Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Grille Badges v. rear badges

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grille Badges v. rear badges

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about getting some cool badges for my Chile Red 2010 Clubman. I am concerned about grille badges being attached and causing corrosion to the shiny chrome grille. Has anyone ever experienced this, or am I being paranoid? Also, how difficult is it for a non-mechanical person like me to install grille badges herself? As an alternative, I was thinking that the license plate rear badge holders would be the easier option to go with, but I rarely see any on the road. Does anyone have rear badges and like or hate them? I would love to hear from you!

Have a great day!

wpb mini

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM
amberback
5th Gear
My grill badge holder was a pain to install, we had to unclip part of the grill and it was difficult to line up and get the screws right because the screws are straight and the grill is tilted. (I have an 2010 R56.)

I ordered mine from Outmotoring, and also had to go get my own screws because the ones he sent weren't long enough for the R56 grill.

It wasn't easy... and I was happy to have my dad there to help.

Also, if you have a 2007-2009 I don't think the holes are there and you have to drill holes into the plastic behind the grill. The 2010s have it though thanks to the 50th anniversary badges.

I have seen these online: http://www.gobadges.com/
They look easier to put on... but i have no experience with them.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Baron Ken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by amberback
I have seen these online: http://www.gobadges.com/
They look easier to put on... but i have no experience with them.
Was very easy to do and looks great.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
wahoo_shoe
4th Gear
I'm wondering the same thing. I think I'll go for a MINI-esqe front badge, but I've already got plans for a custom rear badge (MarioKart blue shell picture goes with my plates). I've seen ones where they're magnetic, I'm wondering if it'll scratch up the paint. I can see it now, some ******* kid tries to rip it off/steal it, and my paint gets all effed up. Bad news bears

Old 09-07-2010, 08:29 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
grille badges v. rear badges

Hi there-

thanks to those who responded to my question about the badges. Those badges from gobadges.com seem really easy to install, and I was considering those, but am still a little concerned about the chrome grille getting messed up if I ever want to remove the badge. Has anyone had any problems with that? And it's funny that whaoo_shoe mentioned the possibility of the badges getting stolen. My husband mentioned it to me. Has anyone experienced that or heard of that happening?

thanks again,
wpb mini

Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM
smurfette26
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have to have a front plate, the plate badge holders work just fine there too. I have the four badge holder and the three badge holder. What can I say, I really like badges!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Porthos
http://www.minibee62.com/Build-a-Badge-p/bab.htm > GO BADGE any day of the week.
Best Badge Holder Out there IMHO is the above from MINIBee and they look like the originals that were made way back when. They are the Gear shape which looks much better than any one elses holders.

Now as for the actual badges them selves I like the Domed Badges from Go Badges for durability. They have lasted a lot longer than any other magnetic badge I have had and they fit the MINIBee badge holder very well.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
bruno787
2nd Gear
i have gobadges too, easy to fit and reposition bcoz its just velcro, it stays put and has a rubber backing so i doubt it will scratch. it look like the oem 50th badge on the camden and mayfair.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty sure the 'chrome' grille is all plastic, so there's nothing to corrode.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
grille badges v. rear badges

Hi all-

everyone has been so helpful-thanks so much! I think I may have to go with the go badges velcro mounting kit, even though I like the gear shaped, old school style at the minibee site. Before I decide, I wonder if schatzy62 could let me know how the minibee build a badge holder is installed? I have not seen any instructions on the website, but the fact that the website talks about hardware, I am afraid that it would require me taking the grille off and screwing the badge holder in place. . . And thanks to grueinthebox for reminding me that the chrome is not really chrome at all. . . duh!

thanks again
wpb mini

Old 09-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Seeing that I have too BaB from MiniBee I can tell you. First, the grille is super easy to take off and you won't screw it up. Second, it has a screw and nut that fit in the back of the badge and are tighten down around the grille. I think it took me 5 to 10 minutes per badge. Third, I think that it is the most professional looking badge available right now.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:28 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
thanks to all

You were all so cool to respond to my questions. I wound up going with Go Badges, and they were easy for me to install by myself. I'll have to upload a picture to show them off!

thanks again
wpb mini

Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 PM
wpb mini
5th Gear
my new badges

thanks again!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
GeorgeG
Neutral
Rear badge holder

For what it is worth, several years ago I purchased a double badge holder from Cooper Flags. I mounted it to the rear license plate frame. Using a screwdriver, it took less than five minutes to install. Cooper Flags sells the magnetic badges and I change them out periodically. I park the car in public parking lots and no one has ever stolen them. The only downside comes when washing the car. It is hard to get behind the badge holder to wash that portion of the body.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 AM
STi2Mini
3rd Gear
Mini Bee's Build-A-Badge is awesome!! It was super easy to install and looks great!!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:23 AM
wpb mini
5th Gear
thanks

GeorgeG and Sti2Mini: thanks for the suggestions. Since I already got the badges for the grille, maybe I should add more to the boot? Maybe that would that be overkill? . . .