Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Engine Tempature Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PinoyMini
I wonder if this could work for iOS devices....
As far as I've been able to tell, bluetooth OBD readers won't work with the iPhone because the iPhone OS doesn't have the necessary drivers built in.

Wifi OBD adapters work great on the iPhone, however:

http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM
phoxx47
2nd Gear
I like the Garmin GPS with OBDII accessory that bluetooths temp, timing, load, inlet air temp,... to the GPS. With the Cravenspeed mount, it seems to fit into the scheme of things nicely. On the GPS display you can choose 5 gages to display at any time. I understand that it will read fault codes from the OBDII but I haven't had any occasion to use that feature. I find that the speedo display is useful since it seems to give the MPH accurately.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Rich2279
2nd Gear
Looks like it will do the job, but not the most stylish gauge. If would be nice if there were a round shaped one in the same price range.

Originally Posted by dking3
I did it, I got the UltraGauge, for $60, and it's fantastic. Installation is very easy, although I'm not totally happy with the Velcro solution I've started with. The gauge works great, was easy to setup, and the menu structure is very easy to use, I'd say it's "intuitive." If you're 10% geek, get one, you'll enjoy it. The water temperature is the main reason I got it, but the boost pressure, and other read-outs (there's a total of 6 on each of 3 pages) can be fun, too. I'll repost with an image when I've decided on the final attachment approach. -- Dave

Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DneprDave
I just put some Marshal gages in my MINI. Boost/Vacuum, water temp, oil pressure, oil temp.

I made the gage pods out of some 2"ABS sewer pipe and 1/8" aluminum sheet stock I had on hand.

Dave
this is cool!

Old 04-05-2013, 07:04 AM
ASKtheteach
5th Gear
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
I bought a 2012 Countryman (non-S) three weeks ago, and added a ScanGauge II last week. Super easy plug and play install. Took 5 minutes. It actually took me longer to decide where to mount it (on dash near lower left corner of the windscreen) than to plug it in/set it up. I've got mine reading engine temp, voltage, intake air temp, and MPG). Very satisfied so far. The red lighting matches the stock gauge lighting perfectly.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
MINImalistnam
3rd Gear
scanguage E just installed

I just installed a ScanGuage E on my 08 MCS. All I wanted was a temp gauge. Dealer had just replaced the leaking thermostat housing after some leakage and I was worried about lost coolant. The E gauge cost $100.53 on Amazon including shipping. Works great. Why spend an extra $70 ?
Installation: Experimented a bit, wound up making my own mounting bracket. Took a big hose clamp, cut off about 3 inches of the thin strap. Threw away the screw assembly. Inserted a gutter (large) nail into the third slot from the end of the 'strap' and pounded a screw hole. Using a 90 degree phillips, patiently took off the left screw on the back of the speedo pod. Put the screw thru the hole in the strap, tightened back down. Put the gummy female velcro on the 'bracket' and the matching male velcro on the back of the ScanGuage E. Pressed on. Holds nicely since the strap is mostly metal. Tucked the wire into the slot underneath the steering wheel. Connected to the OCB lower left, just under the dash, after removing the cap. Voila, I've saved about $500 by DYI instead of the dealer doing it. And it looks fine.

Last edited by MINImalistnam; 04-24-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Rich2279
2nd Gear
Can you post some pics?

Originally Posted by MINImalistnam
I just installed a ScanGuage E on my 08 MCS. All I wanted was a temp gauge. Dealer had just replaced the leaking thermostat housing after some leakage and I was worried about lost coolant. The E gauge cost $100.53 on Amazon including shipping. Works great. Why spend an extra $70 ?
Installation: Experimented a bit, wound up making my own mounting bracket. Took a big hose clamp, cut off about 3 inches of the thin strap. Threw away the screw assembly. Inserted a gutter (large) nail into the third slot from the end of the 'strap' and pounded a screw hole. Using a 90 degree phillips, patiently took off the left screw on the back of the speedo pod. Put the screw thru the hole in the strap, tightened back down. Put the gummy female velcro on the 'bracket' and the matching male velcro on the back of the ScanGuage E. Pressed on. Holds nicely since the strap is mostly metal. Tucked the wire into the slot underneath the steering wheel. Connected to the OCB lower left, just under the dash, after removing the cap. Voila, I've saved about $500 by DYI instead of the dealer doing it. And it looks fine.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:48 AM
extranrg
1st Gear
This looks great! I just bought a 2016 Countryman JCW and was looking to add a few gauges. How did you attach your mounting plate to the existing tach?

Old 01-02-2017, 09:05 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by extranrg
This looks great! I just bought a 2016 Countryman JCW and was looking to add a few gauges. How did you attach your mounting plate to the existing tach?
There are three screws on the back of the tach. The Marshall gages are so light, I ended up using only the top screw, the bottom of the mount rests on the steering column. I didn't even remove the tachometer, I was able to reach the top screw with a very short screwdriver. I also used a longer screw, that I got at a hardware store, and matched the threads with the stock tachometer screw.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:11 PM
dking3
1st Gear
I changed out the Velcro attachment of my UtraGauge for piece of Aluminum sheet, bent to the curved shape of the Speedometer, and sheet metal screwed it to the underside. RTV bonded the meter to the price of Al sheet. Wish I could attach a photo.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:15 AM
InkyCabreras
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dking3
I did it, I got the UltraGauge, for $60, and it's fantastic. Installation is very easy, although I'm not totally happy with the Velcro solution I've started with. The gauge works great, was easy to setup, and the menu structure is very easy to use, I'd say it's "intuitive." If you're 10% geek, get one, you'll enjoy it. The water temperature is the main reason I got it, but the boost pressure, and other read-outs (there's a total of 6 on each of 3 pages) can be fun, too. I'll repost with an image when I've decided on the final attachment approach. -- Dave
I ended up using a pop socket to mount mine and it worked great.. I put the adhesive side that goes to the phone on the piece of dash next to the cluster and added the Velcro to the opposite side. Makes for good Mount I can easily remove the ultragauge or make adjustments..