Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Doing a perfect projector retrofit on '11 R56

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by themitch22
Did you mount the projectors onto the halogen reflectors? I just cut a hole in the reflector and used silicon RTV to glue the Morimoto mini H1's directly to the reflectors, no way to rotate adjust it but I can use the x and y adjusters.
Look through the build and you'll see that I used a ton of JB Weld and JB Quik to hold everything together. It worked great and is still holding strong.

I too attached the projector to the reflector bowl. I did so without it touching anything else so I can just use the stock adjustment screws on the outside of the headlight housing to adjust the aim. It worked flawlessly.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:58 PM
JonsR56
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those lights look amazing calforhelp. I went to a shop in Alhambra and they quoted me almost $700.00 for morimoto projector convertion kit/hid incl installation. Awesome job on your lights.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:33 AM
Sok Sombath
Neutral
hey, nice one you got there.

Do you have any problem like weird flickering whenever you startup the engine?

I have this problem with 2012 Countryman. Does retrofitting from H13 stock halogen to D2S solve this problem?

Thanks before hand man!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Sok Sombath
Do you have any problem like weird flickering whenever you startup the engine?
Yep, I had a problem just like this. It was solved by a custom wiring harness.

I was getting a bulb out warning and the HIDs were flickering without being able to turn them on. This was with using a regular CAN-BUS harness from TheRetrofitSource. Matt over there had a harness custom made for me that takes power from the battery instead of the stock wiring. The harness included a capacitor to level out the flickering, and a load resistor to prevent a bulb warning on the low beams. The harness was $50 and works perfectly, I still use the OEM headlight switch to turn them on so it essentially works as stock.

Call TRS and ask for Matt. Tell him that you need the same custom harness that he made for a 2011 MINI Cooper S back in May '12. It was for order number 18817. It was a custom H13 harness made with a capacitor to level out the flickering.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:14 PM
s0n1c
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp
Yep, I had a problem just like this. It was solved by a custom wiring harness.

I was getting a bulb out warning and the HIDs were flickering without being able to turn them on. This was with using a regular CAN-BUS harness from TheRetrofitSource. Matt over there had a harness custom made for me that takes power from the battery instead of the stock wiring. The harness included a capacitor to level out the flickering, and a load resistor to prevent a bulb warning on the low beams. The harness was $50 and works perfectly, I still use the OEM headlight switch to turn them on so it essentially works as stock.

Call TRS and ask for Matt. Tell him that you need the same custom harness that he made for a 2011 MINI Cooper S back in May '12. It was for order number 18817. It was a custom H13 harness made with a capacitor to level out the flickering.
Do your high beams and flash-to-pass work? I have warning cancellers I used for the low beam, but had to leave them off the hi-beams because they wouldn't work if I connected them. So my lows and highs work (just a cut-off removal), but my car whines that my high beams are not working for both lights each time I start the car.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by s0n1c
Do your high beams and flash-to-pass work? I have warning cancellers I used for the low beam, but had to leave them off the hi-beams because they wouldn't work if I connected them. So my lows and highs work (just a cut-off removal), but my car whines that my high beams are not working for both lights each time I start the car.
Yep, everything works on the headlights as if they were stock. I don't remember where I used the load resistors to cancel out the bulb out warnings but I eventually coded the car to ignore the warnings and then took all of my resistors off.

It sounds like you just need your car coded to disable the bulb checks. If you're in the Los Angeles area, I provide this service for $20. If you're elsewhere search the forum for "NCS Expert Directory" to find a member near you!

Old 05-03-2022, 07:47 PM
OhNo2
Neutral
I am planning to do something similar to my 2013 MCS. Can you give me the diameter of the turn signal hole? I want to see if the part that I want will fit into it. I want to have an RGBW demon eye inside the dual projector that I can utilize as a turn signal.