Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior Chrome hood scoop warped, how to stop next scoop from warping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 AM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrome hood scoop warped, how to stop next scoop from warping?

I put the chrome scoop on my car, and its been about 3 months, and now it is warping/buckling/chrome peeling bigtime, in the center. It sticks up over the hood now about 1/4". I am going to put my factory color matched one back on. Does the JCW CF scoop warp also? Was thinking about going that route. Anyone with the CF scoop on, how has yours held up?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
When I replaced my scoop on my '08 last year under warranty, I asked the dealership if I could replace it with a carbon fiber version.

They agreed for an add'l 100 bucks so I did.

Even so, it didn't "warp" but it did sink in a bit and you could tell where the clips were located underneath.

I ended up painting the carbon fiber to match my car but this time when I did the bodywork and smoothed it out, I opened up the grille openings in the black mesh grille.

It seemed to work as my scoop never warped again and when I bought my '09, I did the same thing to my mellow yellow mesh grille.

The scoop never warped and eventually I installed an M7 fiberglass.

My suggestion is to cut out the remaining mesh spots on the little black grille.

Mark

Old 05-25-2010, 11:11 AM
eR1c
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the M7 heat shield w/ CF hood scoop. Hood is not even warm after long drive. The M7 heat shield has a heat absorbing material that literally absorbs the heat from the turbo.

Prior to installation my hood was too hot to even touch. I read about this before I got my MINI, so this was one of hte first mod's I did. Until I installed the heat shield I used to pop open my hood to release the heat.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 AM
tvrgeek
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The M7 shield does not absorb heat, it is insulation, preventing it from reaching the hood. I would wonder if it has a side effect of raising the temps of the turbo and plumbing. The heat has to go somewhere.

There are several other less high tech solutions.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
Hockeygirl
Neutral
Originally Posted by rans09vert
I put the chrome scoop on my car, and its been about 3 months, and now it is warping/buckling/chrome peeling bigtime, in the center. It sticks up over the hood now about 1/4". I am going to put my factory color matched one back on. Does the JCW CF scoop warp also? Was thinking about going that route. Anyone with the CF scoop on, how has yours held up?
I'm on hood scoop #2 and that one is starting to bubble at the center exterior portion again... I'll be calling the dealer to replace under warranty again!

Old 07-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's a solution:

Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Wow, wonder where they got the metal scoop from? I like that idea...

Mark

Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
That scoop is right above the turbocharger. So any heat coming off the turbo, especially after stopping the car when there is no air flow, is likely to go out the vents in the scoop, heating the whole plastic scoop. Maybe a cool down lap, (drive slowly the last 1/2 mile to your parking spot), would allow the turbo to cool before putting the car away.

Or you could get the turbo heat shield from Way Motor Works.

http://www.waymotorworks.com/wmw-turbo-heat-shield.html

Dave

Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The solution is to get the replacement part from MINI and let them fix their own problem!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
ALTA_Jarid
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
The solution is to get the replacement part from MINI and let them fix their own problem!
+1 It is a warranty issue!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
They are warrantying the hood scoop right now with the CF one. They did mine last week.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM
fastring
1st Gear
My wifes 2007 was ordered with the chrome scoop. It bubbled and she had it replaced under warranty. Its been less than a year and the second one is bubbling. We will just install the blue factory one that came in a box with the car. I'll probably sand down the chrome one and paint it black to match the stripes to see how it looks...

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
They are warrantying the hood scoop right now with the CF one. They did mine last week.
Man I need to jump on this train

Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Sparks
2nd Gear
I'm on my 3rd one which was just painted by the dealership. Past the 30k warranty but they're still honoring it.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:32 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
My dealer refused a CF scoop for me. I called miniusa and they said they would let me know. They refused. I am on my 3rd scoop since October!

Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Well I talked to my dealer today about the warping hood scoop. The funny part was he straight up told me if they replaced it with another plastic one it would probably warp again and again. Then he told me that Mini has not come out with a permanent fix yet and to try and get the hood scoop replaced right before my warranty expired if it was warped again at that time. I then suggested the carbon fiber hood scoop as a better solution to the problem because it resists heat a little better than plastic does. He told me he had never heard of that solution and it sounded like a good idea. I set my appt with the dealership on Friday, so I will find out then if they will give the carbon fiber hood scoop to me or I can at least pay the difference. I will report back

Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, everyone.

As always, I'm learning a lot when I visit here.

My chrome hood scoop is showing signs of sort of cracking and peeling. In a couple of weeks, I'll have had the car 2 years. When I go for my service, I will ask about a replacement scoop.

Forgive my ignorance, but what are we looking at in Post #6? Was the scoop sanded down and painted body color? I'm having a hard time discerning that.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
I just did a little looking and MINI is now only selling the chrome hood scoop with the heat shield on its accessories site. Interesting. I'll be sure to ask about this.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I had a look at mine, it has a metal heat shield screwed to the underside of the hood scoop.

Dave

Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
^ Thanks for checking. MINImania also sells the scoop only with the heat shield. Here's a photo of it:

scoop link: http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/g2.../invDetail.cfm

heat shield link: http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/G2.../InvDetail.cfm

It explicitly mentions the need for the "insulation" due to heat from the turbo melting the scoop.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My hood scoop warped after 20k miles (well that is when i noticed it). Dealer swapped it for a carbon fiber one for $135.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:52 PM
flannelhippie
5th Gear
I've got it. Dont get an ugly chrome hood scoop.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM
blitzed310
2nd Gear
Let's not forget this is warranty. I took mine in for replacement and they gave me a new scoop, I didn't like the way it was painted so they let me keep it anyway since it was cheaper to get a new one for the shop. So I will have a spare once I get the next one back from paint. They also told me that the part has 2 year warranty from deformation. So in 2 years if it's bad I'll get it replaced.

Might not be a bad idea to spring for some reflective insulating tape if you do not want to go the heatsheild route.

FYI the dealer told me it's cheaper to get the CF one for them since they have to send out the plastic one for paint. I would definitely not allow them to charge me, if the CF one is the only one that wont warp then they need to provide that. I was tempted to argue my way into a painted CF one, but it was my first visit to the dealer and I didn't want to be that guy, but next time if it happens, they will replace it, or they will have to deal with my persistent a-holeness.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:13 PM
bettehead
3rd Gear
I made an app't for scheduled service and told the service advisor about the warping and that I understand it's being replaced under warranty and with a heat shield to prevent this from reoccuring. She confirmed this and said it will be replaced free of charge and a new heat shield will be installed under it.

Fingers crossed! I get it done 3rd week in December, so we'll see.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
More pics of molded hood scoop. Please!

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior Chrome hood scoop warped, how to stop next scoop from warping?