Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OK here goes: Remove Chrono, install Speedo?

Old 10-15-2009, 12:15 PM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK here goes: Remove Chrono, install Speedo?

I have searched, and while I've seen a lot of conjecture and vague "I don't think so"s or "it would cost less to just trade in your car"s, I haven't seen a definitive, comprehensive explanation here.

I am buying a Mini with a Chrono pack. I'd rather have a big speedo. That's all.

The wiring harnesses may be different, but it would seem to be a reasonable assumption that every pin between the computer(s) and the gauges is used in one place or another in both setups, thus meaning that re-harnessing, or even creating a harness adapter, would be possible.

What I'd like to know is, in detail, 1. what would need to be done, and 2. what the dealbreakers are and *why*.

As for those who have said it would be cheaper to just buy another car, I can't fathom that this modification would cost $20k.

Parts would be, what:
- big speedo itself
- single-pod tach for steering column
- wiring harness

correct?

I'm sorry to post another thread about this, but every one that I've read has gone cold without an actual, definitive answer.

Cheers
Dave

Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
ricbow
5th Gear
re flash the ecu .. more problems than its worth....

Old 10-15-2009, 12:33 PM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
But that's another one-sentence answer

why and how is a computer reflash 'more problems than it's worth'?

Old 10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think the dealer, or anyone besides the ECU maker is capable of reprogramming the thing to work with the new speedometer. You could ask the dealer about it, but they might scoff at you or try to offer you a trade-in.

Perhaps you could acquire a salvage MINI ECU and wiring harness, as well as the other gauges. It would be simple drop in type installation, I would imagine. Unless each ECU is coded to work only with it's matching components. But then what would happen if you had to replace some part that plugs into the ECU? Like a throttle body, wheel speed sensor, various senders, etc. It works just fine. So I don't think the parts are coded.

I know that there are some places in the country that specialize in MINI salvage, among others. I don't have any links though.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:36 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - looking at RealOEM again, I don't think the harness is different - it only lists one instrument panel harness for my car, not different ones based on whether you have speedo or chrono or nav options.

I believe I've read fairly recently *somewhere* that others have done this - and believe it was as simple as swapping the gauge clusters, reprogramming the ECU options (basically turning OFF the chrono pack option in the programming, which must be done by the dealer) and done.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 PM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
OK - looking at RealOEM again, I don't think the harness is different - it only lists one instrument panel harness for my car, not different ones based on whether you have speedo or chrono or nav options.

I believe I've read fairly recently *somewhere* that others have done this - and believe it was as simple as swapping the gauge clusters, reprogramming the ECU options (basically turning OFF the chrono pack option in the programming, which must be done by the dealer) and done.

So if this is the case with just 1 harness, then swapping from the nav package to the chrono Package shoud pretty much just be plug and play? as I am thinking of doing that swap out as I find the nav pretty useless unless you update it. My Blackberry Nav works better and also has trapster on it which I fond very useful on long trips

Old 10-15-2009, 04:55 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Sure as heck looks like it. In all three cases, you have an "instrument cluster" (which contains the IKE) and a "satellite" gauge cluster (either the tach, or the combo tach/speedo).

Really looks like swaps should be plug, program and play.

First step would be to find a dealer service dept even willing to talk about it - and willing to look in their GT1 and see if they can find the option to switch instrument types. If so, and if they're willing to do it for a standard reprogramming charge (usually an hour of labor) then you're golden.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a buddy who did the exact same thing on his R53 and it was a simple plug and play swap. I just wish all the other MINI retro's were that simple.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Oxy - the R53 is the 1st gen S Coupe, no? if so then my R52 S cabrio *should* be similar if not exactly the same.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
No difference in terms of electronics.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by OXYBLUECOOP
I have a buddy who did the exact same thing on his R53 and it was a simple plug and play swap.
Did he need dealer coding, and did he use a new or used speedo?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Did he need dealer coding, and did he use a new or used speedo?
It was a used speedo and no a trip to the dealer for coding was not needed.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Interesting - Oxy, did he replace the tach pod atop the steering column as well?

BTW I'm just outside DC myself - don't suppose your friend would be willing to assist with a more detailed recounting of his swap, would he?

Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
The column gauge cluster was replaced with a used tach as well. If you need help removing the speedo and chrono gauge cluster I can post a pdf.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 AM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Thanks Oxy - that said, I'm still going to have to get someone more "professional," i guess, on the case - I don't have the first inkling or ounce of confidence in disassembling car interiors.

Is this 100% confirmed now, though, that, at least on a 1st Gen Cooper S, it 1. can be done, 2. doesn't require wiring changes, and 3. doesn't need encoding?

Old 10-16-2009, 09:57 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Oxy is the first person I've heard who said that programming wasn't required. I've heard differently elsewhere. I have no personal experience either way... so if Oxy's buddy did it without, I guess it works.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:44 PM
chaseabryant
4th Gear
What year is your MINI? I have an '03 with a standard gauge setup, I know how to take apart the dashes for '02-'04 models, and I live in the DC metro area (Calvert County, MD) so if you want to get together and do a compatibility test, I am more than willing...

The only think that I think you will need to do is visit the dealer to have the mileage readout adjusted... does anybody know if the mileage is actually stored in the Speedo/Tach housing, or if it is in the ECU and the Tach/Speedo simply displays the readings?

-Chase

Old 10-16-2009, 12:46 PM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Mine is an 05 S convertible, so that might work. I'll wait until I actually *have* the car in my possession first, it's a few days away still!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd guess that the mileage data is stored within the computer. If it was stored in the speedo assembly, one could replace it with a new part and have a car with zero miles.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The mileage is stored in 3 places

BCU
Centre Instrument Pack
Engine ECU

If any one is replaced it reads the mileage from the other 2.
When I fitted OE Sat Nav I had to get each new instrument pack (centre & column) coded to my car to work correctly.
But SatNav to Chrono should be a plug & play swap but you may still need to get the Chrono coded to your car.
The sell your Sat Nav computer to pay for the chrono!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:27 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chaseabryant
What year is your MINI? I have an '03 with a standard gauge setup, I know how to take apart the dashes for '02-'04 models, and I live in the DC metro area (Calvert County, MD) so if you want to get together and do a compatibility test, I am more than willing...

The only think that I think you will need to do is visit the dealer to have the mileage readout adjusted... does anybody know if the mileage is actually stored in the Speedo/Tach housing, or if it is in the ECU and the Tach/Speedo simply displays the readings?

-Chase
I have an 04 MCS with the nav setup, I took out my speedo and tach a few weeks back and sent out to have Blue LEds installed, I set my scan guage to RPMs and MPH while the speedo and tach were out, I had no issues, when I put the speedo and tach back on everything worked fine and the new mileage came up on the odometer, so for sure that information is not stored in the Speedo cluster.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 AM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
The mileage is stored in 3 places

BCU
Centre Instrument Pack
Engine ECU

If any one is replaced it reads the mileage from the other 2.
When I fitted OE Sat Nav I had to get each new instrument pack (centre & column) coded to my car to work correctly.
But SatNav to Chrono should be a plug & play swap but you may still need to get the Chrono coded to your car.
The sell your Sat Nav computer to pay for the chrono!
Uhhhhh... in this thread I'm looking to eliminate the Chrono, and put IN the regular bigol' speedometer.

At any rate, I still don't know 100% if it's doable; the responses here have raised my hopes but I need to absolutely KNOW for sure.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:09 AM
daveonbass
2nd Gear
Let me change the direction of the questioning here:

Who is there that I can ask about this possibility? There must be a living, breathing human on this planet that can simply say "Yes, and here is exactly what it entails" or "No, it's not possible."

Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 AM
wyefye
2nd Gear
fyi....

I have a friend who has a 2005mcs with sat nav
I have a 2006 mcs with big *** speedo.

me and my friend switched parts, all plug and play(!).

The issue here is that that center "part" being a speedo, sat nav, chrono, w/e, is coded to operate your clusters above the steering wheel... namely the single tach or dual tach speedo pack. switching parts, like from a dual gauge pod to a single tach(or v/v) will not work. the indicator lights will be borked.

Also, though the mileage is stored in the BCU, ECU and Center Pod, the pod does not seem to read it from the BCU or ECU. thus, does not update the mileage read out.

My experience from the mini dealer is this:

The parts are coded to your vin. switching parts will not work, though from our experience, everything seems to go back to that center console (even brake lights!). so if its different, or damaged, things may not operate properly... even the odd stuff that your would expect would have nothing to do with that part. Mini seems to be very inflexible and unsupporting about switching out electronic parts. they offer no warranty on parts that are not installed from factory, though you buy the part from them.

If your willing to part with about 500.00 for a center pod to get your tach/speedo working, they still will not guarantee that the coding will work. so its kinda a hit or miss. the service tech said that 9/10 times it will code fine, but they wont take the part back if it codes badly, meaning your out the money.

just from my experience so far... lol

-trying to install car pc in factory nav screenhole-

-Ryan

Last edited by wyefye; 10-20-2009 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the plot thickens...

Ryan, why not use the factory NAV screen, it's RGB with sync on green?

Interesting discussion here for sure....

Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior OK here goes: Remove Chrono, install Speedo?