Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Good times with 3M carbon vinyl - PICS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by callahan00
Hey. It looks great. Looks like you went non stop with the vinyl. I hope you stopped before you wrapped your dog in Carbon Fiber
Yup, I went a little nutz! Didn't wrap my dog, but that's not to say I haven't been wrapping non-car parts.
I mountain bike and found some very "convenient" uses for vinyl on some of my parts. I've collected a variety of vinyl colors/finishes so not everything is carbon. I don't like things to be too matchy-matchy, especially with a pattern like some carbon has, but the black carbon of this vinyl is nice and subtle.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by walk0080
Oh you are under warranty - Definitely try another dealership. I had mine replaced after 3 years no questions asked on my previous MINI. It is a well known issue.
I broke mine couple of weeks ago; tried painted it red...failed it sometimes get stuck in the ignition. So I called mini, and they wanted me to order a new one ... how did you get urs replace so many time ? my car is 2009 and pretty sure its under warranty still.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 PM
miniman2012
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how did you take off the taillight trim?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniman2012
how did you take off the taillight trim?
Wrap the end of a flat head screwdriver with something soft (ie electrical tape) and gently pry between the ring and the tail light itself. Slowly work around the inside and it will eventually begin to pop off. There are a series of clips you're releasing by doing this.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM
pitstop
Neutral
looks amazing!! just curious, is there much wind noise with the OEM base rack..with and without sunroof open? Thanks!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
The rack does add a little wind noise (although I've had it on for so long now I've forgotten what it was like without it.) I never mind it. Remember too, I have two Thule bike trays that add a little extra as well.
Sunroof open makes everything noisier.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
updated OP with shots of blacked-out Thule bike trays and complete stripes across the roof and down the back.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:17 PM
BullyR56
1st Gear
I've just stumbled upon this tread. I have to say I'm inspired to do try some wrapping myself. What wrapiings did you use primer on? What squeegees did you use/recommend? I plan on doing headlight rings, mirror caps, gas cap and beltline. Maybe some interior parts as well.

Last edited by BullyR56; 05-18-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM
walk0080
6th Gear
Nicely done as mentioned earlier. I like the updated pics.

Since I rarely use the rack right now I just can't get off my duff to give it a try for the moment.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BullyR56
I've just stumbled upon this tread. I have to say I'm inspired to do try some wrapping myself. What wrapiings did you use primer on? What squeegees did you use/recommend? I plan on doing headlight rings, mirror caps, gas cap and beltline. Maybe some interior parts as well.
I used 3m 94 primer on a few parts. I usually ran a small line of it on the backside edge. If remember correct, the only non-inside edge was the small indentation along the front and back sides of my roof racks.

Here are the tools I use the most (fingernail not pictured )

Name:  IMAG1053.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  28.1 KB

Originally Posted by walk0080
Nicely done as mentioned earlier. I like the updated pics.

Since I rarely use the rack right now I just can't get off my duff to give it a try for the moment.
If you any excess pieces or scraps, now's a good time to get "warmed up".

Old 05-19-2012, 09:45 AM
BullyR56
1st Gear
Did you take the headlight rings off when wrapping them? There is a video of the 3M rep doing mirror caps and headlight rings while on the car, obviously hes done that before! So the primer is used when you "tuck" the vinyl on the backside of the pieces? I also saw him use it on the trailing edge of the mirror caps.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Did you take the headlight rings off when wrapping them? There is a video of the 3M rep doing mirror caps and headlight rings while on the car, obviously hes done that before! So the primer is used when you "tuck" the vinyl on the backside of the pieces? I also saw him use it on the trailing edge of the mirror caps.
My headlight rings are currently Plastidip'd, however I plan to wrap them in the next few months and don't foresee any problems. I will most likely remove them from the car (easy to do) and spread a small line of primer on the backside before I "tuck" the vinyl. I tried wrapping my side mirror, but it was HORRIBLE! I saw a YouTube video where one guy held the mirror cap and two others quickly pulled a sheet of vinyl over it as fast/hard as they could. No thanks!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 AM
fatboy97
3rd Gear
Beautiful work!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't mind me asking Nate, did you get those stripes on your car from when you bought your car or did you have it done aftermarket? It looks sick.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 AM
11mcsaz
3rd Gear
Very well done Nate!

And kudos to you for continuing to answer questions and provide guidance to those that want to follow the trail you blazed.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:25 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fatboy97
Beautiful work!!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by RobMuntean
If you don't mind me asking Nate, did you get those stripes on your car from when you bought your car or did you have it done aftermarket? It looks sick.
They're aftermarket in the sense that I got a free scrap roll of red Oracal vinyl from a nearby vinyl shop (Sticker City), measured and cut 1/4" strips using a t-square and an Exacto knife. I laid blue painters tape where I wanted the stripes to go, then a little squirt of soapy water...laid the stripes down, smoothed out the bubbles and blow dried them. Once they were set, I tucked the edges into the trim and cut off the excess. Voila!

Custom stripes at $0. Nice things is, I have a bunch of left over vinyl to redo sections if they ever get ripped, etc. I actually had to remove my roof stripes since the entire roof is being re-painted today after I damaged it.

Originally Posted by 11mcsaz
Very well done Nate!

And kudos to you for continuing to answer questions and provide guidance to those that want to follow the trail you blazed.

Just paying it forward. I've received so much help over the years -thorough responses and photos have saved me a lot of time and money.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Eggmont
1st Gear
Thanks for the inspiration Nate. I might not start vinyl wrapping anything soon, but at least I learned about plasti dip! I Blacked out my front chrome by sanding, priming and spraying. I'm pretty happy with the result, but I still want to black out my wheels. Looks like I'll be plasti-dipping them in the next few weeks.

Tires are still newish so I wasn't planning on getting new black wheels until I needed new tires. I will definitely be looking into the carbon vinyl for some accents down the line. Your mini looks great!

Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eggmont
Thanks for the inspiration Nate. I might not start vinyl wrapping anything soon, but at least I learned about plasti dip! I Blacked out my front chrome by sanding, priming and spraying. I'm pretty happy with the result, but I still want to black out my wheels. Looks like I'll be plasti-dipping them in the next few weeks.

Tires are still newish so I wasn't planning on getting new black wheels until I needed new tires. I will definitely be looking into the carbon vinyl for some accents down the line. Your mini looks great!
Plasti Dip is a great way to temporarily blackout or test how something will look painted. My front headlight rings and bike trays are plastidip'd, but I plan to vinyl wrap the rings and powdercoat the trays this summer.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 AM
BullyR56
1st Gear
So my vinyl arrived yesterday and I jumped right in. I pulled off my gas cap to give it a go. Three tries later I finally started to get the hang of it. The finger pull is tricky to wrap and stretch without creases,for me atleast. I actually overstretched and tore it as I had multiple attempts to get it to lay down right. A few creases yet around the perimeter but I'm going to throw it on and see how it holds up. Hoping headlight rings will be easier.

Attached Thumbnails Good times with 3M carbon vinyl - PICS-img_20120525_114855.jpg   Good times with 3M carbon vinyl - PICS-img_20120525_114829.jpg  
Old 05-26-2012, 11:47 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
3M Scotchprint is the bees knees! I've used the CF film as well as the matte and gloss black. They all work about the same when applying.

Last edited by TerminalVelocity; 05-26-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 AM
BullyR56
1st Gear
Here is a shot of my headlight rings and washer caps i recently completed. I need a wider sheet of vinyl to mirror the pastern on the drivers side. I also broke one of the washer cap during removal Stupid cheap plastic lol..

Attached Thumbnails Good times with 3M carbon vinyl - PICS-img_20120525_193151.jpg   Good times with 3M carbon vinyl - PICS-img_20120525_191544.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
oldglamrocker
1st Gear
Awesome work, that's a great looking MCS!

Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Saleen190
Neutral
I ordered my vinyl CF wrap today. My plan is to CF wrap my roof, tail light/headlight bezzels, Gas cap and "hopefully" the door handles. Unfortunately I found this thread after I orderd my vinyl so I didnt go with 3m,,,, ordered some on ebay that I thought Looked pretty good and easy to apply by "their" videos lol.

This is really my first endeavor into messing with the mini, it sour daily driver and I usually spend most my time tinkering with the saleen so needless to say Im not very educated on how everything on this mini works? Do the headlight bezels/rings even come off? Any advice you experts can offer on removing these pieces (or leaving them on while trying this) would be GREATLY appreciated! Love what youve done with yours so far, nice work and very tasteful!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Really nice work . Woolsey / Black cyn one of my favorite " test tracks "

Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Three tries later I finally started to get the hang of it. The finger pull is tricky to wrap and stretch without creases,for me atleast. I actually overstretched and tore it as I had multiple attempts to get it to lay down right.
The finger pull was indeed the hardest part of the gas cap. Since the vinyl wants to gather in that area, I made a small overlap on the underside of the finger pull while trimming away some of the excess.

While mounted on the car, you wouldn't know the overlap existed but still bothers me so I may try to redo it one of these days.

Nice job on both the gas cap and headlight rings. They're next on my list but haven't decided between carbon and 3Ms new 1080 metallic black (for a more subtle look). Sorry to hear about the washer cover - repairable?

Originally Posted by Saleen190
Do the headlight bezels/rings even come off? Any advice you experts can offer on removing these pieces (or leaving them on while trying this) would be GREATLY appreciated! Love what youve done with yours so far, nice work and very tasteful!
Yes, the bezels and washer covers to come off. There are a series of clips that need to be pushed from the backside. Be careful with the washer cover since the two tabs need to be spread apart and are likely to break if you pull them too hard...just ask Bully

Originally Posted by maxmini
Really nice work . Woolsey / Black cyn one of my favorite " test tracks "
Can't wait to run it once I ditch these nearly worn-out run flats and put on the set of Continental DW that I have sitting in my garage.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Good times with 3M carbon vinyl - PICS