Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior "door trim" suggestions/help needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 12:04 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"door trim" suggestions/help needed

Hey there mini folks

Please look at the attached picture.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to paint/get that part(s) in white/siver? - Ive seen some minis have that in another color than this boring black i have..

Ive searched the forums for some answers, but no luck really...

Regards

Attached Thumbnails "door trim" suggestions/help needed-interiorr56.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It is not easy because of the shape to do much with them. They can come off the door panel but then putting them back on is very very difficult as you had to cut the plastic welds to get them off and there is very little plastic left to put them back on with.

and it looks like they are not available as a replacement part either. have to order hole panel with another color.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:58 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
DAAARRNN!!!!

I wanna make some changes to my interior now!! - How about some serious painting?? or?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Look at Redline -- http://www.redlinegoods.com
They have some nice interior touches.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
redlinegoods is not really what i am looking for

Old 08-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
You could take off the interior parts. But I would start with something small and you could probably glue them back into place. But I don't know if I would risk it. Or you could go all out and tape and mask things off and paint it whille its still on the car. But that might not be a good idea either

Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sakhi
Hey there mini folks

Please look at the attached picture.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to paint/get that part(s) in white/siver? - Ive seen some minis have that in another color than this boring black i have..

Ive searched the forums for some answers, but no luck really...

Regards
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, this kit comes in colors like red, blue, yellow etc. I used the wood trim (My Gallery) and it worked well.

http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...t=30095&page=1

Jim

Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, this kit comes in colors like red, blue, yellow etc. I used the wood trim (My Gallery) and it worked well.

http://www.carid.com/product.php?pro...t=30095&page=1

Jim
How did this work around the curved edges (like on the dash around the vents)? I was thinking of doing this in my 1st Gen. How thick was the wood? Looks like you did a nice job.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniola
How did this work around the curved edges (like on the dash around the vents)? I was thinking of doing this in my 1st Gen. How thick was the wood? Looks like you did a nice job.
Thanks.

I went with the simulated wood, as it has a very high gloss and you really can't tell. If you look at the OEM English Oak it is real wood with a plactic top coat and looks just like this stuff.

This stuff is simular to the "domed" parts that Mike sells at AC, but much thicker for a more 3D look. If you get it warm (heat gun or leave it in the attic) it is very pliable.

Mine has been in place for several months with no problems, but it can be removed with no trace. (Don't ask me how I know this).

If you plan to do it, shoot me a PM and I will give you the tips I learned for instalation. I messed up one piece and had to order a replacement.

Jim

Old 08-28-2009, 12:41 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
What is the easiest and cheapest way to paint/get that part(s) in white/siver?
Those parts are available from the dealer, but are not cheap: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=51&fg=50

The easiest and cheapest way is probably go to a body shop and have them painted. Any decent body shop should be able to look at it and know how to handle it.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:56 AM
sakhi
1st Gear
Hey thanks for the website!!

Have some questions though!
On the website it looks like the door trims is for the older minis? or am i wrong?

Do you think it would be possible to buy only the door trims and not the dash parts?

Old 08-29-2009, 04:50 AM
jbewley
5th Gear
Hey thanks for the website!!

Have some questions though!
On the website it looks like the door trims is for the older minis? or am i wrong?

Do you think it would be possible to buy only the door trims and not the dash parts?
Ths site I posted is for the second generation mini's. There is another part of the site for the first generation cars.

Sadly they only sell the complete kits, which I think is stupid, but I guess they want to make all the money they can.

Jim

Old 08-29-2009, 10:56 AM
miniola
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jbewley
Thanks.

I went with the simulated wood, as it has a very high gloss and you really can't tell. If you look at the OEM English Oak it is real wood with a plactic top coat and looks just like this stuff.

This stuff is simular to the "domed" parts that Mike sells at AC, but much thicker for a more 3D look. If you get it warm (heat gun or leave it in the attic) it is very pliable.

Mine has been in place for several months with no problems, but it can be removed with no trace. (Don't ask me how I know this).

If you plan to do it, shoot me a PM and I will give you the tips I learned for instalation. I messed up one piece and had to order a replacement.

Jim
So it's pliable with heat and you are able to "wrap" the product completely around the edges of the curved parts. Do you have to cut the edges to fit at all?

One dumb question... they are pliable in heat... and easily removable... how does the heat that builds up in the car in the sun affect them? Any chance they might just become unstuck and fall off?

I wondered about companies that do "auto-wraps". Talked to a local guy yesterday and he said they can do interiors too... with any pattern. I think I might go check it out next week. Maybe this could be an option? Maybe look like cheese... I dunno.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:12 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
So it's pliable with heat and you are able to "wrap" the product completely around the edges of the curved parts. Do you have to cut the edges to fit at all?

One dumb question... they are pliable in heat... and easily removable... how does the heat that builds up in the car in the sun affect them? Any chance they might just become unstuck and fall off?

I wondered about companies that do "auto-wraps". Talked to a local guy yesterday and he said they can do interiors too... with any pattern. I think I might go check it out next week. Maybe this could be an option? Maybe look like cheese... I dunno.
They go "to the edge", but do NOT wrap around it and no cutting is required. My interior is black so it looks fine. I was going to go the "wrap route", but since the door rings will not come off that was not a go.

No, they won't fall off if the car gets hot.

Jim

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 AM
jbewley
5th Gear

Let me clear up something I said in my message above. When I said the "wrap" would not work for me it was because the person doing it was was not local and needed the door rings sent to him. I just noticed that your person is local, so in that case i would highly recommend tryng that method. these kits are fine, but a wrap would be much better IMHO.

Jim

Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Jbewley,
That looks like a great job. I don't understand how this material wraps a compound curve. Like the door trim. I called them and the sales guy couldn't expain. On a compound curve the inside bottom and outside tops are different lengths. So how does this product work. Is it really stretchy?
I'm love to hear your tips...!!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM
jbewley
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Jbewley,
That looks like a great job. I don't understand how this material wraps a compound curve. Like the door trim. I called them and the sales guy couldn't expain. On a compound curve the inside bottom and outside tops are different lengths. So how does this product work. Is it really stretchy?
I'm love to hear your tips...!!
Thanks. The product is very flexable, but not streachy. It actually only covers the flat area right up to the edge where it makes the turn and becomes flat. I find that it looks fine if your door ring is black because you do not notice that it stops. I am not sure what it would look like if the door ring is gray as that might stand out. My interior is all black, except for the knee roll and arm rests, so the wood trim really sets it off IMHO.

I did learn some tricks to putting it on so if you try this send me a PM.

Jim

Old 11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
You can't tell from the pictures. Mine has that "jazzy" checker pattern. If its not a full wrap it would look weird. My return is quite deep. I was at the dealer picking up the new car and they had a Mini "50" years thing going on and they had this mini wrapped in vinyl. It lokked pretty go except in a couple of places where the vinyl has shrunk to expose the cut line. They wrapped compound curves quite well.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Romo.
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I thought it might be better than starting my own. Does anyone have any pictures of their covered door handles?, and was it decided that vinyl wrapping was the best option?