Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior OK here goes: Remove Chrono, install Speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:32 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
@ ellcapitan,

Chrono to Sat Nav is straight swap of centre instrument pack.
To correct the mileage get the new Sat Nav pack coded to your car by a dealer.
BTW I have just fitted a 7" VGA Lilliput screen into an OE Sat Nav pack as well, for my CarPC.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 AM
bioshift
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have any pics of the 7" Lilliput screen in a 6.4" space?
mini don't want to touch a recode with something that was not on your car from the factory. We have stated this i even have a friend that works at the dealer in parts they don't want you to buy something and have it coded then it not work for you car and then you want to return it so there for they wont touch it.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
bioshift
1st Gear
but then again if anyone wants my navi for there chrono gauge i would be more then happy to pull it all out for you.
I mean if you don't mind that the mileage will be off until you key or you ecu decides to tell your gauges the correct numbers lol.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 AM
alpinamike
5th Gear
How about a Stock Speedo center to NAV, I have most of the parts, was going to do this a while back, but you need the SAT/Chrono harness w/ HK amp Trimble wire and Trimble SAT 3 plug antenna. I have the Mickey mouse pack , the NAV screen w/o surround and the MK3 Nav driver that goes under the seat w/ Nav Disc for MINI.

Most dealerships wont code my car for this or even know how to code for this.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:43 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Old thread but I purchased a cable / software package that is supposed to let me re-code various modules in my Mini.

I will test some of the features, and see if there's any option to change the vin or coding of the center module.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:47 PM
MyMiniGidget
2nd Gear
Okay, well due to a water leak from the sunroof, i had my BCU replaced about a week ago at WayMotorWorks. He used the super programming thing that mini uses to code everything. Like turning on the comfort open and close, coding the keys basically everything that "only" mini can do. And I believe its his.

I have read *somewhere* (either here or mini2) that as long as you have the vin number of the car the part came from and your vin that you can recode the part. I was from some guy who replaced the bigass gauge with the chrono package.

I live in Ga so its a bit of a drive for you guys but I am going probably going down this weekend to have my second key recoded (only gave him one... woops). So I'll ask Way if its possible for him to change the vin number that is supposedly "embedded" into the the center cluster.

Old 11-17-2011, 06:51 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyMiniGidget
Okay, well due to a water leak from the sunroof, i had my BCU replaced about a week ago at WayMotorWorks. He used the super programming thing that mini uses to code everything. Like turning on the comfort open and close, coding the keys basically everything that "only" mini can do. And I believe its his.

I have read *somewhere* (either here or mini2) that as long as you have the vin number of the car the part came from and your vin that you can recode the part. I was from some guy who replaced the bigass gauge with the chrono package.

I live in Ga so its a bit of a drive for you guys but I am going probably going down this weekend to have my second key recoded (only gave him one... woops). So I'll ask Way if its possible for him to change the vin number that is supposedly "embedded" into the the center cluster.
were you able to ask way about this? Just a question, sorry if putting this thread again. I just need to buy the chrono items that came with the same car? or is it possible to have 2 donor cars, one has the chrono center speedo, while the 2nd car has the dual tach (reason i'll try to look for a dual tach that has almost the same miles as mine)? mine is a 2005 mcs with the ordinary speedo, i would like to change it with a chronopack.

thanks

Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 PM
Mod-Mini
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old thread, looking to swap from sat nav to chrono pack for a 2006 R53. Can I use a used gauge (and accept mileage of the donor car) or must it be brand new part? Anyone done this?

Car already has double tach/speedo on top of steering column. I have NCSExpert as well (not that good at using it)

Thanks,

Old 02-14-2017, 04:42 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 264 Likes on 210 Posts
the parts are coded. The center cluster has the KOMBI ecu in it. I've heard there's shops in europe that can zero out the vin on the center cluster KOMBI ecu so you can code it as new and set the miles properly with ista/p

there are DIY's for bmw's, you have to remove a chip and put in a new/blank one I really need to revisit this project

Old 05-05-2017, 10:53 AM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
This thread brings me lots of joy! I've always wanted chrono (not that it's very useful or accurate.. just looks cool). The nav is both ugly and useless, minus the fact that you get a couple useful readouts displayed. An iPhone is much better for navigation.

One thing remains unclear: will the mileage update itself after swapping from nav to chrono?

thanks!

Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 AM
burley
6th Gear
Well.. I pulled the trigger and picked up a chrono to install in place of my nav. I'll let you know how it goes, it'll arrive today and Im installing this afternoon.

If successful, I'll have a factory nav for sale very soon! I also have another chrono for sale (somehow I forgot I already bought one.. Don't ebay while drinking, lol). $150 each (what I paid).

Quick question to anyone who has Chrono: Where will outside temp be displayed? Currently its displayed on center nav screen, and I didn't notice the display on the Chrono. My dual pod only displays miles, trip, time, and miles to empty. I'm guessing I'll lose ambient temp and ave. MPG readout?

Old 05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
burley
6th Gear
UPDATE: Swapped out the Chrono and everything works! Mostly. The TCS triangle is lit up and the mileage is now 111k instead of 83k. Whoops.

Further update: I wanted to experiment to see where milage was stored. I put 2 miles on the new to me chrono, and then put the old nav back in and the milage stayed the same.

Also, I now have the TCS and TPM lights on.. with either nav or chrono setup. WTH?? Wife is pissed, lol. Not a fan of random lights on dash.

Last edited by burley; 05-11-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Swapped out the Chrono and everything works! Mostly.
That's generally what happens when swapping in a different, used gauge. It will kinda, sorta work. The mileage may be off and warning lights might not work correctly.

Read mega72's post, which has relevant information. I haven't heard of this type of gauge swap working correctly except by using a brand new, uncoded gauge. You have a chrono that has been initialized with the donor car's VIN and configuration. It might be possible to flash the memory chip in the chrono and make it operate like a new, uncoded unit — but I haven't heard of anyone actually doing this. Even you had a brand new chrono, it is not a plug-and-play swap and your car would have to be coded for it. Currently your car is programmed for a Nav unit, which doesn't work exactly the same way.

As for the odometer, I've read that the mileage is stored in 3 different places (I believe also in the ECU and BCM) and the car uses the highest value it finds.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:52 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
you can probably get rid of the errors by coding the chrono pack option with ista/p it'll recode the modules properly. It will not fix the mile issue, I would not drive it like it is, you'll be stuck with high miles or a vin mile tamper warning dot, that's how bmw's do it at least.

or revert back and clear the errors, ista/d can clear all those errors

Old 05-11-2017, 07:54 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
As for the odometer, I've read that the mileage is stored in 3 different places (I believe also in the ECU and BCM) and the car uses the highest value it finds.
I pulled the nav with 83k and drove 2 miles with the chrono with 117k. When I put the nav back in the mileage was unchanged. If the car displays the highest of the 3, it would have displayed the 2 extra miles when I put the nav back in.

What is this "vin mile tamper warning dot" you speak of?

I would be fine ignoring the incorrect milage if I put the nav unit back in (and it displayed the actual mileage) before selling it actually displayed the correct mileage. I wouldn't want to deceive anyone.

Last edited by burley; 05-11-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:14 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
if the ecu's detect mile tampering they put a warning dot on the gauge so people know the miles displayed are not real.

I'm not sure how long you have to drive to trigger it

Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Last I knew, you must program the chrono package at dealer after new install. But was under impression if the component came from a donor car, (Not brand new ) the mileage will not revert to what is actual for car it was installed....I'll search around for info on it.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:40 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
I did some research and found I was correct. When the MINI receives the chrono package either at the factory or as new retrofit purchase from dealer, the VIN number is burned into the unit. It's a tampering issue.

So if you purchase the chrono package components used, it will always show donor cars mileage and vin.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:49 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Originally Posted by burley
UPDATE: Swapped out the Chrono and everything works! Mostly. The TCS triangle is lit up and the mileage is now 111k instead of 83k. Whoops.

Also, I now have the TCS and TPM lights on.. with either nav or chrono setup. WTH?? Wife is pissed, lol. Not a fan of random lights on dash.
The MINI is detecting component installed with non-matching vin. Vin is burned into the donor unit and no way to fix this.

Maybe check to see if MINI or ECS Tuning has any more chrono retrofit kits available.

It will have to be a new kit to make this swap work effectively.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:26 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep,

+1 They are blank and then have to be updated/burn to vin. I found this out when I had the slow clock issue back in 2005 and had to have remore stock main speedo replaced, it had to be recoded new. The little orange dot appears near the mileage if someone tampers with the speedo to like change/hack the mileage outside of the dealer.

We have some in stock for the chrono main cluster.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/instrament-cluster-chrono-center/62109126997/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-12-2017, 07:08 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep,

+1 They are blank and then have to be updated/burn to vin. I found this out when I had the slow clock issue back in 2005 and had to have remore stock main speedo replaced, it had to be recoded new. The little orange dot appears near the mileage if someone tampers with the speedo to like change/hack the mileage outside of the dealer.

We have some in stock for the chrono main cluster.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/instrament-cluster-chrono-center/62109126997/
Thanks for the help, I dont think I can swing $800, but thanks for posting.

What if I find a chrono with near my cars current mileage, and swap them when the day comes that my mileage is exactly the same as the unit? Then I could just clear the codes with ista/p?

I wonder how many people would even know what that little orange dot means. Not many I'm guessing. I'm sure its illegal and certainly unethical, but that wouldn't stop some people. Buyer beware!

On a side note, I purchased the chrono from one of our "part-out" companies for $150. If these units are basically worthless to any car besides the one it came from, we should enlighten them so they stop selling them.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
welcome.

People I know have asked this before and got one from a wrecked car close to their options, close to mileage, but still had issues with lights and the mileage not being correct. But I don't know if you can find one with all the same options year, and close to mileage. Also, did the little orange light come on?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
welcome.

People I know have asked this before and got one from a wrecked car close to their options, close to mileage, but still had issues with lights and the mileage not being correct. But I don't know if you can find one with all the same options year, and close to mileage. Also, did the little orange light come on?
Traction triangle and TPS lights both turned on. They clear automatically after driving when I reinstall the Nav.

I attempted to use odb2 scanner and clear codes, but they show nothing related to the lights on dash. Ignore the attachment, it only shows old codes from vacuum leak.

Attached Thumbnails OK here goes:  Remove Chrono, install Speedo?-2017-05-11_16-39-41_000.png  
Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yep, its locked down.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:07 AM
burley
6th Gear
I received this reply from the seller. I've sent him a link to this thread and asked him to chime in. I dont know if this software he suggests clears the lights AND fixes the mileage issue.

Mike,

We just received your return request and I’m sorry that you are having trouble with the installation. We have sold these in the past to customers who are replacing a faulty one that was originally installed from the factory with no problems at all. We have also sold these in the past to customers who are upgrading to the full chrono pack kit (the center display, as well as the dual tach/speedo on the steering column) with no issues. They simply had to program the full kit to work.

For coding the full chrono pack kit, the following program was used: (eBay item # 262910607610)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-USB-OBD-...607610?vxp=mtr

After reading your comments, I just wanted to reach out and let you know that with the proper installation techniques, this part is able to be reused and sold second hand.

As soon as your order has been received back, we will process the refund for you. Again, I’m very sorry for the trouble this has caused you.

Thank you,

Dustin Akers
President, ALLMAG Auto Parts
Mini Cooper | BMW | VW | Land Rover
813-944-3244 |www.ALLMAGAutoParts.com
Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by burley; 05-12-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior OK here goes: Remove Chrono, install Speedo?