scooter-09'MCS
1st Gear
Took the plunge last week on BandB's suggestion...Thanks!

I had the Mini brand holders and they were nice...for about a day or so. Parts came in the mail today...these are an easy mod and seem really sturdy. Black does look sweet w/ black seat covers. I used GMPartsDirect...$30.73 total with shipping...PartsClub wanted a few more bucks.

Attached Thumbnails Best seat belt holders-lt-seat-belt.jpg   Best seat belt holders-rt-seat-belt.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 04:05 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
When I just ordered online my shipping came out at $119.86.....must have done something wrong?

Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 AM
wikka
Neutral
Just found the identical part numbers on eBay.. Paid $33.08 delivered

Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Thanks for this! My wife is always complaining about finding her belt. I ordered them from GMPARTSDIRECT.com for 30.73 dellivered.......

Old 06-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Scooter-09'MCS
1st Gear
Ditto on the wife thing Reebus...

Of course I did this mod for me, but too am selling it off as for the wife who can never seem to find the seat belt...as if I stuck it behind the seat on purpose. "GMPartsDirect" pacts the stuff real well...they'll process by Tuesday, UPS by Friday, local post office by Saturday.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:51 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINILLA
When I just ordered online my shipping came out at $119.86.....must have done something wrong?
I was finally able to order them under my wife's email at the same price several of you have purchased them for $30.73 delivered.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scooter-09'MCS
I had the Mini brand holders and they were nice...for about a day or so. Parts came in the mail today...these are an easy mod and seem really sturdy. Black does look sweet w/ black seat covers. I used GMPartsDirect...$30.73 total with shipping...PartsClub wanted a few more bucks.
I am glad to see how they look on the black seats, smooth! This is really the best and easiest mod ever (I mean for our wives of course). GM will really have a run on their Cobalt parts if this gets out.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 AM
bccan
2nd Gear
Thanks BandB for a good, simple & cheap mod. Bought the parts last week after seeing your post, installed them this weekend. 15 minute job & works well.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
The main issue I see with this mod is during a front end collision...While somewhat frail the MINI one was designed to break away past the shoulder when the ballistic tensioner fires.

The way this device has been installed it has the potential to snap off behind the head of the occupant and drive a plastic section into their necks, or the metal rods from the head rest.....

Last edited by -=gRaY rAvEn=-; 06-03-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:32 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
The main issue I see with this mod is during a front end collision...While somewhat frail the MINI one was designed to break away past the shoulder when the ballistic tensioner fires.

The way this device has been installed it has the potential to snap off behind the head of the occupant and drive a plastic section into their necks, or the metal rods from the head rest.....

As with all mods, the owner is doing something to the vehicle that the manufacturer did not intend originally (otherwise Mini would have included it on the car from the start). That goes also for the aftermarket "Mini one" that you show in your diagram. Although it is "designed" to break away, one could conclude that the remaining plastic and metal pieces could as you describe snap and be dangerous also. As for the comment about the metal rods from the headrest coming out, well there again, if they were to come out (highly unlikely as all manufacturers make them with a locking mechanism) they would come out with either unit. As these are being installed the exact same way they would be on a Chevy Cobalt, obviously if it were a problem, we would have heard about it. I am sure GM took this into account when designing a durable, molded plastic product.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Scooter-09'MCS
Looks like they were meant to be! What seat covers are those? Is the logo a custom add-on?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
As with all mods, the owner is doing something to the vehicle that the manufacturer did not intend originally (otherwise Mini would have included it on the car from the start). That goes also for the aftermarket "Mini one" that you show in your diagram. Although it is "designed" to break away, one could conclude that the remaining plastic and metal pieces could as you describe snap and be dangerous also. As for the comment about the metal rods from the headrest coming out, well there again, if they were to come out (highly unlikely as all manufacturers make them with a locking mechanism) they would come out with either unit. As these are being installed the exact same way they would be on a Chevy Cobalt, obviously if it were a problem, we would have heard about it. I am sure GM took this into account when designing a durable, molded plastic product.

check out my signature when you have a minute....done more mods than most.

Secondly, THAT is not an aftermarket MINI one in the image I posted. It's a genuine MINI part....

And with respect to you a brand new MINI owner with just 14 posts here, and General Motors, you are assuming the American made Colbolt has the same ballistic tensioner set up design/load......

As a responsible person, one has to consider some folks reading about this may not actually think all these things through. Have been a few mods I have seen done to MINI's which ended later with somewhat catastrophic results......hence the reason for my post and professional opinion....

Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
check out my signature when you have a minute....done more mods than most.

Secondly, THAT is not an aftermarket MINI one in the image I posted. It's a genuine MINI part....

And with respect to you a brand new MINI owner with just 14 posts here, and General Motors, you are assuming the American made Colbolt has the same ballistic tensioner set up design/load......

As a responsible person, one has to consider some folks reading about this may not actually think all these things through. Have been a few mods I have seen done to MINI's which ended later with somewhat catastrophic results......hence the reason for my post and professional opinion....
I get it, you either don't like the mod or you have stock in Mini parts (you did mention you are a professional).
The only assumption being made is that I am a new Mini owner (have owned Minis since 2008). However if this is a comparison, some of the points you make are true, yours is longer and more impressive (list of mods, of course) and 14 (size of my post).
As I stated above, mods are something and owner does to improve their car and they are liable for any outcome.
The one thing that is not an assumption (according to the amount of posts here) is that the seat belt holder offered by the Mini sites and Mini itself are not worth the money (had one and surprise, it kept breaking off). I just happened to look outside of the box for an answer and obviously there is a need or no one else would be interested.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
His point might be a little more valid if he also attacked the people in here that have stated they have (or are going to, like myself) superglue the two pieces together to keep them from breaking into two pieces when doing everyday things like getting out of the car or shutting a door when buckled in.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Best seat belt holders