Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Best seat belt holders

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:02 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I get it Tex, your saying anyone here with apposing viewpoint and constructive criticism regarding a mod which could potentially cause someone undue harm is on the attack....Good luck with that

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No I'm not saying anyone here with an opposing viewpoint is going to be attacked. As I stated, I'm using the MINI version of the GM part that was brought up in this thread. But at the same time, I'm quite upset that it couldn't have been assembled in a better manner to which it wouldn't break if you don't get out of the car like a 8 foot giant (read: delicately). I applaud these guys for thinking outside the box, and while MINI may use a different seat belt setup than GM, I'm pretty sure this thing has been through crash testing to ensure that it is more than adequate at not disintegrating and stabbing pieces of plastic into people's necks. If there's one thing that GM does better then anyone else, it's plastic interiors.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And people here are saying that if it is an OEM part for a GM car then it has been tested thoroughly and does the job that it's been designed to do....and for goodness sake don't go with a mod that increases the performance and the speed of the car because that would be "a mod which could potentially cause someone undue harm."

Old 06-03-2013, 03:55 PM
BandB
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
No I'm not saying anyone here with an opposing viewpoint is going to be attacked. As I stated, I'm using the MINI version of the GM part that was brought up in this thread. But at the same time, I'm quite upset that it couldn't have been assembled in a better manner to which it wouldn't break if you don't get out of the car like a 8 foot giant (read: delicately). I applaud these guys for thinking outside the box, and while MINI may use a different seat belt setup than GM, I'm pretty sure this thing has been through crash testing to ensure that it is more than adequate at not disintegrating and stabbing pieces of plastic into people's necks. If there's one thing that GM does better then anyone else, it's plastic interiors.
Ditto. But in case anyone is interested, here is the link for the Highway Institute's crash results for a Cobalt. Take a close look at how the seat belt holder bends (at .29 seconds into the video) in the crash (quite a lot). This thing is not breaking. Link,
Also interesting the Mini crash video,
The seat belts and seats do behave in a similar manner suggesting a similar ballistic tensioner set up design/load. In neither do the headrest rods come out and impale the dummies.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
Yea I'm about to superglue the two pieces together of the MINI versions that I have. Hate having one side snap out when I go to get out of the car.
Yes done correctly they won't come apart, ever. Just rough up the parts to be joined a little with some fine sandpaper, clean everything, use fresh thin CA glue and let them sit overnight. Done and done.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
JDPaddle
3rd Gear
For the sake of argument... Isn't the Chevy Cobalt susceptible to any and all of the same safety issues using this set up. After all that car comes with these parts if I understand this post correctly. I'm not arguing. I sense a great deal of expertise behind GrayR and he/she may know something that the rest are missing.

To me it holds the seat belt where it should be. I want one. In ANY crash the forces will be strong enough to snap that piece regardless of which car it is on. The body it is restraining will be exerting force on it and the mechanism in all modern cars will "catch" to hold the belt. What's different in the MINI. BTW, I would be glad to buy the Mini brand if it did what it is supposed to do- Hold my belt where it should be without coming unglued (I shouldn't have to glue it to keep it in place) or coming apart or otherwise being compromised.
JD

Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Scooter-09'MCS
1st Gear
Kirby11...The MINI patches as just sewn on to my neoprene covers...Another cheap, but effective mod. Hope the patches don't snap off during an accident due to poor sewing technique.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Scooter-09'MCS
Kirby11...The MINI patches as just sewn on to my neoprene covers...Another cheap, but effective mod. Hope the patches don't snap off during an accident due to poor sewing technique.
Liked your patches too. I believe that you are in no danger from them however, in a crash you might have a problem with it coming off and permanently leaving an impression on your back. Not sure if your that much of an enthusiast (would make it easy to tattoo).

Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Well, I got mine in yesterday and put them in this morning. I really like the results.

Attached Thumbnails Best seat belt holders-image.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Reebus
4th Gear
Driver's side

Attached Thumbnails Best seat belt holders-image.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 01:44 PM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Reebus
Well, I got mine in yesterday and put them in this morning. I really like the results.
So question...Reebus yours are "upside" down compared to those shown by the OP....does anyone know which is the correct way?

Old 06-08-2013, 02:33 PM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINILLA
So question...Reebus yours are "upside" down compared to those shown by the OP....does anyone know which is the correct way?
Either way will work and it doesn't matter. Just depends on which you like. By reversing them, you can get them closer to the headrest (which I like the looks of a lot but as I said before, my wife wanted the extra distance for comfort).

Old 06-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
Yeah, I liked them closer to the headrests. Plus in the Clubman there isn't much room at all to extend it out much farther anyways. This is what was causing her the problem. The belt would be almost behind the seat and she couldn't get her hand between it and the pillar. That's where the #@*!!! words came in. This way it will always be next to her shoulder.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM
unibus_driver
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Reebus
Yeah, I liked them closer to the headrests. Plus in the Clubman there isn't much room at all to extend it out much farther anyways. This is what was causing her the problem. The belt would be almost behind the seat and she couldn't get her hand between it and the pillar. That's where the #@*!!! words came in. This way it will always be next to her shoulder.
So what happens with the passenger-side seat belt if you want to open the Clubdoor?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:51 PM
Reebus
4th Gear
It still "unwinds" with the door as you open it. It is a little more in the way but I don't think it really affects the access to the rear. If you like I can take a pic in the morning.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:09 PM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by unibus_driver
So what happens with the passenger-side seat belt if you want to open the Clubdoor?
You can get in with the seat belt still attached to the holder (as stated above it winds out and back with the door movement) but, if you look closely there is a small slit and you slip the seat belt in and out when you want to remove it completely.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:01 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I like this concept. Any idea if these things will fit ok on the R53? After the "normal" modding required of course. I found both sides on eBay for like $14 each, but still waiting to pull the trigger...

Old 06-09-2013, 01:29 PM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
I like this concept. Any idea if these things will fit ok on the R53? After the "normal" modding required of course. I found both sides on eBay for like $14 each, but still waiting to pull the trigger...
If the headrest has a post, it should work.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:31 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd like a metal, possibly black anodized one with no top edge.

Kinda like this _Headrest__________|

In that way the belt would be held but is less likely to get snagged and it's easy to unhook to get to the rear.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Jandreu
1st Gear
Will the same part fit an R55 Clubman? Drivers side only.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:46 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by joylove
I'd like a metal, possibly black anodized one with no top edge.

Kinda like this _Headrest__________|

In that way the belt would be held but is less likely to get snagged and it's easy to unhook to get to the rear.
I think the link you tried to post didn't make it through however, the belt will never snag with this one and is really easy to take off to get to the back seat.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It wasn't a link, I don't have a picture to post. I was trying to draw an elongated L shape metal part.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jandreu
Will the same part fit an R55 Clubman? Drivers side only.
My car is a Clubman and the part fits as pictured. The holders are ordered separately and can be used alone (see part # in previous posts).

Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM
BandB
1st Gear
Originally Posted by joylove
It wasn't a link, I don't have a picture to post. I was trying to draw an elongated L shape metal part.
I really don't think you would be disappointed with the way it functions, as long as you approve of how it looks.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Redhotz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anybody have an Ebay link for the GM seat belt holders? I couldn't find anything on them. Thanks

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Best seat belt holders